PDA

View Full Version : Ho Jo versus PP

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-30-2004, 01:32 PM
I was reading the thread about PP. First I saw that they have AP nights, that appealed to me since we are new APers, only $59 a night versus $49 a night that DH can get with his airline employee discount at HoJos.
Does PP have refrigerators? When will the construction be complete, the remodeling? We are planning on going again in early October. Are the rooms spacious? Has anyone stayed at both Ho Jo and PP and have a comparison? THANKS!

leota's necklace
05-31-2004, 11:26 AM
I was reading the thread about PP. First I saw that they have AP nights, that appealed to me since we are new APers, only $59 a night versus $49 a night that DH can get with his airline employee discount at HoJos.
Does PP have refrigerators? When will the construction be complete, the remodeling? We are planning on going again in early October. Are the rooms spacious? Has anyone stayed at both Ho Jo and PP and have a comparison? THANKS!

I haven't stayed at HoJo's, but I can tell you a little about my recent stay at the Pier (early April).

We got a room on a refurbished floor. The decor is very nice -- not over-the-top but noticeable theming if you look for it. The hallway carpets have a pattern that recalls the Triton Carousel; the room numbers on the doors are carved into surfboards; the headboards on the beds look like sand castles, etc...there's much less noticeable "character theming" than at the DLH; it's beach-themed. Light woods and bright colors.

The room was a decent size. My gauge for this is the fact that my roommates are notorious for leaving piles of stuff around their beds, and I was still able to navigate around the room easily. The couch folds out into a very comfy daybed, so with the two queen beds, our room could have slept five if needed. We did have a fridge (that worked very well), as well as a coffeemaker and a hairdryer, and a large television with a remote. The telly and fridge were hidden in a lovely armoire. I can't remember if we had a microwave or not. The desk was set up to serve a working vacation, with a swing-out computer ledge, and I think there was internet access available. The thermostat was digital and easily adjusted.

The room faced the pool (under rehab), which didn't provide a spectacular view;the rooms on the other side of the hall have, of course, a view of the Pier. Our view certainly wasn't horrible, but consisted mostly of the pool and the parking lot south of the DLH (Simba, I think?). Since we weren't in the room much it wasn't a big deal.

The bathroom was nicely roomy. The shower had a working massaging showerhead that was tall enough to allow me to wash my hair with no problem (I'm 5'10"), and the curtain was hung on a bar that bowed out past the perimeter of the tub, to give a little more elbow room -- a VERY nice touch. Lots of counter space on the vanity inside the bathroom. There were additional mirrors and counters outside the bathroom so more than one person could primp at a time. Disney toiletries were available. There was a wicker basket for towels we wanted to have replaced with clean ones.

I'd definitely put the room on par with those at the Coast Anaheim, which is where I stay when I'm not on-property. I'd stay there again, for sure, especially at AP rates. I like staying on-property for psychological reasons: it feels like I never leave the Parks. :) Don't forget the hotels still offer package delivery so you can have your purchases waiting for you at the bell desk the next day; this is something we appreciated. The exclusive entrance to DCA also has a nice feel to it: the gate opens with your room key and then you walk down a shady lane to your personal entrance to the Park.

It wasn't a suite, of course, but our room would have been perfectly comfortable for a family of four. Your kids might even want to fight over the sofabed. ;) And the glass elevator from the lobby will prolly be a hit, too. Hey, for the extra ten bucks, give it a shot!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-31-2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks for that EXCELLENT description. I may just have to give it a try. The refrigerator thing is a big deal to me, since we love to take fruit and other healthy snacks for the kids.
I will call to see about the AP rates and make sure it is still $59 and when their construction will be done.
Again I appreciate your great tour of the hotel.

kkmickey
05-31-2004, 12:48 PM
I love Howard Johnson's - we have stayed there many times, but if you have kids of any age, I would suggest staying on site. The atmosphere is more "Disney", and it is just more convenient. I haven't stayed at Paradise Pier (yet - I will be there June 11 and 12!) but I have stayed at DH and LOVED staying on site. With your discounts, if you can get a good price on site, I would DEFINITELY do it. Have fun!