PDA

View Full Version : Tropicana, Best Western Park Place Inn or Howard Johnsons?

keschy
05-26-2004, 02:57 PM
OK, My last hotel question post! I have reservations at all 3 hotels for June. I just can't make up my mind even after reading the reviews. So what do you think is better? I have HoJo's for $59 a night, Tropicana for $71 a night and Best western for $100 a night. Obviously price wise Hojos is the best but What about considering the quality of each hotel? Which would you suggest? Thanks!

tod
05-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Only been to one, Park Place Inn, and I found it clean, comfortable, and right across the street from the entrance to the Disneyland complex. I'd rather pay the extra $30 and be that much closer to my room. Others may not mind the extra walk, especially when it's cheaper, and I have a friend who swears by the HoJo, but she is an AP holder and so she doesn't have to cough up that $9 tariff every day to park.

--t

CarlieB
05-26-2004, 03:16 PM
I'd go for the HoJo if you don't mind the walk (which is only 7-10 minutes anyway). If you want to be super-close to the parks, either of the other 2 would be fine.

Hakuna Makarla
05-26-2004, 03:19 PM
do you have kids and want to walk across the street, or walk a longer way? I chose the tropicana for the closeness, but then chose the carousel for the pool view bigger breakfast ( continental) and they gave me a room on the fifth floor by the breakfast room and close to the exit for the pool. Howard Johnsons has great reviews, if you are athletic and want to walk I would chose that one. I did until my travel agent told me it was just to far to walk with my little ones.

Lani
05-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Keschy; I've never stayed at the Tropicana, but I've stayed both at the BW and HoJos.

BW can't be beat for proximity. They are literally right across the street from the park pedestrian entrance.

HoJo's has recently renovated their rooms. They are a little farther away (but not far enough to drive), but their rooms are quite nice. Like Karla said, if you don't mind the extra walk, we think it's also a good deal.

splashmtngurl
05-26-2004, 03:29 PM
HoJo all the way!!! i just got back from a week long trip to dl and we stayed at HoJo its good as long as u dont mind walking a little bit (5-7 min walk) but its quiet and fairly cheap plus the pool (two of them) is really nice!

Gemini Cricket
05-26-2004, 04:51 PM
If you stay at Hojos, ask them for a room not facing the 5 freeway. I got a room facing that way and it was very, very noisy.

Otherwise, it was fine.
:)

TinkR
05-26-2004, 05:48 PM
If you have kids, who will be tired on the walk back, go for Park Place Inn. Any walk is 'that much longer' with tired little feet. We've stayed at the Park Place Inn twice this year (March & April - 6 nights each) and we're going back on June 27 for 5 nights. We've been staying there, exclusively, for over three years (5 or 6 trips a year). I have three children and we get a room with two queen beds and a sofa couch. I request a 3rd floor room facing McDonald's as it is quieter than the rooms on the other side (because of the delivery trucks to Mama's Cafe and the garbage service).

My friends stay at Hojo's (no kids) and really like it.

Hope that helps a bit.

Darkbeer
05-26-2004, 07:18 PM
I am a HoJo fan....

Don't forget, HoJo's is part of the ART shuttle system, for $3 a day (Adults, kids are free), you can ride the shuttle back and forth as much as you want...

The ride from the park to HoJo's is great, you are the first stop, great after a long day...

The ride to the park takes a bit longer, as the shuttle goes to a few other hotels before the park.....

I know folks who walk to the park, and ride the shuttle home....

And $59 is a great price for HoJo's....

If you decide to stay at HoJo's, please send the Sales and Marketing Director an e-mail at...

william.simpson@hojoanaheim.com

Let him know all your info, arrival and depature date, reservation number, etc.... He will do his best to give you an upgraded room at no charge....(Of course, subject to availabilty).. Just let him know that Darkbeer at MousePlanet.com referred you...

And folks, anyone who has a HoJo reservation for the Anaheim hotel on Harbor can take advantage of this special offer... if you have any questions, or special requests, they will do the best they can.. the entire staff there is amazing!

dsnylndmom
05-26-2004, 07:34 PM
We've done Hojo's and BW Park Place and Darkbeer is right the staff, especially Willie is GREAT! The rooms were spacious and nice and he upgraded us for our dec stay(day after christmas)to a 7th floor room facing the park, it was great!!

BUT if you have small kids I would choose Park Place, the walk is much easier for them, also easier to take a quick run back to the room in the afternoon and such plus you do get the breakfast, which wasn't a ton of food, continental breakfast, but enough to get us through, which saved us money on buying breakfast(which helps with the price difference!)

Let us know what you decide!

CarlieB
05-26-2004, 07:49 PM
And folks, anyone who has a HoJo reservation for the Anaheim hotel on Harbor can take advantage of this special offer... if you have any questions, or special requests, they will do the best they can.. the entire staff there is amazing!
We've just recently booked 4 rooms at the HoJo for various nights (some people are staying there longer than others) in December, from NZ. Are they okay doing this for people from overseas do you know? Some extra room would be great, if at all possible...

keschy
05-26-2004, 08:52 PM
Thank You so much for all the replies. I don't have kids so maybe Hojo's is the way to go. I think the price & the reviews might inspire me to there.But I love the idea of being just right across the street from the park! I've always thought it would be great to have someplace to crash mid-day (if I could tear myself away from the park of course). Still, a 5 minute walk might not be bad considering I'll have been walking all day anyway. I still have a little time to decide. Thanks again!

ps..Darkbeer thanks for the tips about getting a possible upgrade, I'll definitely look into that if we stay there.

jazzjunkie
05-27-2004, 05:15 AM
I would love to find out how you got such a good deal - $59 - at the HoJo!

keschy
05-27-2004, 07:27 AM
I would love to find out how you got such a good deal - $59 - at the HoJo!

I went through this site and made reservations about a month ago.They have rates right now around $80 I think. HTH!

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/dlmp.html

stinkerbell
05-27-2004, 08:22 AM
We've stayed at HoJo's and Park Place Inn, keschy. I like Park Place Inn. It was clean, the continental breakfast was thorough (bagels, juice, coffee, hot chocolate, milk, tea, bananas, apples, oranges, toast, English muffins, etc.), the room was nice and spacious and had a fridge and microwave. I stayed in a King suite with my daughter. There are no grounds....nothing special about the exterior of the motel. But you can't get closer to DL than this place. Well, except the Grand Californian.....;)

But my hotel of choice is now HoJo's!!! We stayed there for seven nights last April with three children, and it was roomy, immaculate, the staff was friendly, the room had a fridge and microwave, the grounds are very, very nice, the pools are gorgeous, our room was very quiet, on the ground floor, the trees are decorated in white lights and you can watch the fireworks from the courtyards. We could actually watch the fireworks from our room's patio!! The customer service was outstanding, and you can't beat that price! :)

The walk is very do-able, even with kids. We had no problems or complaints from our girls, ages 8, 5, and 2 at the time. We didn't even ride ART like we thought we would. We stopped at Millie's or Mimi's each day for breakfast or dinner, as both restaurants are on the way to the park. Worked out great for us.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-27-2004, 11:50 AM
We just spent 7 nights at Hojo and I highly recommend it.
Honestly the walk seemed like nothing to me. We had our double stroller for both our kids and just had them ride in that. Even after 6 days at the park the walk seemed fine.
The rooms are nice and spacious. We had a ground floor room and the pool, although it didn't seemed heated enough for me, was nice, both of them.