PDA

View Full Version : This Geek's State of Disneyland Report 5/2004

Pages : [1] 2

Gemini Cricket
05-28-2004, 09:15 AM
:geek: From the Desk of Gemini Cricket :geek:

A couple of things I have noticed at the Disneyland Resort during my last trip:

1. Waiting for 'Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln' I took a look at Walt's office. The sign on the wall said 'Walt's Offices'. That in itself didn't bug me. However, there is a description of both offices on that wall. But there's only one office. The second office on the right was shipped off to Walt Disney World. That needs to be updated or Walt's office needs to come back.

2. Looking at the bad state of the Tiki Room roof, I noticed 2 lanterns I didn't notice before. They are 2 electrical multi-colored fixtures that hang way above the attraction area. They're beautiful.

3. In the queue to Indy, I noticed that the Sallah spiel is not read by John Rhyes-Davies any more. That ain't him. In fact, I heard other Padders saying the same thing. The should have paid the man the $$$ to record the new spiel. True Indy fans will notice this every time.

4. Indy - snake not working. It happens. Snake's sound effect works, snake doesn't move.

5. Bear scratching his back on the Rivers of America doesn't work any more. He just sits there. He needs new fur or a haircut. The gophers, squirrels, gerbils whatever they are that poke their heads out of the wrecked train on Rivers also need to be fixed. They're sun bleached.

6. Did see some face characters and Chip and Dale on Tom Sawyer's Island. That was nice.

7. One Exit sign truly bugged me on the Haunted Mansion. The rest were bright, but this one you can't avoid seeing. It's Ghoulish Delight's TIXE sign. During the ballroom scene, you can see the reflection of an EXIT sign that is behind you. You see the brilliant scene below with a huge glowing green eyesore staring back at you. That one needs to go.

8. I waited 35 minutes in line at Taste Pilots for a burger. The whole 1 CM for two lines needs to be rethought. I filed a complaint with the Manager. She said she's heard that complaint before.

9. The Grand Californian lobby is brilliant. Stunning. Love it.

10. It's a Small World: Kids on the moon are still singing from Jingle Bell songbooks. Xmas is over children, time to move on.

11. Ride of Pooh still stinks. No line ever. Eeyore figurine not invited to Pooh's birthday party. That Pooh is a jerk.

12. The chocolate cake at the French Market rocks.

13. Monorail Purple never coming back per Monorail cast member. It is being used for parts. Orange coming back in Summer.

14. I spoke with a CM on Indy. (Now, I don't know if it's true...) He said that the drop in Charlie Shaft on the Tower of Terror is longer than the rest. Now I don't know if he means lnger by inches or what, but that's what he told me. (GD will disagree with me on this, but I'm just repeating what was said.)

15. I talked to a cast member in Adventureland who actually loves Paul Pressler. He said the company was run much 'tighter' under his guidance. Interesting.

16. Saw a flawless Fantasmic on Sunday. Awesome. It was my partner Ralphie's first time seeing the DL version. He says it is far superior to WDW's version. :)

That's all I can think of for now.

Let's discuss.

sediment
05-28-2004, 09:32 AM
You should send it on to Cast Member Matt, to get those animatronics fixed, as well as that Adventureland CM.

BlueEeyore
05-28-2004, 09:35 AM
Agreed.

:fez:

Cadaverous Pallor
05-28-2004, 09:40 AM
8. I waited 35 minutes in line at Taste Pilots for a burger. The whole 1 CM for two lines needs to be rethought. I filed a complaint with the Manager. She said she's heard that complaint before.I absolutely hate that style of eatery. They have the same set up at Hungry Bear and Village Haus. As soon as the place gets a normal lunch/dinner rush, it's insanity. I hate it!!! The only time this set up works is if there isn't a line, and to that I say, duh. They've used this arrangement forever, and I can't figure out why.

mamabot
05-28-2004, 09:46 AM
8. I waited 35 minutes in line at Taste Pilots for a burger. The whole 1 CM for two lines needs to be rethought. I filed a complaint with the Manager. She said she's heard that complaint before.

And somehow, I walked in to TPG a few minutes after and had my food at least 5 minutes before zapppop sat down with his food, at probably 15 minutes before GC & Ralphie. The system there relaly sucks. and the food is not so great either.

ken77
05-28-2004, 10:08 AM

4. Indy - snake not working. It happens. Snake's sound effect works, snake doesn't move.

5. Bear scratching his back on the Rivers of America doesn't work any more. He just sits there. He needs new fur or a haircut. The gophers, squirrels, gerbils whatever they are that poke their heads out of the wrecked train on Rivers also need to be fixed. They're sun bleached.

Let's discuss.

Very disappointing. For those who visit the park on a regular basis, how long does something like this stay broken, before it is fixed? I'm assuming that a CM working on the attraction is reporting this and it just isn't getting fixed in a timely manner???

Ghoulish Delight
05-28-2004, 10:32 AM
The indy snake is not 'broken.' The one that's in there never move and never will. During the recent extneded rehab, they were planning on replacing the moving one with an entirely new one, which apprantly has been delayed. They put this stationary one in as a place holder until they get a chance to put the animated one in.

