PDA

View Full Version : New "Discover the Magic" Guided Tour starts 5/29 at Disneyland

AVP
05-28-2004, 09:57 AM
A new tour, based losely on the "Family Magic" tour currently offered at the Magic Kingdom, will be offered at Disneyland starting tomorrow, May 29.

"Discover the Magic" is a designed for families, and is highly character-based. The tour starts with a meet-and-greet with one of Mickey's friends. Participants then follow a tour guide on a trip through Disneyland, looking for clues and meeting characters along the way. (These encounters are not designed as photo or autograph opportunities - just quick meet-and-greets)

The tour leads groups onto Tom Sawyer Island for a special adventure, and includes a treat midway through. It ends with a meet-and-greet with Mickey Mouse. The experience is highly interactive and requires lots of moving about and a willingness (by parents, too!) to just be a kid and be a little silly.

Tickets are $49 per person for the first two guests, and $39 per person for each additional guest.

Annual Passholders and Cast Members pay $39 for the first two guests, and $29 for each additional guest.

Guests with disabilities are welcome, and should be aware that the nature of the tour includes climbing stairs and crawling through caves on Tom Sawyer Island.

LSPoorEeyorick
05-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Guests with disabilities are welcome, and should be aware that the nature of the tour includes climbing stairs and crawling through caves on Tom Sawyer Island.

That doesn't sound too welcoming...

As nice as the TSI atmosphere is for such a family tour, it's a bummer that, say, chidren in wheelchairs won't be able to do much on it.

AVP
05-28-2004, 11:14 AM
That doesn't sound too welcoming...

As nice as the TSI atmosphere is for such a family tour, it's a bummer that, say, chidren in wheelchairs won't be able to do much on it.I haven't been on the tour, and I don't know how adaptable it is yet. I imagine that, should there be a child who uses a wheelchair on the tour, certain changes can be made to make it more inclusive. And TSI is only a portion of the tour, which is quite extensive from the little I've been told.

But I can't address that until I take the tour. And I think it very wise of Disney to explain the nature of the tour in advance, so people know what to expect.

AVP

AVP
06-03-2004, 02:52 PM
But I can't address that until I take the tour. OK, now I've taken the tour. We're running a review of it later this week, but I can address this particular point.

By some strange coincidence, there was a child using a wheelchair during the preview tour we took. And honestly, if I did not know that the tour was adapted to accomodate the child, I would not have suspected that there was anything different. ALL of the activities on TSI were completely accessible to the child, who was having as much (or more- she loved the "bridge walk") fun as anyone.

There *is* a LOT of walking on this tour, so it's good for people to know that in advance. But they can absolutely accomodate a guest using a wheelchair, with no noticable change to the tour.

AVP

cmpeter
06-14-2004, 09:38 AM
We just signed up for this tour and will be taking in on the 29th of June. On the Disney site it says that strollers are not recommended. For those of you that have taken the tour...do you think it would be OK to take an small umbrella stroller and say, not bring it over to TSI, but have it handy for the rest of the tour...in case my little one gets too tired?

AVP
06-14-2004, 10:07 AM
We just signed up for this tour and will be taking in on the 29th of June. On the Disney site it says that strollers are not recommended. For those of you that have taken the tour...do you think it would be OK to take an small umbrella stroller and say, not bring it over to TSI, but have it handy for the rest of the tour...in case my little one gets too tired?I think the reason they ask you not to bring a stroller is because it makes group movement a little more difficult - you'll need to stop and find a place to park the stroller at every stop, and then have to pick it up again before the group can move on. I don't believe strollers are even allowed on TSI, so that may be the other reason they suggest that you don't bring one.

AVP

SuzanneSLO
06-18-2004, 03:05 PM
Thanks to MousePlanet and to AVP in particular for posting the information about this tour. I took the 2 pm tour on Sunday 6/13 with my 6 YO and 8 YO grandchildren. It was our first day at DL and the highlight of our trip! Expensive, even with the AP discount, but especially reasonable for us becuase, as the only guests, we had a private tour for a lot less than the usual price! :D -- Suzanne

got2travel
06-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Aw man, and I was thinking about taking that tour on 6/13 but decided against it. Would have just been me and my 8 yr old so still would have been a small group. Anyway, glad you had fun.

cmpeter
06-18-2004, 03:41 PM
Suzanne...will I be a big pain in the behind mom if I bring an umbrella stroller on this tour?

SuzanneSLO
06-21-2004, 07:54 AM
CMPeter> I can't really answer the question regarding the umbrella stroller. Becuase we were the only ones on our tour, nothing, including getting autographs and photos with each character, really disrupted our flow.

I would say that even pushing an empty stroller would limit your ability to fully participate in the tour. We marched, curtseyed/bowed, moseyed and "bridge walked" our way through DL, often using our hands as well to play instruments, blow a kiss, wave and carry pirate gear.

The tour starts in the area which I believe is the "tour garden" next to City Hall. You could always leave the stroller there if your tour was too crowded. The tour ends in Toontown, so you could catch the train back to Main Street if you needed to be reunited with your abandoned stroller.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Got2Travel> Sorry you didn't tour with us. I hope you have the opportunity to take the tour another time.

- Suzanne

cmpeter
06-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Thanks...that was just the kind of information I needed. I think I'll take your advice and leave it behind.