PDA

View Full Version : Yamabuki?

Alpha1mom
05-30-2004, 07:23 AM
Hi,
I see only 2 comments on the restuarant review for Yamibuki- Not good!

Does anyone have any positive comments? Is the lunch prices the same as dinner? (I don't want to spend a fortune if that bad)(I'd rather spend my fortune at Blue Bayou)

I'd appreciate any info

Thanks!

cstephens
05-30-2004, 08:04 AM
I've only eaten there twice quite some time ago, once at the sushi bar, and once at the tables. The sushi is ok but not spectacular. Guess it just depends on what your tastes are. The prices are slightly high, but with our AP discount, the prices seemed more reasonable, so it depends on whether you have an AP. I didn't have any non-sushi stuff, but it looked good, and the people who did have it seemed to really like it. I think the restaurant is very comfortable, and the service was good. I probably wouldn't choose to go there again, but I wouldn't object to it if a friend wanted to go.

ER Nurse
05-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Hi,
I have been lurking for awhile on these boards and decided to respond to this post. My husband and I dined at Yamibuki back in November. Following the meal which was very expensive my husband became very ill with awful GI symptoms.
I loved the atmosphere; it was very nice. But overall....I would not go back again.
Lisa

mrs_toad
05-30-2004, 09:10 AM
Following the meal which was very expensive my husband became very ill with awful GI symptoms.

Thanks for responding Lisa, that's good to know. I guess that's why my husband won't join me for sushi....anywhere!

leota's necklace
05-30-2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks for responding Lisa, that's good to know. I guess that's why my husband won't join me for sushi....anywhere!

As a side note: fish used in American sushi/sashimi is required to be frozen beforehand to a certain temperature, which will kill any possible parasites. It's been a federal requirement since 2000, I believe.

I'm not saying it's not possible to get sick on it -- but parasites won't be the reason; safe handling might.

sambo
05-31-2004, 09:50 AM
As a side note: fish used in American sushi/sashimi is required to be frozen beforehand to a certain temperature, which will kill any possible parasites. It's been a federal requirement since 2000, I believe.

Not true. If it is made at time of consuming - it can be fresh. If it is made to be packaged or purchased later, there are additional requirements.

I have had good luck with Yamabuki. While their prices are a tad on the high side, the food was superb. The service was excellent. I have not had a bad or even an "off" experience there.

Your mileage may vary...

AVP
05-31-2004, 10:17 AM
I don't get to go to Yamabuki as often as I would like, because Tony has a soy allergy and there isn't much there he can eat.

That said, I've enjoyed the food at every meal I've had there. The service is always a bit disjointed - they just aren't as coordinated and efficient as I would expect for a restaurant which gets such high reviews from the local food critics.

I've never tried their sushi bar, although the very first sushi I ever ate was Yamabuki sushi served at a Disneyland press event. I have an aquaintance who often served as a host for foreign media, and would do anything to be assigned to the Japanese media, so she could go to Yamabuki.

AVP

leota's necklace
05-31-2004, 10:39 AM
Not true. If it is made at time of consuming - it can be fresh. If it is made to be packaged or purchased later, there are additional requirements.

My mistake. I'd actually seen my information posted as fact on several websites but now have found no mention of that requirement on the actual fda.gov site. Since I live inland (far, far inland) I hadn't considered other possibilities.

So, how is the sushi at Yamabuki, folks? I've heard indifferent reports. We can get reasonably good stuff (even here in Tucson), and I've eaten spectacular sushi at Morimoto in Philly, so I'm interested to know how Disney-property sushi measures up. A day at the Park and then a belly full of sushi could be the Best Day Ever, in my book.

Dlandmom
05-31-2004, 11:30 AM
...I've eaten spectacular sushi at Morimoto in Philly...

The one and only time I ate there I got sick afterwards...lasted right after we left the restaurant until about 3 hours later...not a fun feeling. That said, the restaurant was decent...the dishes were interesting...the service was awful. My brother paid for some travellers cheques he had from a recent trip. The waitress left and never came back with change (it would've been a 5% tip if she had kept it). We finally had to flag down the manager who said he'd look into it. All he did was send the waitress back to our table with a puzzled look. She asked what the problem was...we told her we didn't get any change from our payment. Long story short...she didn't know she could get change from travellers cheques. So, if our change had been $49 instead of about $10, the restaurant keeps the whole thing? Or did she think that was her tip?

