PDA

View Full Version : Star Tours: not only don't you get to Endor, you don't even get to leave

cstephens
05-31-2004, 09:20 AM
We took advantage of the Monday holiday and stayed at DL late on Sunday night after the fireworks. We wandered around a bit and then decided to try to take in a few rides. It's been a couple of years since I've been on Star Tours, and since I recently discovered that I can probably ride it again, we went there. It was cool being able to see everything again, and we were loaded to the far right starspeeder. By loaded, though, I mean that we were told to go to that area, but we were pretty much on our own as to which line to stand in. With four of us, we chose an empty row. We watched the safety video (that lady with the funky hair on the side of her head has been working there for a LONG time, but I digress), and then when the doors opened, we walked into the cabin, still with no CM in sight, mind you. Everyone chose seats and sat down and buckled in. And we sat. And we sat. Well, most of us did anyway.

Two people who had apparently gotten in the line for the front row didn't end up getting seats because the other people didn't go all the way down, leaving one seat on either end of the row, with no CM to give any instructions. So the two people went back outside and waited in the boarding area. We all still sat in the cabin. We then saw a CM walk by, notice that we were all seated and talked to the two people standing outside and then took them elsewhere. And we still sat. We made jokes about calling the DL main phone number and telling them we'd been abandoned inside a Starspeeder. We also made jokes about Star Tours having been turned into Tower of Terror, and we were all apparently just going to disappear from the Starspeeder, never to be heard from again. I've never actually made it to Endor on one of these flights, but I've never not even made the attempt.

Finally, one of the people sitting in the back row unhooked her seat belt (they weren't locked yet, thank goodness) and went back to the loading area and pretty much yelled down the hallway to let them know that we'd been abandoned. She came back shortly, and soon after that, a CM came by. He apologized and made some comment about them having apparently lost an attendant, did all the normal check-your-seatbelt, lock-the-cabin stuff, and then we were off.

What a weird pre-ride.

ToursbabeC3po
05-31-2004, 01:09 PM
That is an embarassment to my attraction!!!! OMG how embarassing. I am sorry this happened to you. the night crew are the newer people but that is still NO excuse for what happened. I worked that day but I was off before the sun went down. I know who worked that night and I am going to embarass them back!
Toursbabe

Wesley815
05-31-2004, 06:32 PM
We had the SAME problem on Saturday night! No CM's were anywhere in the loading area... we were free to walk around to whatever cabin we wanted to. So we just watched down the hallway to see which preshow was ending and went to that one so we could load first. But sure enough, the doors opened and we got on and just sat there FOEVER (at least 5 min, almost 2 ride cycles)... most people in the cabin were just walking around looking at stuff walking in and out of the load and unload area. I got a little nervous when two kids started to open some of the ride control doors (the one with all the seat belt lights). Thankfully just as I was about to get up and go to the control tower room to get a CM, one of them (who looked to be on a break) walked by the unload area and ASKED if we'd be helped yet. There were even more people in the load area by this time, with 2 cabins full with no one around at all. It was very weird and I felt unsafe with so many guests free to do whatever they want around the attraction and the actual cabins. What's the problem with that crew? Did they just think no one would ride this weekend? They even have cameras in each cabin and can watch people WALKING AROUND freely playing with stuff... but I guess they don't care?

Hopefully that improves, otherwise I feel there's going to be a kid or a smartass AP'er who'll open the ride controls and start it. (which has happened in the elevators on Mansion)

I notice this happens during very slow times in the day, such as the last hour the park is open. But that's still no reason to have NO crew in the load/unload/grouping area of a major ride.

MonorailMan
05-31-2004, 06:45 PM
Hopefully that improves, otherwise I feel there's going to be a kid or a smartass AP'er who'll open the ride controls and start it. (which has happened in the elevators on Mansion)
Well, I wouldn't describe them as smartasses. ;)

Wesley815
05-31-2004, 06:55 PM
Well, I wouldn't describe them as smartasses. ;)Sorry, I won't describe them that way again... And sorry to offend anyone :crying:

I'll just use the wording Disney has been using for quite some time now...

p*******der

:p

disNeytEen
05-31-2004, 06:57 PM
How ignorant do you have to be in order to no know that you have people who are "technically" on a ride. Its like sitting on BTMRR just sitting and then finally a CM comes bye, oh you want to ride today! And they wonder why DL is losing its magic. HA! ToursBabeC3po give them some lip!

