PDA

View Full Version : Help! Where's best to stay in Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

Lynnepitt
05-26-2004, 11:51 PM
Hi! We'll be in Disneyland in August and as its our first time there we haven't a clue where the best place to stay is. We have two young children aged 4 & 6 so need somewhere with the least amount of walking to and from the parks. We're also looking for somewhere with that bit of extra "magic" as we live in Ireland and want something special to remember this visit by.
The Grand Californian Hotel seems to be the fanciest, but a few articles say its not too good for children as the rooms don't have the themed soaps etc and we want "kitch" all the way!!
We are booked in at the Anaheim Plaza as it said it was the closest hotel to the main entrance. Does anybody know if this means its closer than any of the Disney hotels???
We're starting to have our doubts about staying there, thinking it'll be worth the extra money to stay in the Paradise Pier, the Disneyland Hotel or the Grand Californian Hotel.
Please help a family of Disneyland virgins!!!!!

Pat-n-Eil
05-27-2004, 06:02 AM
I've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, the Grand Californian and this year we'll be at the Paradise Pier. As good as some of the good neighbor hotel/motels are, they can't compare to the Disney properties. Our favorite, by far (and my kids agree) has been the Grand Californian. We'd stay there every time if money was not an issue - but it is expensive. One of the pools has a waterslide and there are 2 spas.. and the beds are the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in. This would be my choice for those reasons and that it is actually IN the California Adventure park. Can't get any closer than INSIDE THE PARK! Get the Theme Park View!

The Disneyland hotel has a bit more theming, but it isn't that big a deal. They also have some fun pools, the waterfall area and restaurants too are nice. It is a bit of a walk to Disneyland - and even to the monorail - but still is fun. The best character breakfasts are there at Goofy's kitchen.

I haven't stayed yet at Paradise Pier but I understand they have the Mickey soaps & such. It is the most moderately priced of the three which is why we're trying it this time.

Anyhow, definitely consider a Disney property.

DigitalLizard
05-27-2004, 06:52 AM
Yeah, off property hotels cannot compare to Disney Hotels in any way
unless you are looking for a cheap price!

I have stayed at the travellodge on Katella across from the DTD parking area
to the side of Paradise Pier, and I have stayed at the Ramada Inn on Katella
about 1/2 mile from Edison Field and I have also stayed at the Ramada
Limited on Harbor about a mile up past the freeway...
You cannot beat the prices unless you are and AP and can get the discounts
they offer at Paradise Pier (when rooms are available).

If you are looking to walk to the park, I'd recommend either Jolly Roger,
Park Vue (I think that is what it is called, next to IHOP on Harbor),
or Travellodge if you want to go non Disney.
Just bear in mind that you won't get the Mickey shaped soaps and the
hotels, by far, won't be as clean OR as friendly as Disney hotels.
Since you have young children, it sounds like you might need to go back
to your room periodically... so I'd be more inclined to suggest the
Paradise pier... all the Disney magic with the most affordable price.

You can SOMETIMES get better prices if you either book a package
with Disney Travel OR get your hotel on expedia.com

Good Luck and have a great trip!

Photographer
05-27-2004, 07:03 AM
I recommend staying at either the Paradise Pier Hotel or Disneyland Hotel.

Paradise Pier has plenty of theming in nice bright/light colors. The remodeled rooms have a Mickey Mouse lamp and surfboards for room numbers. They have the PCH Grill, you can have breakfast there with Minnie Mouse. There's an arcade and a beach themed room for the kids to sit and watch TV.
It's an easy walk to Downtown Disney where you can take the Monorail into the park or use the special hotel guest entrance into DCA.

Disneyland Hotel has the best themed pool, based on Peter Pan. They also have remote coontrol boats, an arcade and a bar all outdoors. The rooms are themed in browns and reds with lots of patterns (bit too much for me). A little closer walk to Downtown Disney.

Both hotels have Mickey soaps and such. For my money, I'd stay at Paradise Pier. I think you'd be able to use the Disneyland Hotel pool even if you stay at PPH.

Pat-n-Eil
05-27-2004, 07:56 AM
I also want to mention that if you book your stay at a Disney property, and make your reservations through AAA (not sure if you can from Ireland or not), then you can get the enhanced FastPass which allows you to get FastPasses for all of the FastPass rides at once, instead of having to wait for your FastPass "come back" time to arrive before getting another one.

