PDA

View Full Version : Roller Coaster for Frontierland?

Pages : [1] 2 3

HorizonsA
05-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Frontierland needs a new ride. I mean, really, the only real good attraction over there is Big Thunder Mountain. They never use the Festival of Fools are anymore, except for private parties,but I think that they should use that space to build a high-speed looping coaster. Disneyland needs more roller coasters, especially looping coasters. All we have is California Screamin' and that's great, but we need more!

Explicit
05-27-2004, 10:39 AM
On sunday I noticed the animals were back so while I was looking at them the entrance to the festival of fools was blocked off. Luckly there were spots that I could peek through on the fence. They tore out the whole set that was once there. Does anyone know what they are going to do with it?

olegc
05-27-2004, 10:41 AM
OK.... is it just me or has UNiversal's IOA and Six Flags so permeated the culture that "coasters" are THE thing to have and that full, immersive, interesting "attractions" are not to be designed anymore. I like the notion of what Mummy is doing at Universal (AA ride AND coaster mixed) but, seriously, if I wanted a park full of coasters - I'll go to Six Flags. And, in order to make it a Disney experience, I'll bring all of my Disney gear with me (t-shirts, plush, etc.)

Did you ever think to just stop and figure out that part of the idea of each "land" is to really be part of it? Not just to walk by and get in line?

I don't want to say one is better than the other - it's just different approaches... and Disney has, and I think still should, focus on a completely designed immersive experience. - sometimes it's a themed coaster, sometimes it's an omnimover, etc.

Oh, and don't forget that Frontierland has lots of other attractions to it - Rivers of America boats, Tom Sawyer, Davey Crockett Canoes. And, one more. how do you do an Old West loop ride when, well, loops did not necessarily exist in the old west - but trains and mines, etc, did.

Remember - theming of the land has to be taken into consideration - not just some paint and fixtures on an existing ride (oh, sorry, that's at DCA ;-) ).

smd4
05-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Disneyland needs more roller coasters, especially looping coasters. It sounds like Magic Mountain is a park more in tune with your interests...

Frontierland has many attractions, but I guess we could add a few attractions themed to Frontierland. And here's a thought--how about something that even little kids could do?

Hey!! I just thought of something!! How about we make additions to the park that would be fun for both adults and children? They could enjoy each others' company by doing things TOGETHER! I can't believe how revolutionary my idea is! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how you could ever theme a looping roller coaster to fit in with Frontierland.

Boingonut
05-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Frontierland needs a new ride. I mean, really, the only real good attraction over there is Big Thunder Mountain. They never use the Festival of Fools are anymore, except for private parties,but I think that they should use that space to build a high-speed looping coaster. Disneyland needs more roller coasters, especially looping coasters. All we have is California Screamin' and that's great, but we need more!

I don't think a high speed looping coaster is such a good idea for DL, it is just not DL's style. That kind of thing is really for DCA, if you want an adrenalin rush DL I don't think has ever been the place to get it, althogh it dose have moments like Spash and Space and Big Tunder, but if you compare these rides to things that are at 6 Fags or Knots Berry Farm the trill factor is really low. I think DL attractions sould be ones that the whole family can enjoy together. For me just walking down Main Steet is enough of a trill, althogh I do like trill rides, but atmosphere is more important to me then any 100 foot roller coaster.

But I agree that Frontierland need something else, but I think that maybe a dark ride or something that is more of a classic disney experience, but at the same time a new idea would be great for the area. That is just my opinion though. :)

ppmuse
05-27-2004, 11:45 AM
I agree with you that Frontierland needs something else, but a looping roller coaster probably isn't the way to go. The only ideas that come to mind would fit in at Adventureland (like the mine ride idea that was supposed to company Indiana Jones). Frontierland needs a new make over. It, like Tomorrowland, is like a ghost town. The occassional act that you can watch, the shooting gallery that doesn't have many people using it, and the one roller coaster, which just opened after closing for a time.It needs something, but what, I do not know. Maybe make it into a ghost town, but that sounds like Knott's. Oh well, I give up.

aztectodd
05-27-2004, 11:51 AM
Yes, frontierland is a hard one to figure out. What can they do to make it better. For a long time people said they should put in a version of WRE. Now that the rumor swings over to DCA that really isn't an option. They have the runaway train, now they need something else from the west. The one thing I really dont like is that I dont want Frontierland to remind me of Knotts. When I think of the wild west I think of cowboys, trains, shootouts, etc. Things that Frontierland already really has. I really hope that WDI has something up it's sleeve because Disneyland could be so much better if Frontierland and Tomorrowland were running on all cylinders.

cstephens
05-27-2004, 12:11 PM
Disneyland needs more roller coasters, especially looping coasters.

I disagree. One of the things I love about Disneyland (and DCA) is that there's a mix of different things, so if I want something a little more raucous, I can find that, but if I want to find something quieter, I can find that too.