RagtimePrince
05-31-2004, 07:26 PM
^ That's not just magic, that's basic safety. The disturbing thing is, I've heard of similar experiences from various people, all of which happened at DL. Stuff like Mansion just having an empty elevator open for guests unattended, or Space Mountain just having an open queue after the ride's been shut down and turned off, etc. It happened to me and some friends with Star Tours a couple years back, where we were sent into the row lines and then the attendant just sorta disappeared. Sounds like the apparently frequent rotation of CM's around ride positions doesn't always work, or there's not enough supervision on behalf of supervisors as well as ride attendants. Given the complexity of most attractions at the park, with separated loading and unloading areas and many positions, I can see how one position could very understandably be temporarily understaffed, but leaving guests around active ride controls is 100% inexcusable.

Good thing DOSH wasn't in the house of the mouse at the time.

DCAWhites
05-31-2004, 10:40 PM
Its happened to me before too, but a little bit differently, and actually during a quite busy time. We were loaded into the starspeeder like every other time, the cast member shut the doors and left. Then we sat there for about 5-6 minutes, locked inside the starspeeder, with our seatbelts locked and every door locked, people making jokes and stuff. Not once was any sort of announcement made, no alarms going off, etc. Oh how hilarious it would have been if we would have called 714-781-4000 and asked to be connected with the main phone for the attraction, then explained that we were stuck in the cabin. I need to think of that next time ;).

Anyways, after the 6 minutes the doors on the left opened and the cast member who loaded us came in and told us that "it wasn't me who forgot to start the ride". Looks like someone in the tower wasn't paying attention.... Then she checked the seatbelts again and we rode.

Wesley815
06-01-2004, 07:59 AM
I wonder if tower actually starts the ride cycle? I always thought the CM's did it though the control pannel outside each cabin (where the camera is) kind of like how ToT is setup. I know tower on Tours has camera views of all cabins. IMO on attractions like Star Tours or ToT it's very important to have CM's in position ready to help guests. Wonder how good the score would be if Tours got a mystery guest with no CM's around. ;)

ToursbabeC3po
06-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Well, Things have changed at Star Tours as of today to insure this NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN! Yes, I and many other people took these post very seriously. I cannot go over the details but I can assure you that measures have been taken so that this does not happen again. I am sorry that any of you had to go through this. This is not the service that is expected from a Disney cast member at Disneyland and should have never happened. For it to have happened once is one thing. People make mistakes, but to hear it happened twice makes me sick. I hope that you all find your next visit at Star Tours a Much better Experience!
((((((((((hugs))))))))))
Toursbabec3po

disNeytEen
06-01-2004, 06:50 PM
what did you guys do to ensure it never does?

Lani
06-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Well, Things have changed at Star Tours as of today to insure this NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN!That's really responsive, and quick. Thanks, ToursbabeC3po. :)

ToursbabeC3po
06-01-2004, 06:58 PM
I don't know if I am allowed to get into Rules and regulations of an attraction and disciplinary actions if they are not followed. Lets just say A LOT OF THINGS CHANGED.
I am not talking just one thing a lot of cast member rules changed. I personally think they are being a little on the too strict side. But I would rather have things too strict then too loose like they were.
Toursbabec3po

disNeytEen
06-01-2004, 07:00 PM
Like Lani said thank you for being a responsible CM.

ToursbabeC3po
06-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Thanks for your thanks, But the thanks should go to the Tomorrowland Management team. They were the one to make the changes.

Cloud Buster
06-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Whoa!! That's a scary thought...I have no idea how Star Tours is operated, but the thought of some kid wondering up to the controls inside or outside the ride vehicle unsupervised while a bunch of guests (whose seatbelts haven't been checked) are in there is indeed disturbing.

Kudos, Toursbabe for looking into this!!

Bruce Bergman
06-02-2004, 09:56 AM
ToursBabe: Thanks for bringing it to their attention, and hopefuly the Evening Shift will follow the rules - if there's nobody there during the slower evening times, the cabin doors should remain closed so this can't happen.

I'm sure I could figure out how to start Tours through a cycle, though I'll bet not from inside the cabin. And no, I won't try, promise - I like my AP. But it's not hard when you figure out stuff like that for a living... :D
(And when the sign says "Do NOT push the red button", I don't. There's usually a good reason.)

But I would be the one who (after an appropriate wait) would be picking up the ride phone, finding the "Tower" call button and asking them "Whasssssssssup?!" :confused:

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

ppmuse
06-02-2004, 11:21 AM
Actually, last July the same thing happened to us late at night. My wife and I were on the ride, and nobody was there. All of a sudden, we, as in the people in the seats, were left alone. About five minutes later, someone came in (we didn't even think about undoing our seat belts) and told us that our car was having problems, and we switched to another simulator. It was weird, to be left alone like that.