You will also save money using AAA too.. we're saving close to $300 this time because we went through AAA.. Same hotel room, better price and perks.

spectromen
05-27-2004, 09:19 AM
Anaheim Plaza is pretty much #1 for perfect location and great price, but it won't have any "magic" that you're looking for. I would weigh the difference between what is probably around $45/night vs. $200/night and decide for yourselves how important the theming and Mickey Soaps are. For someone coming in from Ireland for the first time, though, I'd have to lean more towards the Disney hotels...

Lynnepitt
05-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Thanks everyone for your help. You've swayed us into looking to book the Paradise Pier Hotel. Would really appreciate Pat&Eil letting us know how they get on if they're holidaying before we go in August.
If everyone is as nice as you lot - we'll be doing ok! - and they say Ireland has friendly people!! Can't wait to go now - think I'm more excited than my 6 yr old daughter!

Pat-n-Eil
05-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Lynnepitt,

I will definitely post a trip report when we return. We will be there from June 28th to July 1st. So expect a report by the 4th :)

Besides, we have a lot of Irish blood in us - thus our names:

Patrick & Eileen :)

iwannabeanimagineer
05-28-2004, 02:00 PM
We have stayed at the Grand Californian and at the Desert Inn & Suites off property.

GCH: Excellent service, excellent concierge suite, excellent building, excellent amenities on site, excellent access to the parks, excellent tug on the old wallet.

Desert Inn: Awful breakfast buffet, awful amenities on site, cramped rooms, mediocre access to the parks, cheap.

mousey_girl
05-28-2004, 07:37 PM
We have stayed in all 3 hotels at DLH and one off property. We really enjoyed GCH, but will probably only stay at DLH from now on.

For only a little more than our 1 room at GCH we can get a small 1 bedroom suite at DLH. Since my sleeping habits are widely different from my son and hubby it was perfect. I could watch ER and they were sound asleep in another room. No one told me to turn off the TV because the volume was too high or the light was bugging him.

I could be up at 5am and wander around the grounds until they were up and ready to go.

They could see me at the Lost Bar from our room when they were supposed to be napping.

The Pixie Dust wall borders are wonderful. The bathroom fixtures are adorable.

GCH is nice, but it just does not have the magic of DLH.

We stayed at PPH 2 months before DCA opened... We were not overly impressed and it was one heck of a hike to DL.

GeminiAngel
05-28-2004, 08:19 PM
The best western park place inn is the closest you can get. It is RIGHT across the street from the entrance on Harbor. You cross at the light and the hotel's sidewalk is part of the corner with the traffic light. The bus stop is also on that same same corner (about 15 steps-if that from the traffic light) Harbor Blvd. is the only thing preventing this hotel from actually being on the property. It IS closer to The entrance of DL than the GC-PH-DL hotel. Oh yeah its pretty nice too. ;)

GeminiAngel
05-28-2004, 08:21 PM
The best western park place inn is the closest you can get. It is RIGHT across the street from the entrance on Harbor. You cross at the light and the hotel's sidewalk is part of the corner with the traffic light. The bus stop is also on that same corner if you are taking the airport bus to the hotel (about 15 steps-if that from the traffic light) . Harbor Blvd. is the only thing preventing this hotel from actually being on the property. It IS closer to The entrance of DL than the GC-PH-DL hotels. Oh yeah- its pretty nice too. were going back next March for 6 nights RM#361. ;)

GeminiAngel
05-28-2004, 08:24 PM
OOPS I HIT QUOTE INSTEAD OF EDIT..... :geek:

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
05-28-2004, 09:01 PM
In the past year my family has stayed at all three resort hotels. I love the GCH, my husband the Disneyland hotel. We prefer these to the PP as the walk with a toddler, new born and a grandma or two in tow can get a bit tiresome. It has nice theming, but it seems to be such a long way away from everything

The GCH is great, right there in the park, but if you have a downtown disney view and can't find the "secret staircases" the walk back to the lobby and then out to Disneyland can be almost as far as the trip from the DLH. GCH has the nicest bar/lounges and what I think are the best restuarants.

The DLH hotel has the best pool and the Lost Bar, waterfalls, the watershow and it just feels like Disney.

