PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of getting soaked on a ride??

Pages : [1] 2

ken77
05-26-2004, 07:35 AM
I've never undertsood this concept whether at Disney or your run of the mill amusement park. Unless you have a light t-shirt, flip flops and bathing suit trunks(guys) on, what is the thrill of coming off a ride soaked beyond belief(socks, sneakers, underwear, etc...) especially in moderate weather(overcast, windy & cool)? Couldn't rides like Splash Mountain be designed to get you a little wet, but not drenched?

Tinker Bell
05-26-2004, 07:43 AM
I've never undertsood this concept whether at Disney or your run of the mill amusement park. Unless you have a light t-shirt, flip flops and bathing suit trunks(guys) on, what is the thrill of coming off a ride soaked beyond belief(socks, sneakers, underwear, etc...) especially in moderate weather(overcast, windy & cool)? Couldn't rides like Splash Mountain be designed to get you a little wet, but not drenched?

I have never been "drenched" on SM.Does the happen?

jrad32
05-26-2004, 07:44 AM
I've never been dreched on splash. A little wet, but not drenched. If you want drenched try Dudley Do Right's Ripsaw Falls at IOA. Without a doubt this is the wettest ride I've been on. I rode it at the end of a visit just in case I got drenched and I did. It was fun, but I probably wouldn't ride it again unless it was 110 outside.

Getting soaked does have its drawbacks, and I sometimes pass on rides that promise a soaking, depending on my plans for the day and the weather.

ken77
05-26-2004, 07:46 AM
I've never been dreched on splash. A little wet, but not drenched. If you want drenched try Dudley Do Right's Ripsaw Falls at IOA. Without a doubt this is the wettest ride I've been on. I rode it at the end of a visit just in case I got drenched and I did. It was fun, but I probably wouldn't ride it again unless it was 110 outside.

Getting soaked does have its drawbacks, and I sometimes pass on rides that promise a soaking, depending on my plans for the day and the weather.

I was looking at some old threads that gave the impression that you can really get soaked on SM.

Pat-n-Eil
05-26-2004, 08:10 AM
Splash Montain is a log ride (flume) and so the parts that might get you wet are associated with the drops. I find that being in the back minimizes the wetness usually.. but I've never been so drenched from Splash Mountain that it was uncomfortable for very long.

Grizzly River run, however, can get you quite wet. I agree that some water repellent shoes or sandals, shorts or trunks and a light T-Shirt would be the best apparel for that. Maybe if you had a backpack you could put some extra clothes in there just for that.. Last year we were staying at GCH for Thanksgiving week and made a special trip to DCA to Ride GRR (we rode it twice in a row) and then went back to the warm spa at the hotel. It was good!

lilblckrncloud
05-26-2004, 08:27 AM
Last year we were staying at GCH for Thanksgiving week and made a special trip to DCA to Ride GRR (we rode it twice in a row) and then went back to the warm spa at the hotel. It was good! That was definitely one of the highlights of the one and only time I ever stayed at GCH - going straight from the room in my bathing suit (with swim trunks over it) and sandals to GRR and right back to the room to dry off. We didn't get soaked enough for my taste! My only regret was not having time to go on it over and over. I wish I had planned for it, but I hadn't realized just how much fun it would be to go on it and not worry about my shoes or my bag at all.

But as for the original question about the draw of getting soaked on a ride, I personally love any ride on which I will get wet, and I think it has to do with the novelty and shock value. Even though you know you will get wet, you never know exactly which parts will splash you or how much. For a while a couple of summers ago, my best friend and I would go to the park a couple nights a week and go on Splash very last, hoping to get drenched. Most of the time we did! For some reason we found it hilariously fun every single time. :D

ppmuse
05-26-2004, 08:34 AM
For me personally, it's the anticipation of getting wet that I love so much. And when somebody else gets wet and it's not me, oh the thrill. I also love watching the little kids hoping to get wet, their whole face is crunched up in anticipation. There's no ride at Disneyland that gets me really soaked, though at times when the log is full, I could get really wet on Splash Mountain. My wife and i have learned to go to the hotel, change into a swimsuit and flip flops, and then go ride on Grizzly rapids, which is my step brothers favorite ride (he's 4). As a teen, I could ride those rides all night long and my clothes were so soaked they actually would bleed and stain my pants. Now, one time is good enough for me.

sediment
05-26-2004, 08:36 AM
I just don't get on soaking rides unless it's about 90 and I'm already dressed for it, and that I'd rather be wet than sweat.

jswtsang
05-26-2004, 09:06 AM
I remember getting pretty drenched when i was younger (maybe 12?) at splash mountain, the water kept spashing up the sides and running down my legs in the log, this wasn't when we were splashing, but just randomly floating along. my dad was alone in the first compartment so he got the most wet, then my mom and i were together in the next compartment, i got wet and she stayed dry...no fair :-P ( i can't remember if he was first or we were, but i was quite wet) but the most wet i've gotten in disneyland is at the canoe ride, little kids can't row, they just splash water all down your pants. In florida they have that kali river rapids ride, it wouldnt' get you as wet if there weren't things popping up and squirting water at you! i went in july and was still drenched all day even til 8 or 9 pm!
oh and it's refreshing on a hot day, i don't think i'd like to go on a cold day
jt

Explicit
05-26-2004, 09:27 AM
On those hot days when the parks reach 95 degrees or higher, getting soaked is great because you know that in less then 10 minutes you'll be dry. Thats the only time when getting soaked is great. Other then that you kind of bypass such rides.

