PDA

View Full Version : Warplane Flyover at Disneyland

thamnarestan
10-31-2001, 02:55 PM
Last Friday (I think), early in the evening (mabye 8pm), I saw a F-14 Navy warplane fly over the northwest portion of Disneyland. It was very loud and all the guests and CMs I was with turned their heads. I was pretty scared by the event, as were most other people (one teenager said "Hey, that's cool!"). I was wondering if anyone else witnessed this, what they thought, and if they know anything else about it.

(BTW, I'm not completely positive that it was an F-14, though the wing shape looked like it, but I am sure it was a military warplane. And it was flying fast.)

rexfarms
10-31-2001, 03:16 PM
Is there military base anywhere near Disneyland. The only one I know of is Edwards. Not in Orange County.

Ghoulish Delight
10-31-2001, 03:27 PM
There are a TON of military bases around here (OC). First off, there's Pendleton to the south. And to the west of DL is a Naval supply base with an airstrip, really close (a little west of Beach and Katella, for those who know the area). Those are the bigger ones. My guess is that the jet you saw was out of Pendleton, which is Marines. It's not unusual to see military aircraft over DL. There are a lot of helicopters stationed at that naval base and I see them a lot.

I was pretty scared by the event, as were most other people

Scared? I'd be conforted. With Pendleton, a couple other small bases, and Edwards within a blink of an eye by jet, OC is about the safest place to be, air power wise.

thamnarestan
10-31-2001, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by rexfarms
Is there military base anywhere near Disneyland. The only one I know of is Edwards. Not in Orange County.

Well, there's an aircraft carrier off Long Beach right now, and that's where they're launching air cover missions right now, I believe.

thamnarestan
10-31-2001, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight Scared? I'd be conforted. With Pendleton, a couple other small bases, and Edwards within a blink of an eye by jet, OC is about the safest place to be, air power wise.

Well, I guess you had to be there.

First, all we heard was the very loud sound of a jet flying low. (it could have been an airline for all we knew.)

Then, when the warplane became visible, all I thought was that an airliner or missile or something like that was headed for Disneyland and the jet was put up as a desperate attempt to defend the park.

That's why I was scared.

Ralph Wiggum
10-31-2001, 03:53 PM
I saw one fly over my work on monday night....i work in Irvine by the John Wayne Airport(OC Airport)

Dreamstaker
10-31-2001, 07:17 PM
They are probably practicing.

ripplededge
10-31-2001, 09:46 PM
I live right by the Los Alamitos National Guard Base and it is very common to see fighter planes and Bombers flying extremely low by my house. They are very loud and my dad and I usually bolt out the door to catch a glimpse of what kind of plane it is. He works for Boeing, so it always shocks the hell out of him when I can tell the difference between a Hornet and a Super Hornet from just the belly of the plane.

But, for you folks in the park... no worries... just enjoy your day. Remember Disneyland is not like the outside world. Once you're inside, you don't seem to think about what's going on the outside (well I guess unless a fighter plane going mach 2 bolts through the sky and gets everyone's attention... that would suck. Basically what just happened).

Nigel2
10-31-2001, 10:37 PM
I don't think Oceanside is considered part of orange county, but I will have to ask my friend that works at Pendelton.

Ghoulish Delight
11-01-2001, 07:22 AM
I don't think Oceanside is considered part of orange county, but I will have to ask my friend that works at Pendelton.

Yeah, okay. It's TECHNICALLY San Diego. But it's the northern-most bit of SD county. And it's only about 30 minutes south of DLR, like 5 seconds in an F14.

Ralph mentioned John Wayne. Are they still posting fighters at all airports?

80S ERA
11-01-2001, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by thamnarestan

Well, there's an aircraft carrier off Long Beach right now, and that's where they're launching air cover missions right now, I believe.

I wonder if it is protecting the port of Long Beach. It would make sense to guard it since it is the largest port in the world and attacking it would possibly have an effect greater than the WTC attack.

Everything that provides some type of central resource these days are heavily guarded - Nuclear power plants, water systems, etc. I noticed 2 destroyers right on the shore next to the Santa Nofree(sp?) nuclear plant recently.

hbquikcomjamesl
11-01-2001, 08:41 AM
Santa Nofree(sp?) nuclear plant

Is that anywhere near San Onofre? :p

80S ERA
11-01-2001, 09:45 AM
Is that anywhere near San Onofre? :)

Thanks for the correction, wise guy! :D You'll have to exuse my spelling at times. Sometimes I even forget how to spell tthe. Is it with 1 't' or 2? :D Maybe that's why I went into engineering...

Nigel2
11-01-2001, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight

Yeah, okay. It's TECHNICALLY San Diego. But it's the northern-most bit of SD county. And it's only about 30 minutes south of DLR, like 5 seconds in an F14.

30 minutes right, how fast and at what time are you driving? In light traffic its like 40-50 minutes to get there.

Ghoulish Delight
11-02-2001, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2

30 minutes right, how fast and at what time are you driving? In light traffic its like 40-50 minutes to get there.

Slow poke, get off the road and otta my way!! :p Yeah, I average 80 when I can, so my driving times are occasionally skewed. But my point is still the same. It would not be a total shock for a plane outta Pendleton to be over DLR.

Nigel2
11-03-2001, 10:07 PM
Hmmm, I will have to give your lisence plate number to the CHP:D I can't remeber but isn't Pendelton south of the checkpoint? I hate it when the PAL lane isn't open and there is huge traffic there.

thamnarestan
11-04-2001, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by 80S ERA

I wonder if it is protecting the port of Long Beach. It would make sense to guard it since it is the largest port in the world and attacking it would possibly have an effect greater than the WTC attack.

Everything that provides some type of central resource these days are heavily guarded - Nuclear power plants, water systems, etc. I noticed 2 destroyers right on the shore next to the Santa Nofree(sp?) nuclear plant recently.

The first few days after the attacks, the Navy or Air Force always had some jets in the air flying air cover missions. Now, they usually aren't in the air at all times, but there are always planes on standby.

The planes launched from the carrier covered all of the Los Angeles and Orange County area, I believe, including Long Beach.