PDA

View Full Version : Best Position to watch the Electrical Parade in DCA

Rae
05-26-2004, 07:32 PM
What is the best spot to watch the Electrical parade from and how early should you be to get a good spot?

DigitalLizard
05-27-2004, 06:42 AM
IMHO I like to get to the seats infront of Burrbank Ice Cream
atleast 2 hours before the show...
eat dinner, and do Burrbank for dessert, then find a table in
the front row against the railing and pull your seats around
to the railing... that way nobody can be infront of you and
you can sit in real seats!
Have fun! It always brings tears to my eyes when I hear
the Baroque Hoedown start! Brings back TOO many memories
of growing up and going with my mom and grandparents!

:fez:

Photographer
05-27-2004, 07:35 AM
I like to watch the parade come through the gate behind Playhouse Disney. Suppose getting there at least 30 minutes early would be a good idea. I just walked up one day and stood there watching it and found that it was a good location.

Big Dog
05-27-2004, 07:54 AM
If you remember watching the parade as a kid and you really want those memories to start flowing there is nothing like sitting on the ground at the edge of the parade. If you show up late to the park and want to get a good ground seating head over to California dreams. If you head through the Grizzly area you avoid the parade crowd and the ground on the opposite side of California dreams is usually the last to fill up. I have always found decent seats even when I show up 5 minutes before the parade gets to that point.

Cadaverous Pallor
05-27-2004, 09:17 AM
The great thing about the DCA venue (yeah, I said great and DCA in one sentence) is that there are many different ways to watch the parade. You can go for a classic up close curbside spot, eat at the Trattoria and watch it from your table, stand on the bridge to the Wharf area and see a larger perspective, or even watch it from even farther away, like across the lake. I'll never forget seeing it from the Sun Wheel, or the Maliboomer, where for a few seconds you can see the entire parade snaking it's way from Sunshine Plaza to Paradise Pier. Since I've seen it many times, changing point of view is refreshing.

EdD
05-27-2004, 09:25 AM
I had heard that you get a good view of the parade from the Vineyard Room--thus I have booked a table for 7:40pm on Sat 6/5. I figured we could have a nice dinner then watch the parade while having coffee and dessert. Is this not true? If not, I will change my dinner plans to the Napa Rose, and watch the parade from another vantage point. Thanks.

NoCalDad
05-27-2004, 10:02 AM
I like to watch it near the end of the parade route near the Orange Stinger. These spots are usually open until right before the parade gets there.

After the parade goes through the end gate, the CMs (in their "light-up" patroitic costumes)holding the rope that marks the end of the parade will stay outside and pose for pictures with your family.

Cadaverous Pallor
05-27-2004, 10:29 AM
I had heard that you get a good view of the parade from the Vineyard Room--thus I have booked a table for 7:40pm on Sat 6/5. I figured we could have a nice dinner then watch the parade while having coffee and dessert. Is this not true? Yes, this is true. When we were there ages ago when it was Mondavi they even let us have an extra glass of wine and a break between courses to watch the parade. It was very cool. I hope you enjoy it! :)

Edited to add - you should tell the restaurant that you mean to watch the parade, so they can reserve you a good balcony seat.

stinkerbell
05-27-2004, 10:50 AM
My favorite spot has got to be a combo of what others have said. Sitting at the curb in front Burbank's eating a huge waffle cone sundae or with a cup of coffee. I'm always edgy to get my first peek at Pete's Dragon. Instantly takes me back to childhood!!

innerSpaceman
05-27-2004, 11:38 AM
From the thread title, I thought that the O.P. was wondering if the cross-legged or standing on one's head were preferable.

But now that I see it's about viewing location, I've got to say (as have others) that the best thing about the Parade being in DCA is the ability to view it from (and have a wonderful, albeit expensive dinner at) the Golden Vine.

In particular, the view of the finale Eagle and Flag float from above is a complete revelation. I've been enjoying this float for 30-some years, and I have never had a tenth the appreciation for its magnificence that I garnered from the aireal view afforded from the Golden Vine!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-27-2004, 11:52 AM
We actually ran in the park at just 10 mins before the parade, my kids took late naps that day, and watched it along the street there by the TOT online check in desk. This was a great spot, both my kids could see just fine and since the park closed right after the parade, it was easy to get out of there too.