PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland vs Tokyo Disneyland...

Towmod
05-28-2004, 08:44 AM
Was admiring pictures from this site:

http://www.tdrfan.com/tdl/index.htm

And I was amazed at how clean the park is, how well maintained it is, how they didn't buy into the remake of Tomorrowland... simply put this is what Disneyland once was and should be.

GREGOR
05-28-2004, 09:02 AM
Gosh, those pictures of Tomorrowland reminded me sooo much of how DL's TL used to feel when I was younger. *sigh* :crying:

Opus1guy
05-28-2004, 11:54 AM
A park operated by a Japanese company that still believes and operates their parks with the original philosophies that used to exist here, of giving their guests the very best that money can buy, and knowing that if they build it and keep it that way, they will come and come back again and spend even more.

And leave happy and not feeling they overpaid or were gouged.

There are food offerings over there that are cheaper than here! And knowing the exchange rate...that's pretty remarkable and a sad commentary of how the U.S. parks no longer provide an experience that can be enjoyed by both lower and mid-higher income folks.

And you know what? The Japan parks could easily charge more if they wanted to! They don't have anywhere near the competition as Disneyland has.

Over there, if someone suggests it's time for a price increase...they better be willing to be risking their job!

A small frozen lemonade slurpie is up to 4 bucks at Disneyland! Yeah. No profit at all in that puppy! That's higher than the movie theaters charge, and I never thought anyone would charge more than those gougers! :(

Disney Vault
05-28-2004, 03:37 PM
how is their jungle cruise? are the electronics more up to date? And i wish i could see mickey mouse revue.

Disney Vault
05-30-2004, 09:25 AM
And how much of Tokyo Disneyland and disney seas does the disney company actually own? Is it less then or more than half?

SCUBAbe
05-30-2004, 09:41 AM
and what do they have to pay for labor and insurance over there?

DisneyFan25863
05-30-2004, 09:43 AM
I noticed all the signs are in English. Are the rides in English as well, or do you need a Translator?

DefyingGravity
05-30-2004, 10:31 AM
I'm pretty sure the rides are in Japanese, but you can still guess what's going on even if you don't speak Japanese.

Pedro2NR
05-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Looks really nice. The lands look bigger than ours. Their Westernland looks way nicer than our Fountierland.

Tigertail777
05-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Disney does not own ANY of either Tokyo park, Tokyo "rents" out the Disney name and characters. It was a deal they made in the 80's when they were desperate that I am betting they wish they didnt make.

The rides are in japanese with a small smattering of english here and there (as with most of their culture, they liberally sprinkle in english since its a required language for them to learn in high school).

No idea what they pay for labor and insurance, but I am very curious now too.

As far as I know, their JC isnt really any more up to date, but it still looks pretty new due to wonderful maintenance. I beleive they do have a sunken city portion the boat goes through that isnt in any of the US parks JC.

Story goes that when they were getting ready to build Tokyo Disneyland, the executives came over here to visit the original mecca. They thought it being walt's original park it would be kept neat and clean and well maintained. They were horrified to find the condition of our parks and couldnt beleive how badly we had let it go. They left swearing that their park would be kept up to Walt's original standards. Dunno if its true or not, but it sure sounds like it could be, considering the japanese trait of fastidious cleanliness and upkeep.

Mickey Mouse revue couldnt have received a better home. I am hoping if WDW gets rid of carousel of progress that Tokyo buys it for their park.

Disney Vault
05-30-2004, 01:34 PM
How long have they rented the disney name and charcters for?

Tigertail777
05-30-2004, 02:41 PM
pretty much since the park first opened in umm 1983? They made a long term open ended deal with Disney regarding the name and characters, as long as they pay their percentage there isnt much that Disney can do. Disney can approve what characters are used and how they are used... but the folks in Tokyo made a pretty open yet binding agreement when they had Disney over a barrel because Disney was in a bit of a financial bind at the time. Ironic aint it?

Disney Vault
05-30-2004, 03:18 PM
is it the same way in paris and now in hong kong?

Tigertail777
05-30-2004, 10:35 PM
DLP is a bit ummm odd in set up... Disney basically owns it, but investors rent it from Disney kinda (its a odd set up) they did it that way because they were still a a bit sore on missing out on TDL and thought it would be a cash cow just like TDL.

Hong Kong I have no idea, but am betting its a simular set up to DLP.