If you're looking for rollercoasters and looping ones at that, there are other parks to satisfy your craving. I don't want Disneyland to be turned into one of them, which is not to say they're not good, just that they offer something different.

jrad32
05-27-2004, 12:26 PM
I still think an area featuring the Tall Tales characters like Pecos Bill, John Henry, Johnny Appleseed and Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox would be a natural for the area currently occupied by Big Thunder Ranch and the Hunchback stage area.

The characters are tied to the American frontier and have enough fantasy to tie into Fantasyland, making the area the perfect conduit between the two lands.

I'm thinking massive Pirate like Dark ride based on the characters, with a restaurant (Return of the BBQ), shops etc. You could even keep the petting zoo.

Ghoulish Delight
05-27-2004, 12:32 PM
It'd be nice to have an large-scale immersive attraction in Frontierland...but I'd want to see one go into DCA first. DCA needs a lot more help than Disneyland. And while it would pain me to continue to see Disneyland get nothing, I know that for the long term health of Disneyland, the resort needs to do well. And for the resort to do well, DCA needs something original, large scale, and immersive....soon.

olegc
05-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Well, I posted this in another thread - but two ideas that had been proposed in the past for Frontierland areas are...

Discovery Bay - http://www.cafetiki.com/discoverybay/ which has parts of it in other Disney theme parks around the globe. I know people hate rehashes, and that Island At Top is not on everyone's mind right now - but these are stories and ideas with a lot of depth and probably has things everyone in the family can enjoy together...

And - in the DCA rumor mill this past two weeks...
Thunder Mesa and Western River Expedition... (needs a show building)..
http://home.cfl.rr.com/omniluxe/wre.htm

jrad32
05-27-2004, 12:37 PM
I couldn't agree more Ghoulish. DCA obviously needs help, no Tower is not the answer. So I'd agree that I'd like to see a couple more attractions there first, but then DL needs some love.

Pirate Girl
05-27-2004, 01:01 PM
Funny how the idea of having looping coasters seems to come up every few weeks in MP. Since when were the only fun attractions big looping coasters? :rolleyes:

Pat-n-Eil
05-27-2004, 01:17 PM
Frontierland needs a new ride. Disneyland needs more roller coasters, especially looping coasters. All we have is California Screamin' and that's great, but we need more!

I love roller coasters. I love California Screamin' too - but I don't think another coaster is what Frontierland needs. I'd love to see an E-Ticket attraction for sure. It could be another water ride or an indoor dark ride experience.. I wouldn't mind if there were a thrill involved either (a la Pirates at the beginning). I don't want to repeat a flume ride (like Splash Mountain is already there) but a boat ride, or .. ooh! oooh! maybe a ride vehicle similar to Indy that is a covered wagon going west over the Oregon trail where you get bad weather and maybe you are attacked by Cherokee's or something..

Either that or they could use the Soarin' over California technology (because it seems to be a real favorite) and they could do some kind of Eagle's flight over the old west.. once in awhile it swoops down over a wagon train or a pioneer's camp..

Anyhow, I'd love an E-Ticket, but not necessarily a coaster there.

DBJ
05-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Well, there is Rock N Roller Coaster that Disney put in, Mission Space, Expedition Everest going in, hmmm, see a trend? Disney is investing in thrill attractions so the original post is a reasonable suggestion.

If the goal of Disneyland is to appeal to the widest possible market, they could do a better job with new attractions to reach parents with older kids who would still like take a family vacation/outing.

For example, you have the parents with young kids who want attractions for their toddler, and only their toddler's age range. Then you have parents who want attractions for their grade schooler, families with kids in their pre-teens, and then teens, and then young adults.

Why not try to address all these age groups with new attractions designed for each?

aztectodd
05-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Because they wont spend the money on more than one new attraction much less four or five new attractions. They NEED a WRE/Pirates type ride in DCA, and then they need to fix Disneyland. I think a lot of our gripes will go out the window when Space comes back and when Buzz gets put in. Being down one "thrill" ride right now really hurts the park for those people who like thrill rides. With Space Mountain you'll have:
Space
Star Tours
Big Thunder
Indy
Matterhorn and
Splash

Thats a good amount of "thrill" rides not to mention the other must do rides in the park.

DCA definitely needs one more good attraction to make it a very very solid park.

sleepyjeff
05-27-2004, 01:27 PM
I would be happy with a renovated Fort Wilderness and some keel boats...but i be just a simple guy....

