PDA

View Full Version : Cost to drive from Oregon to Anaheim?

keschy
05-26-2004, 09:06 AM
We are driving from Portland Oregon to Disneyland in June . I am trying to figure out the cost of gas for the trip & I am wondering if anyone has done this trip in the last few weeks? I am estimating around $200 but I don't know if that is right. Any ideas? Thanks

JTCarrey
05-26-2004, 09:31 AM
be aware that gas in California is high, in Anaheim, it's about 2.59 for Regular 2.69 for Premium, but that was last week, it could be higher this week

aztectodd
05-26-2004, 09:34 AM
It all depends on the type of car you're driving. In my SUV it would cost me about $300-400 to make that trip...gas prices in so cal are rediculous right now.

sediment
05-26-2004, 09:42 AM
About 1000 miles, according to mapquest.

Input MPG = x

Input gas price = $y.

total cost, one-way = (1000 / x) * y

Example, if you get 20 MPG and the gas you buy costs $2.50 per gallon, then
1000 / 20 * 2.5 = $125

keschy
05-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have a camry sedan so I'll check how much the MPG is and try to calculate it from there. With gas prices the way they are it might be cheaper to fly!

JTCarrey
05-26-2004, 10:13 AM
well I know my friend is flying from Texas to California in June, round trip for about $250 I think, so yea, flying would probably be cheaper ;)

Hakuna Makarla
05-26-2004, 11:06 AM
But the same flight we are taking now is 3-4 times more then what we started out with. Our round trip from montana to Anaheim, then fly out from san diego back home was 869.00 for 3 now its over $1300 for 1 person.
we saved a ton buy getting our vacation package months in advance.Thank goodness for pre planning, but on another note if something happens you are stuck with a mess of tickets LOL! my back gave out this week and so I am worried I will not be albe to walk long :(

Pat-n-Eil
05-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have a camry sedan so I'll check how much the MPG is and try to calculate it from there. With gas prices the way they are it might be cheaper to fly!

For one person perhaps.. but you said WE which means at least 1 other person right? In which case I'm certain that driving is cheaper - even if you stop for a night at a motel on the way down.

JTCarrey
05-26-2004, 11:33 AM
yea, in that case driving would be cheaper

keschy
05-26-2004, 11:35 AM
That's a good point. it would be me and my husband so unless I can get a really amazing deal on a flight it's still cheaper to drive. I miss being 40 minutes away from Disneyland!

Bruce Bergman
05-26-2004, 12:22 PM
That's a good point. it would be me and my husband so unless I can get a really amazing deal on a flight it's still cheaper to drive. I miss being 40 minutes away from Disneyland!

The fuel for a Camry is probably less than two airline tickets, unless you can find a deeply discounted fare. Sure the plane is faster, but the car is probably less hassles overall. No getting there 1 or 2 hours early to check in, no security to clear, no shoe inspections, no "Surprise! Your flight has been cancelled!", no getting charged for oversize luggage, no charges for a bag of peanuts, no getting charged for overweight bags as you bring your souvenier swag home...

Oh, and no renting a car when you get here. Or shuttle/cab bills to and from the airport. Parking is free at most hotels, but ask when you make reservations - How the DLR Hotels get away with charging is beyond me...

If you want to get here fast, with two drivers you can switch off driving so you're always moving, except for fuel food and relief stops. The other person is napping or navigating. 1000 miles at an average 60 MPH is around 16 hours - figure 18 to 20 for traffic and stops. If that doesn't sound like fun, stop for the night mid-way and break it up.

And GPS receivers are getting rather inexpensive. Takes all the drama out of "did we miss the turn-off?" (But they eat batteries, get the lighter adapter.)

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

BELLEH5
05-26-2004, 12:32 PM
In Northern Cal the gas prices range either from 2.19 or 2.29 to 2.39 or 2.69.
For me to drive to Anaheim it costs about $70-$90 and I have a big Kia Optima. Good Luck**

Bruce Bergman
05-26-2004, 07:37 PM
If you are a member of any discount stores that have gas stations - Costco and Sam's Club among others - get the list of where their gas stations are. With a little planning ahead, and willingness to go a few blocks off the freeway, you can save some serious money.

Is 10 to 25 cents a gallon enough of a reason? I just paid $2.29_9 for regular unleaded at the Simi Costco. (Which just happens to be right off the 118 at Madera. ;) ) There are stations asking $2.39_9 and higher with a straight face - Full Serve in Malibu (Small Town rates) is hovering around $3, and when your truck has a 39 gallon tank, it starts adding up fast...