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to trying Yamabuki at some point...haven't been there yet, but generally I've heard good things.

JeffG
05-31-2004, 02:40 PM
[derail]The one and only time I ate there I got sick afterwards...lasted right after we left the restaurant until about 3 hours later...not a fun feeling.

If that is the case, it is not very likely that the food at the restaurant made you sick. In most cases, food poisoning takes several hours (often even a full day) before it causes any symptoms. From what you describe, it is more likely that you had some sort of an illness that was simply triggered by eating. You probably would have gotten sick no matter where you ate...

-Jeff

AVP
05-31-2004, 02:43 PM
So, how is the sushi at Yamabuki, folks? I've heard indifferent reports. We can get reasonably good stuff (even here in Tucson), and I've eaten spectacular sushi at Morimoto in Philly, so I'm interested to know how Disney-property sushi measures up. A day at the Park and then a belly full of sushi could be the Best Day Ever, in my book.I am not "educated" in the ways of sushi, and Yamabuki was the first sushi I'd ever had... so I think it's pretty good! cstephens posted that the sushi was "ok but not spectacular."

AVP

millionairegirl
05-31-2004, 07:13 PM
So, how is the sushi at Yamabuki, folks? I've heard indifferent reports. We can get reasonably good stuff (even here in Tucson), and I've eaten spectacular sushi at Morimoto in Philly, so I'm interested to know how Disney-property sushi measures up. A day at the Park and then a belly full of sushi could be the Best Day Ever, in my book.

We love sushi! We've eaten at some great places, some pretty bad places and every type of place in between. We also go out to fish markets and buy our own sushi grade fish and make our own. I would label Yamabuki pretty darn high. It's not quite as good as, say, Sushi Roku, but it's pretty good. I was actually surprised by the reasonableness of the prices. In my book, it's one of the best restaurants on Disney property.

Dlandmom
05-31-2004, 07:59 PM
If that is the case, it is not very likely that the food at the restaurant made you sick. In most cases, food poisoning takes several hours (often even a full day) before it causes any symptoms. From what you describe, it is more likely that you had some sort of an illness that was simply triggered by eating. You probably would have gotten sick no matter where you ate...

-Jeff

We WERE at the restaurant for 2 1/2 hours (part of the "stellar" service that night), so I still think it's possible it was something I ate at the restaurant. You're absolutely right, though, that it could've been something else.

prudence
06-01-2004, 11:06 AM
We ate at Yamabuki in August of 2002. It wasn't as good as this fabulous (and cheap!) place we went to in Victoria, BC, but it was okay. We had good luck with the service. We got a "motherly" sort of waitress. My husband's been all over the world and likes all sorts of intersting cuisine, so he was more adventurous. He wanted to order something (I forget what) because he'd seen it on Iron Chef. The waitress was surprised that he would order that, but really pleased and showed him how to mix it together with the condiments (like when she serves it to her family). She kept checking back to see how he liked it. That made it fun. You could see how excited she was that a westerner was enjoying some of "her" food.

Me, I had the chicken teriyaki. :rolleyes:

TP2000
06-01-2004, 01:31 PM
I've been to Yamabuki several times for lunch in the past few years, and I've enjoyed it every time. It's a nice break to walk over from the heat and frenzy of DCA for lunch. I've always had very gracious, efficient service. The food has always been very good, although I don't like the ice cream they serve on the dessert menu. I'm not a Sushi expert, but I occasionally order it at other restaurants or Sushi bars. The food at Yamabuki always seemed very good.

It's very out of the way and off the beaten path. Every time I am in there it seems to be almost all Disney executives/manager types on their lunch hour. The service is not at all like the standard Disney restaurant though, in that it's not Disneyized one bit. There is no corny "Hi Gang! My name is Jeffrey and I'll be your waiter tonight!" type stuff. The Japanese-American staff at Yamabuki are quiet and very gracious in their service, making it one of the more unique DLR restaurants to eat at.

Now that I think about it, I'd go to Yamabuki more if it wasn't so far removed from the rest of the Resort.