Rallymonkey23
05-28-2004, 10:40 AM
I waited 35 minutes in line at Taste Pilots for a burger. The whole 1 CM for two lines needs to be rethought. I filed a complaint with the Manager. She said she's heard that complaint before.

I have the same problem at the Mexican place at DL. I have to wait in line for the Mexican food, then I have to wait in line to get the bbq food. I asked them if they could use the doorway in the back to get my bbq food and they said no. So by the time I pay and get to my table the food is cold. :mad:

The Grand Californian lobby is brilliant. Stunning. Love it.

Agreed!

Ride of Pooh still stinks. No line ever. Eeyore figurine not invited to Pooh's birthday party. That Pooh is a jerk.

Agreed!

I spoke with a CM on Indy. (Now, I don't know if it's true...) He said that the drop in Charlie Shaft on the Tower of Terror is longer than the rest. Now I don't know if he means lnger by inches or what, but that's what he told me. (GD will disagree with me on this, but I'm just repeating what was said.)

Probably the same castmember that was talking to me about TOT. He said that every ride is different. I tried to tell him that it's not that way yet. But, he insisted otherwise. :rolleyes:

I talked to a cast member in Adventureland who actually loves Paul Pressler. He said the company was run much 'tighter' under his guidance. Interesting.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Saw a flawless Fantasmic on Sunday. Awesome. It was my partner Ralphie's first time seeing the DL version. He says it is far superior to WDW's version. :)

That's all I can think of for now.

Thanks for the TR,GC! Sounds like you and Ralphie had a good time. :)

LSPoorEeyorick
05-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Eeyore figurine not invited to Pooh's birthday party. That Pooh is a jerk.

*sniff* I'm sure Eeyore had some other, more important appointment. Or.. *sniff*

I never realized that before! Mean-ace Pooh.

By the way, it was great to meet you and Ralphie! Such lovely fellows.

mrs_toad
05-28-2004, 10:46 AM

11. Ride of Pooh still stinks. No line ever. Eeyore figurine not invited to Pooh's birthday party. That Pooh is a jerk.

Let's discuss.
I totally agree. The best part of the attraction is looking back at Max, Buff and Melvin. The rest of Pooh is mostly crap!

Another observation, Pooh seems to be the leader of a pretty tight clique.

Gemini Cricket
05-28-2004, 12:51 PM
You should send it on to Cast Member Matt, to get those animatronics fixed, as well as that Adventureland CM.
CM Matt could get the other CM fixed. That's gotta hurt. :D

The indy snake is not 'broken.'
So, this snake is not the snake that used to move? I seem to remember a snake that darted forward just as you left his area...

And somehow, I walked in to TPG a few minutes after and had my food at least 5 minutes before zapppop sat down with his food, at probably 15 minutes before GC & Ralphie.
Well, here's what I figured out. mammabot's line had 1 CM for 1 line because her CM was on the very left. Apparently, either that register only handles one line or only one line formed.
Either way, when we were ready to eat, the others were almost done.

how long does something like this stay broken, before it is fixed? I'm assuming that a CM working on the attraction is reporting this and it just isn't getting fixed in a timely manner???
I'm not sure. If I was a CM, I'd be a pain in the butt reporting it. But then again, maybe they do and the deaf ears are higher up. Maybe they have a 'fix it' schedule where they get to things all at the same time later on...

I have the same problem at the Mexican place...

Probably the same castmember that was talking to me about TOT. He said that every ride is different. I tried to tell him that it's not that way yet. But, he insisted otherwise. :rolleyes:

Exactly. The food service thing needs a think-thru again. Lots of times, guests don't get the whole back and forth thang. It's stinks that a CM has to explain it over and over. I agree with CP, when there's no line it's fine but when does that happen? Mostly never. Maybe on a Monday in April or something. :D

As for the CM I talked to, he was at Indy. Maybe he doesn't know what's up. It's possible. Aren't the CMs land locked now? (This isn't us bagging on CMs or anything. Just observations of true Disneyland geeks. :D)

By the way, it was great to meet you and Ralphie! Such lovely fellows.
Same here. We had lots of fun.

I totally agree. The best part of the attraction is looking back at Max, Buff and Melvin. The rest of Pooh is mostly crap!
Yes. I pointed out M, B & M to Ralphie and he tripped out. Thought it was cool to pay homage to the attraction that is now dead and gone.

Yeah, maybe if I was invited to the party, I wouldn't care about poor Eeyore either. :D
Actually, I would. :)

17. Oh I forgot. I showed a CM my Premium Annual Passport and said to her, 'Here's my badge of honor of those who are unliked by some CMs.' She looked at me and raised her eyebrow, 'Uh. Why would I think that? My friends are APers. They're here everyday. Whether we like it or not, APers put a lot of money into this park enabling us to stay working. We love APers.'
:eek: I shut my mouth real tight. We then talked about primo places to work in DL. Strollers seemed to be a great place to be...