:)

merlinjones
05-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Zorro's Black Whip - - a black, hanging coaster traversing from the Zorro cave beneath Casa de la Vega (queue) through the hills and deserts of Old California and the Pueblo de Los Angeles (currently Big Thunder Ranch)! See Sqt. Garcia and his men repeatedly fail to capture you as you ride for the poor Guests of Disneyland against the unjust tyrants! Mark the sign of the Z wherever you go... Buy swords and costumes and masks at the mexican bazaaar at the exit - - eat street tacos - - watch the Disneylandia vistors from Mexico triple and quadruple. Viva El Zorro!

smd4
05-27-2004, 01:43 PM
maybe you are attacked by Cherokee's or something Although I love the idea, the PC folks at the INJUN (International Native Jurisdiction of Ultra Nonsense) might take issue with it.

Kevy Baby
05-27-2004, 02:15 PM
No rollercoater for me in Frontierland.

But damn, how bad can they make the shooting gallery?!? That thing is just horrible!!!

iwannabeanimagineer
05-27-2004, 02:56 PM
How about this idea for Frontierland: A wild west stunt show at the location of the former Festival of Fools stage.

Pros: Would add a second daytime show, bringing in people (like me) who like good shows and getting us out of the "E" ticket lines. Could include singing, dancing and humor from numerous western Disney characters and give them a better stage than they have at the Golden Horseshoe (which could revert to a "realistic" old west stage show): Davy Crockett, Pecos Bill, Slue Foot Sue, Woody, Jessie, Stinky Pete, Bullseye, the Home on the Range cast and even bring back Zorro and the Apple Dumpling Gang.

Does Universal Hollywood still have an old west stunt show? Even if they do, Disney can out-do them and add quite a bit.

If it's not too politically incorrect, performing animals would be great there, too: horses, hawks, etc. It might even have a Buffalo Bill show section similar to Disneyland Paris.

Tigertail777
05-27-2004, 03:07 PM
Hate to say it Merlin but the Zorro ride idea fits better over at DCA where they have a semi california history theme going on already (and really thats the big theme thats untapped and SHOULD be tapped into). I had a simular ride idea in a thread long long ago, except mine was a half semi tame coaster, half water ride... something akin to the atlantis attraction at seaworld, and sort of tapping a little into Marc Davis's original lost attraction: the Western river expedition. I think a california/mexico land would help DCA greatly.

As for frontierland, its a bit hard to deal with this land in such a politically correct atmosphere... my first idea was THIS is where the shooting ride like buzz should go, but themed to the old west... kill two birds with one stone, have a ride that actually fits the theme of the land, and either bring more people over to the shooting gallery area, as a sort of preque practice area, or just take out the gallery altogether since the ride would effectively be the replacement. I mean, come on... guns and the old west, just the concept of the ride fits the lands theme.

I really liked the oregon trail idea though, thats a really cool idea: taking the old conestoga wagon ride Disneyland used to have many years ago, and basically converting it into a dark ride. You could go two ways with this: historical and factual but fun experience, or semi historical with a little fantasy thrown in that fits the theme (like coyotes actually ahem "singing" in key). There are a lot of parts of old Disney rides, particularly natures wonderland that could fit this: the burning desert with the rainbow paint pots, the funny cactus etc. And just imagine the wonderful lighting; you could go from the end of daytime in the desert, to it turning night and having only lit lanterns on the wagons to really guide the way (along with a sea of stars and a full moon overhead of course).

Another idea, would be to take the "spirit lodge" idea over at Knotts and kind of expand it more into a dark ride. Basically where you "ride" old Indian myths and legends... they would have to think of a way to fit that into a cohesive ride story, but I am sure it could be done.

The most simple quick fix right now would be to do something like inviting real indian tribes to dance like in the old days of Disneyland, so you would have a Indian dance pow wow to watch.

ppmuse
05-27-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm personally not much of a show guy, so something like that would not interest me. I'd rather have something that either takes me out of the sun, or gives me a thrill. My mom, on the other hand, might enjoy something like that. Think I'll stick to the ride ideas.

odnamraortsac
05-27-2004, 03:20 PM
"Does Universal Hoolywood still have an old west stunt show?"
The Old West Stunt show at Universal Studios Hollywood was "86ed" a while back which is too bad because I recall that it was a decent show.

DisneylandForever
05-28-2004, 08:45 AM
.. ooh! oooh! maybe a ride vehicle similar to Indy that is a covered wagon going west over the Oregon trail where you get bad weather and maybe you are attacked by Cherokee's or something...

LOL! Um, gotta agree with that INJUN post. Not only that, but from what I know, Cherokee's didn't live in the West, nor did they attack covered wagons. But I digress!

I agree with most of you. Sorry to "firehose" the idea in the original post of this thread, but I think adding "looping coasters" to DL is a horrible idea. I am so glad they decided to keep the loop out of Space Mountain.

I guess Frontierland could use another E-ticket, but another coaster is not the answer. It's actually kinda tough, cuz the 'Wild West' limits you as to what can be done, especially in the Disney spirit. But on the list of what should be done in DL, upgrading Frontierland doesn't even make my top 10. JMO.