Ghoulish Delight
05-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Depends on my mood. I've ridden Splash, at midnight, in the front, as my last ride of the night. And got soaked (yes, it does happen). What can I say? Why is it fun? I don't know. But it is. It's just somehow ammusing to be walking around at midnight soaked to the bone.

aztectodd
05-26-2004, 09:32 AM
On mothers day my girlfriend and I rode the Matterhorn at night and both got SOAKED. Right at the very end of the ride where you splash down into the water... We're both pretty skinny and had two other skinny people on the ride with us....holy cow, we were amazed with how wet we got....never had anything like that happen before.

GreenDragon
05-26-2004, 09:59 AM
I have never been "drenched" on SM.Does the happen?

I have. My sister and I went one February 7 or 8 years ago (geez, time flies...), and the water in the channel was deeper than usual. We were in the front section of the log, and on a turn the log drifted against the side of the channel, causing a WAVE to slosh over the side and soak me from top to bottom, all down my right side. Hair, shirt, jeans, everything. Took me hours to dry out. :(

She laughed at me, as good sisters will.:rolleyes: Luckily, it was a fairly moderate day, so I didn't freeze or anything.

Now, on the part of the ride where you're SUPPOSED to get splashed, I've never gotten more than mildly misted. Go fig.

Cadaverous Pallor
05-26-2004, 04:06 PM
On mothers day my girlfriend and I rode the Matterhorn at night and both got SOAKED. Right at the very end of the ride where you splash down into the water... We're both pretty skinny and had two other skinny people on the ride with us....holy cow, we were amazed with how wet we got....never had anything like that happen before.Once I got wet on the Matterhorn. A friend rode in front of us and stuck his arms into the spray. He soaked everyone behind him. He told us it was a kamikaze trick he'd learned, since he was more soaked than anyone. Jerk. :p

CarlieB
05-26-2004, 04:12 PM
I plan it fairly carefully. I'm not going on GRR when it's cold, or generally at nighttime, because then I'll get cold (might be different when I'm staying at the GCH this time though - less of a walk to get changed:D ). However if it's warm I love getting wet on GRR and then sitting in the sun for 20 minutes on Paradise Pier, people watching and getting dry again:)

GeminiAngel
05-26-2004, 05:17 PM
I HATE getting wet. My first time was at Magic MT. on the flume ride. I was soaked to the bone!!! and got pretty bad blisters from my sneakers being soaked. Unless I am wearing sandals and a bathing suit top with shorts (in other words planning on getting wet). YUCK!!!!

SCUBAbe
05-26-2004, 09:10 PM
The point is...IT'S FUN!!...well fun for some people...just like the tiki room is fun for some poeple and I just assume see that show discontinued....and it's a small world, *boring yawn*...but some people like those attractions so they remain....you can't please all of the people all of the time. That may be why there are many ride choices at the parks. I would love to see more roller coasters and not the tame kind that they have put in so far.....The best one they have so far is screamin' and hat is really mild!

MonorailMan
05-26-2004, 10:07 PM
Best line ever. After riding GRR, went to use a Tower fastpass. The bellhop was like "Ahh, I see you've found our pool." :) :p

DisneyFan25863
05-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Best line ever. After riding GRR, went to use a Tower fastpass. The bellhop was like "Ahh, I see you've found our pool." :) :p
Classic.

I love the Bellhops at Tower. They always make up the BEST comments!

donatello3000
05-26-2004, 11:21 PM
Different strokes for different folks?
I wonder... What's the point of not getting soaked on a water ride? To me, people wearing ponchos on GRR look silly. The rocking action simply wouldn't excite me much.

Anyway... I came off of Splash Mountain pretty dry yesterday. I remember the good old days when it was brand spankin' new and I used to get drenched. I can't believe they modified it to wet you less (at least what I heard was that they modified the final splash because people complained about how wet they got on SPLASH Mountain). Didn't Jurassic Park at USH get the same reduced-splash treatment?

dasrock
05-27-2004, 01:04 AM
during the summer getting soaked on GRR is grrreat fun...but only if your room is near. Last time we stayed at the GCH and it was easy to go back to the room and change. It would sux if you couldn't change and had to go around DL wet all day.

Only once did I ever get totally soaked, I mean even the money in my wallet was wet. The old Marine World near Vacaville...hint don't sit in the first row at the killer whale show :eek: ...I still remember the taste of the water...yuck :p

CoasterMatt
05-27-2004, 06:27 AM
Didn't Jurassic Park at USH get the same reduced-splash treatment?
Jurassic Park had a magnetic braking system added to the bottom of the drop, to help smooth out the stop. Unfortunately, in order to add the brake fin, they had to remove the rooster tail that would cause most of the huge splash. You can still get plenty wet on JP, though.

julgraham
05-27-2004, 06:44 AM
I always thought they should have a winter setting, so when it's cold you don't get wet but can still enjoy the ride.

ken77
05-27-2004, 07:28 AM
I wonder... What's the point of not getting soaked on a water ride?

You're right to each his own. My last 2 cents on this...Getting soaked in a "water park" when you have nothing but a bathing suit on is expected. Getting soaked when you have a full set of clothes on is not expected and unless you have a hotel nearby or a change of clothes with you, you will be uncomfortable walking around all day in wet clothes.

blusilva
05-27-2004, 07:36 AM
I wonder... What's the point of not getting soaked on a water ride?

I go on Splash because I like the story. It's a true dark ride that just happens to be on a flume. It also happens to contain some of my favorite AAs from America Sings. So I suffer the wetness. I hate getting wet and I always do manage to get soaked (as someone mentioned upthread, it's always when you're just sort of floating around and waves slosh into the log. I hate the nasty swampy smell of Splash Mountain water. Yuck.)

Whereas GRR? It's not an "attraction" to me. Hey look, a tree! Hey look, more trees! The old log ride at Knott's Berry Farm was more exciting. I went on it once, just to go. I'll never go on it again.