Stay on property, it is so worth the money.

leota's necklace
05-28-2004, 10:07 PM
I really would recommend the Disneyland Hotel. The Pier is fine for the price, and will have nice theming once the renovation is complete, but it's not as immersive as the DLH. I really think of it as someplace to stay for an older, laid-back crowd. The Grand is grand, I love it and would stay there every time if I could afford it, but it has a more quiet, restful, dark atmosphere and subdued theming. It made me feel like I was sleeping in a forest. The theming at the DLH is bright, light, and whimsical. The kids will love the glow-in-the-dark trail of pixie dust around the upper edge of the walls -- be sure to play that up and tell them Tink left them a special surprise ;). There are characters in the wallpaper, and on the furniture, stationery, and light fixtures. The pool is a kid's dream. Plus there are gorgeous waterfalls and hidden caves to explore.

If you have the money to spend -- take them to the DLH. I stayed there when I was seven, and I've never forgotten it.

Lynnepitt
05-29-2004, 01:03 AM
Is the Paradise Pier Hotel really that far away from everything? I read in the blurb that theres a private entrance via the Grand Californian into DCA and just presumed it was in the middle of things. (Obviously coming from Ireland I'm not used to things on a large proportion which everything at Disneyland seems to be!) I appreciate everyones comments and am now doubting the Paradise Pier.
How far is it to walk from the Disneyland Hotel to the parks and downtown Disney?
Does the monorail take you straight into the park?
I know for sure that the Grand Californian isn't for us - I can't imagine my two "disney princesses" containing their excitement enough to fit in with the sophisticated atmosphere this hotel seems to portray.
Would love more advice!!

The Mouse Is Back
05-29-2004, 01:12 AM
Lynne, the Tropicana is on Harbor, right across the street from the main entrance of Disneyland. A very short walk for you and the kids.

I booked a room there a month ago but unfortunately we had a veterinary emergency and poof! there went the vacation money. Kitty is doing fine but we'll have to take our trip some other time.

If you go to their website at http://www.bei-hotels.com/new_trop_1a.htm, and click on the "web special", you'll get a great rate. It isn't as fancy or themed as the Disney properties, but the little extras such as a microwave and fridge in each room/suite makes for convenience and another way to stretch the vacation fund. It is also within walking distance from several moderately priced restaurants and a McDonald's.

BTW, one of the managers there is a very nice guy by the name of Brian, who hails from Dublin.

I'm sure you'll have great fun on your trip no matter where you stay. :)

-Allegra-

leota's necklace
05-29-2004, 09:16 AM
Is the Paradise Pier Hotel really that far away from everything? I read in the blurb that theres a private entrance via the Grand Californian into DCA and just presumed it was in the middle of things.
How far is it to walk from the Disneyland Hotel to the parks and downtown Disney?

The Pier is not much of a walk if you like to walk, or are not carrying heavy packages or towing tired children. There is a hotel-only entrance to DCA -- you need to cross the street to get to it -- but keep in mind that DCA usually closes several hours before Disneyland. It's about five minutes from the DLH.

When you leave the DLH, you walk through Downtown Disney to the gates to the Parks. I've never walked this with a child, so I don't know how long it would take with a stroller -- I usually walk the length of DD in about, say, fifteen minutes (and I'm an ambler).

The monorail takes you to the end of Downtown Disney closest to the DLH. The other end takes you into the Park and deposits you in Tomorrowland. However, until they get the fleet running properly you can't always rely on the monrail to get you back to the Hotel.

If you stay off-property, you still need to cross Harbor and walk through the tram hub to get to the front gates. There are shuttles to many of the area hotels if you prefer that option.

I'd still go with the DLH if that's an option .;)

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
05-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Is the Paradise Pier Hotel really that far away from everything? I read in the blurb that theres a private entrance via the Grand Californian into DCA and just presumed it was in the middle of things. (Obviously coming from Ireland I'm not used to things on a large proportion which everything at Disneyland seems to be!) I appreciate everyones comments and am now doubting the Paradise Pier.
I know for sure that the Grand Californian isn't for us - I can't imagine my two "disney princesses" containing their excitement enough to fit in with the sophisticated atmosphere this hotel seems to portray.
Would love more advice!!

The Paradise Pier is about a 15-20 minute + walk to Disneyland (depending on your family's walking speed). There is an entrance to Cal adventure, it is on the farside of the Paradise Pier theme area.