Otherwise, when you get low on gas stop at a medium-sized town and ask someone for advice - the locals know where the cheaper stations are, and they're usually not the ones right off the freeway. Those stations know there's a steady stream of people who will pay extra for their gas just for the convenience of not getting out of sight of the SuperSlab.

sediment
05-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Wow, save a whole dollar to wait up to 30 minutes for gas in a line filled with concentrated exhaust. Such a bargain!!
Is thre an optimal time of day (or is there a fastpass) to go to that particular costco?
And mind you, it has to be on my way (like, to the costco), as it would cost me two dollars to get there and back.

Bruce Bergman
05-26-2004, 09:41 PM
Wow, save a whole dollar to wait up to 30 minutes for gas in a line filled with concentrated exhaust. Such a bargain!!
Is thre an optimal time of day (or is there a fastpass) to go to that particular costco?
And mind you, it has to be on my way (like, to the costco), as it would cost me two dollars to get there and back.

If you hit them early morning or right before closing, the lines are short or non-existant. Most open at 0600 or 0630, but that's about when my eyes are reluctantly opening - I'm an evening person. They stay open for an hour after the warehouse, which means 9:30 on weekdays.

I never make a special trip there, I go whenever I'm below 1/2 tank and I'm passing by, usually at lunch time for a double-purpose stop - "Eat and Get Gas". :rolleyes: Seriously, they could teach DL a thing or two about how to make great hot dogs.

(I'll have a hot and snappy Hebrew National Polish Dog, Gulden's brown mustard, Heinz ketchup, sweet pickle relish (NOT from a packet) and sauerkraut. MMMmmmm BOY! ;) )

The lines at Van Nuys have been horrid - because they're the only decent deal in the area. They keep having one or two closed days at the end of each quarter, because their stupid AQMD Permit only allows them to pump a certain amount of gasoline each quarter - its a ridiculous number like a million gallons a month, but with 3 to 4 truckloads a day (sometimes 5 on weekdays) dumping at 9,000 gallons a load, they've been hitting it. :eek: That's a LOT of gasoline.

Simi is rarely more than 15 minutes wait, usually a one or two car "you're up next" line, and they're adding 4 more pumps. No monthly limit. Burbank and Oxnard aren't too bad either.

adriennek
05-26-2004, 10:01 PM
My husband used to work in the petroleum industry and therefore, I'm not allowed to shop at no-name gas stations or stations that buy from lots of suppliers and so we don't know where they're getting their gas from. (Doc knows too much about what cheap gas does to cars and/or what Arco puts or doesn't put in their gas...)

Even buying gas from the stations I'm "allowed" to shop at (I also can't go to the company that laid Doc off,) and estimating the cost of gas this summer, we're better off, cost wise, driving on our summer trip from heck will be less expensive than flying. And that includes three additional nights in hotels AND food for those extra days. (We actually only "need" two additional hotel nights but we're taking three.) And we're not going to totally inexpensive hotels, either. Two nights we'll be an an Embassy Suites.

Adrienne

sediment
05-27-2004, 07:57 AM
OK Bruce, you sold me. The hot dogs ARE pretty good!

cirquelover
05-27-2004, 08:03 AM
It looks like it cost us about $114 for gas, but that was 1 1/2 months ago, and we started in Vegas. I was so close to Disney I could taste it but alas husband said we couldn't go and we'd be back. I have a Honda civic sedan and it gets great mileage.

stinkerbell
05-27-2004, 08:11 AM
keschy, we live in Portland, and made the trip last year when gas was about $1.89/gal in a Ford Expedition, which as you can guess, gets horrible mileage. Right now I'm paying $55 for a full tank (@$2.39/gal), and I'd have to re-fuel two times on the way down (in my car, we're exactly three tanks from Disneyland), so it would be about $400 (allowing for higher prices in SoCal) for the round-trip in my gas-hog. You guys would be a lot better off. Airline tix to LAX have been hovering about $225-$250 from PDX, and then you'd have to pay to get to Anaheim. Driving is still cheaper for the two of you...but barely.

When we make the drive, we go overnight. Start off about 7 pm, drink tons of coffee, eat at questionable restaurants at 2 am, and always have a blast. We do this to avoid traffic and because I used to hate staying in hotels on the way down to Disneyland....and even though I'm an adult and should be more patient, I am not. :D We get to Anaheim usually by 10 am, stopping along the way at Krispy Kreme, of course.

Good luck and have a great trip!!

keschy
06-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Bumping for fellow Oregonian driving to DL