Ghoulish Delight
05-28-2004, 01:01 PM
So, this snake is not the snake that used to move? I seem to remember a snake that darted forward just as you left his area...There are 3 snakes involved. The original snake that did indeed strike at the car as you remember. That snake was removed during the recent major rehab, to be replaced with a new (and presumably improved) moving snake. The new snake didn't make it in time for the scheduled re-opening date. So instead of delaying the opening, they built a 3rd snake, one that doesn't move at all, to be a place holder. At least, that was what was reported here on the board. What I don't know is if the replacement moving snaks has subsequently been completed and is just waiting around for the next time they can schedule refurb time for it.

Gemini Cricket
05-28-2004, 01:07 PM
There are 3 snakes involved.
See that's what threw me. The current snake and the one removed look like the same snake to me.

Ghoulish Delight
05-28-2004, 01:13 PM
See that's what threw me. The current snake and the one removed look like the same snake to me.They're close, and it doesn't surprise me that you, not having the opportunity to see it very often, didn't notice the difference. Even as a regular rider, when I first saw it, I couldn't put my finger on the difference, it was just different enough to raise my eyebrow and wonder. Then I came on the board and saw that explanation and it made sense.

mrs_toad
05-28-2004, 01:15 PM
I guess I should have put a ;) at the end of this statement. It was meant as a joke in regard to the other thread.

Gemini Cricket
05-28-2004, 01:16 PM
They're close...
Okay, bear with me on this one. I'm not trying to argue with anyone...
If I were working on the ride and I found out the new snake wasn't going to be ready... Instead of building a 3rd one, I would have put back the functioning first one. Wouldn't that make more sense?
I dunno, it's probably just me.
:D

Gemini Cricket
05-28-2004, 01:17 PM
I guess I should have put a ;) at the end of this statement. It was said as a joke in regard to the other thread.
No, no, no. I got your joke. I was making a crappy attempt at my version of a joke. You certainly don't need to qualify your joke. I thought it was very funny. :D

mrs_toad
05-28-2004, 01:39 PM
No, no, no. I got your joke. I was making a crappy attempt at my version of a joke. You certainly don't need to qualify your joke. I thought it was very funny. :D
I love your sense of humor, Ralphie is a very lucky guy! (along with Dave Matthews.)

I find this amusing...I was reading the "other" thread about the elephant in the room and I thought, OMG...they think I'm the elephant, I mentioned cliques in the other thread.

Paranoia will destroy ya'...and I'm not even smoking anything! ;)

Ghoulish Delight
05-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Okay, bear with me on this one. I'm not trying to argue with anyone...
If I were working on the ride and I found out the new snake wasn't going to be ready... Instead of building a 3rd one, I would have put back the functioning first one. Wouldn't that make more sense?
I dunno, it's probably just me.
:DYeah, I thought that too. My only theory is that they had damaged, or dumped the other one already.

Opus1guy
05-28-2004, 01:47 PM
15. I talked to a cast member in Adventureland who actually loves Paul Pressler. He said the company was run much 'tighter' under his guidance. Interesting.

Well, you could certainly take that comment in several different directions.

Gemini Cricket
05-28-2004, 01:57 PM
Well, you could certainly take that comment in several different directions.
Yep. Tighter could mean 'more efficient' or it could be referring to Paul's hold around someone else's neck... :D

He really was very fond of Paul. I was surprised. He also said Cynthia Harris was headhunted by Pressler long before she resigned. Interesting.
:)

sediment
05-28-2004, 02:07 PM
He also said Cynthia Harris was headhunted by Pressler long before she resigned. Interesting.
I don't find this very newsworthy at all. As soon as Pressler left, Mr Lutz said it was only a matter of time until she fell into The Gap. I'll try to find the exact archived DIG.

Gemini Cricket
05-28-2004, 02:09 PM
I don't find this very newsworthy at all.
Maybe not newsworthy per se, but news to me. I didn't know that one.

sediment
05-28-2004, 02:13 PM
DIG this (http://www.mouseplanet.com/archive/update50.htm)

Noteworthy, regarding the farewell party for Pressler:

At the event, Cynthia Harriss was her usually charming and gracious self, and she was responsible for coming up with the wacky and witty tone for the event. However, many noticed that it was a bit heavy handed when it came time to thank Paul for his contributions. And several different party guests surmised that this was the beginning of a campaign by Cynthia to ensure her contacts with Paul remain intact, just in case an opportunity for her comes up at The Gap in the near future.

The buzz continues to spread among the salaried cast members that Cynthia and the other lower level executives that Paul Pressler brought to Disneyland in between 1997 and 1999 will shortly be leaving Disney themselves, and this bizarre and splashy farewell reception fueled those rumors. At least the salaried lower and middle managers got a free meal out of the deal, since they won't be getting anything from Disney for Christmas this year.

Gemini Cricket
05-28-2004, 03:41 PM
DIG this (http://www.mouseplanet.com/archive/update50.htm)

I lied. I do remember reading this. I must have forgotten.
Interesting indeed.