About 10 minutes to the monorailand downtown disney. It just seems a long way at the end of the day :) . The pool is not themed, the rooms were cute and a decent size (haven't been since they have been renovated) if you get a theme park view, the view of the PP section of the park is brilliant.

The DLH is about a 15 minute walk through DTD. The monorail, which takes you directly to tomorrowland, is about a 5 minute stroll from the Disneyland hotel. DTD is right outside of the DLH.

rakkwhite
05-29-2004, 09:58 AM
I have two daughters also, ages 7 and 3. We've stayed at both the Paradise Pier and The Disneyland Hotel. We definitely LOVED the Disneyland Hotel best. The swimming pool at PP was generic so we wound up walking to the DLH to enjoy their Captain Hook themed swimming pool. This alone was a major reason why we stayed at the DLH our subsequent visit. Also, the entire atmosphere (wandering around the grounds is a fun pasttime in and of itself)is superior at the DLH. IMHO, it's worth the extra $'s, especially if this is going to be your kid's "dream" vacation. :)

JTCarrey
05-29-2004, 11:05 AM
I've never stayed at the DLH or GCH, but I am going to the GCH on June 25th-28th, I've stayed at the PPH though and I'll admit it is quite a walk. My friend and I stayed there last July and we decided to get breakfast at Disneyland, that was a dumb idea because we took the private entrance into DCA and had to walk through the whole park which took maybe 15 minutes to get to the exit then cross over to Disneyland, then walk through Disneyland to the place we wanted to go, another 5-10 minutes, by that time we were burnt out and STARVING, we woke up around 8am and didn't get breakfast until maybe 9:30 or later. Of course we could have eaten at the hotel but we didn't think of that at the time lol just know that if you do stay at the PPH, be prepared to walk. It's worse when it's 10pm+ and you're tired from all the fun at the parks, because then you have heavy things to carry back unless you didn't go shopping, and you may have to carry one of your children back and everyone will be tired, so I'd say stay at the DLH for the 'magic' or the GCH for the atmosphere and closeness, although everyone says DLH is close too. I wish the monorail would stop at all the hotels, when the DLH was the only hotel on the property, the monorail used to pull up directly in front of the hotel, that was very convenient. Also, look around at Disneyland.com or this website or other Disney related websites, look at the maps and see what is convenient for you. PPH is nice but you get what you pay for.

If you wanna know about fun attractions to see for the youngins as well, ask us, we have many ideas!! :D

Zigen
05-29-2004, 07:24 PM
The family and I love DLH. We're so happy with it we most likely will not stay at any of the other hotels when we visit. The monorail is really close, the pool is great (even the smaller pools were nice), goofys kitchen is right there, they have the best gift shop out of all the hotels, wandering during the night at the hotel seems magical due to the water show, the waterfalls, and koi ponds. I recommend DLH very much. The walk to the park is about 7-15 mins from the hotel depending on your speed.

You should read thru all the reviews of the hotels at the top of this page. May help you.

TinkLover
05-29-2004, 08:15 PM
I have stayed at The Embassy Suites Anaheim South, and I love it. You don't have to worry about walking, becaus they have a free shuttle. It is a really nice place, with geat cook to order continential breakfest!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-30-2004, 01:25 PM
We just recently, came home a week from tomorrow, completed a 7 night stay at the newly remodeled Howard Johnsons. It is within walking distance, I think they say 8 mins and although it isn't a Disney property, it was clean and the rooms were spacious, had a refrigerator and the staff was really great. Price was right too.
I would like to stay at one of the Disney properties but I want to do it when my kids are older and can really enjoy the pools etc. On our next visit my boys will be just 3 years old and 15 months, I think they are to young to enjoy the whole, we are staying IN Disney Resort thing.

Alpha1mom
05-31-2004, 06:51 AM
I agree with Mommyto2Boys, The Howard Johnson is my favorite place to stay!
The rates are great, the rooms clean ans spacious. If you get a room with park view, you can watch the fireworks. They have 2 pools and the staff is extremely nice!
They have a great gift shop too!

Ask for "Willie" this guy goes the extra mile to make your stay great!

Maybe they don't have Mickey soap but the money you'll save you can buy your own at DL's Emporium. (and alot more souveniers)

Have a great trip!

(we're going in 2 weeks and staying at the Howard Johnson for the 4th time)