PDA

View Full Version : Key to the Kingdom?

keyholder
05-28-2004, 06:50 PM
Greetings,
I have searched the forums here regarding keys to Disneyland given out back in the 50's but have not able to find info for my particular situation. In February 1956 when I was all of 4, I traveled with my parents to Disneyland. We visited the Golden Horseshoe and were selected to appear on the radio program from there called the Magic Kingdom. It was hosted by Don Novice and we won some prizes such as fishing poles and a washing machine. I still have photos, newspaper articles, etc. I was also presented with a key that has the Castle and "Disneyland" on the front and the Yale key company name on the back along with a pin so it could be worn. Can anyone shed light on this key? Is there anyone else out there that also appeared on that show and received a key like the one I have? I called the Disney folks and am waiting to talk to someone from their archive department. By the way, I also have a record which is a recording of the show which might shed some light on the key and it's use but in this day of cd's I must find a record player to listen to it. Remember record players? Thanks in advance, Genese

Forbin
05-28-2004, 11:01 PM
I heard about the Lifetime Key but I don't know about yours. The Lifetime key comes from being at Disney at a certain day in 1976 if I remember right.

keyholder
05-30-2004, 09:41 AM
Thanks Forbin for the reply. I've read about keys given out the first day Disneyland opened, keys or passes for park births, etc. Fun to explore this! Still looking for a record player that handles 78 rpm. :D

Tigertail777
05-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Most 1970's record players had 78 rpm, but many didnt "advertise it" they dont have anything that actually says "78 rpm" on them, sometimes you just shift the speed handle into a third position that isnt lablelled. Word of caution however, some 78 rpm records are not EXACTLY 78 rpm, especially homemade type records. In order to get the best recording, you need a variable speed tuner. Many of the early "school house" record players from the 40's and 50's have variable tuners due to the fact they needed them to synchronize with the old film slide projectors. Most of these kind have a RCA jack as well, which is ideally what you need to record directly onto another media (tape or cd).

If you dont mind shelling out some bucks, most places have local companies that will convert records for you onto cd's (generally costs around $20 an hour). Look in your phone book under audio conversion, or record preservation.

I would say you would be better off doing it yourself... do what I did and look on ebay for the kind of record player you need, you can generally get them fairly cheap (less than what you would pay for professional audio conversion). Once you have it in a new format, you can take it into the computer and clean up the sound removing hiss etc. if you get some cheap software.

End of audio preservation 101 ;)