PDA

View Full Version : Star Tours movie

DisneyBob
05-31-2004, 04:44 PM
I don't know how many years we've had the current Star Tours movie.... a long time. Are there any plans to update the ride movie? I would have thought this would have been something for the 50th. Any info?

efoxx
05-31-2004, 04:51 PM
to the best of my knowledge the tale goes like this.
Lucas wanted to update the show. they wanted to include some new ideas such as a trip to tautuine (sp) that would include getting caught up in a speeder race. the only requirement was that Disney upgrade the ride system to be THX compatible, and use digital projectors. Lucas even agreed to make the movie at his expense. but eisner wouldn't pay for the upgrade, he wanted Lucas film to do it all on thier own. they had a rather nasty falling out, and now star tours exists only because of contracts.
the project had advanced to the point where they redesigned some of the exterior of the ride at WDW to look like tautuine. its really a shame. :crying:

Freerider127
05-31-2004, 05:11 PM
It has the potential to become really good, but they are doing nothing with it and it is a shame.

DisneyBob
05-31-2004, 06:24 PM
So is there any hope for a new movie?

DrIndianaJones
05-31-2004, 06:40 PM
Close, but no cigar.

The new film, or should I say films, would have taken the riders to muliple planets (Tatooine was just to be one of them). But since Uncle Eisner wanted George Lucas to foot the entire bill, George said "heck no!" and threatened to pull out of the contract all together (I guess Universal Studios wants Star Tours very, very badly). However, cooler heads prevailed and the idea to revamp the ride was shelved.:(

There is hope though! Since Michael and George hate each other, one can assume that if someone who is likable takes over Disney once Uncle E is gone, a plethora of changes may be headed to a galaxy far, far away.

I also heard that this may come about with the New New Tomorrowland revamp, come 2006 or 2007.

Boingonut
05-31-2004, 09:41 PM
Just Anouther reason to Hate Eisner :mad:

Disney Vault
06-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Please dont ever call him uncle E again. Unless you say mean old uncle E.

EO's Glove
06-01-2004, 02:02 PM
I thought George wanted to revamp the ride to being AOTC's genre.

If that's the case - Big "E" made the right decision and should be thanked.

The new movies are terrible, and to have that junk in DisneyLand would be the worst (yes, worse than having something new).

Maybe I'm getting old "don't need that new fangled stuff".

Maybe not - anyone else have the "ruined Dark Vader experence"?
I'll never again see him like the monster he deserves to be, after that cry baby in AOTC's. What a sissy.

-EOG

DrIndianaJones
06-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Please dont ever call him uncle E again. Unless you say mean old uncle E.
So sue me for using a bit of shorthand :rolleyes:.
Of course I mean big bad, ugly, stupid, mean, old uncle E. I sure wouldn't be referring to him in any sort of nice manner.

aztectodd
06-01-2004, 04:26 PM
I'm definitely for making a new movie for Star Tours. It would really spice up tomorrowland to go with the new space mountain and buzz....however many things must happen for this to go through. Eisner has got to go, whoever the new CEO is must be able to get on Lucas' good side, and then maybe something could be done. It would almost be like a new ride, and one that would start to draw the lines like it used to. I mean, Star Tours has one of if not the best Quene in the park, but you never get to see it cause the wait time is around 5 minutes. I would love to see the ride refreshed with a 30 minute or so wait and people wanting to be in Tomorrowland.

UncleGDogWord
06-02-2004, 05:11 AM
Did not one of the CM's (I think it was C3P0babe) say that Lucas can have the ride shut down?

Friday at 5am begins my 4 hour trek to "The Happiest Place on Earth" and I won't leave there till Wensday. :~D :p :D :fez: