PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cream Shop on Main Street

Explicit
05-25-2004, 04:27 PM
First off I'd like to hello to everyone and that after many years of checking out this site I finally joined the message boards. I am a 19 year old male and I have been going to Disneyland since I was three years old. My family finally became AP holders three years ago and even though we live in Northern California, my parents have always made it a point to take trips down to Disneyland.

Well this is where my question comes in. For the past two years now my father, uncle and myself have tried to figure out one particular thing, What is the reasoning for the Ice Cream Shop on Main Street to open? This is the one that is behind the fruit stand next to the lockers. For the past two years we have noticed that the windows open up at the oddest times. For example, during the day the windows for the ice cream shop do not open, but at night they do and not just every night; its more like on random nights. This past weekend my family drove down to Disneyland just to get away and while it wasn't hot it was still comfortable during the day. Again the windows remained closed, but on saturday night when it was a little chilly outside the windows were open and selling ice cream. :confused: We have asked cast members what must occur for it to open and they weren't sure. We came up with two ideas that it must be, either A) their are to many people at one particular place and the cast members were told to show up there or B) a particular tempature must be reached at a certain part of the park for it to open. If anyone has any info as to what has to occur for the shop to open, it would be very helpful.

Sorry for the long post, but after coming back from Disneyland I'm very curious if anyone has noticed this and/or has any information.

Not Afraid
05-25-2004, 05:00 PM
THe "Cone Shop" usually only opens during busy main street hours ie: before the parades or, sometimes, before Fireworks.

Just ask a CM with a schedule when the Cone Shop will be open that day.

CarlieB
05-25-2004, 05:02 PM
Do they sell anything different from the Gibson Girl or is it the same stuff in a different location?

JeffG
05-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Our theory has long been that this stand only opens during really cold nights when nobody would actually want ice cream... :)

-Jeff

Explicit
05-25-2004, 05:13 PM
Thats the first info I've heard that relates to when we have seen it open. But its still odd because who wants Ice cream at 9:30 at night? Unless its still warm outside.

LOL at when it opens only on cold nights. Thats a very true statement.

Fantasmic Fan
05-25-2004, 08:35 PM
Believe me...people want ice cream from 2:30 in the afternoon until they are kicked out late at night.

Cone Shop, the ice cream shop behind the fruit cart, is scheduled to open everyday unless it rains or the park attendance is very low; therefore it does not open. The point of the little ice cream place is to relieve some pressure off of its parent restaurant, Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor. Temperature has nothing to do with the restaurant opening.

The menu varies slightly. Freshly sliced caramel apples, homemade cookie sandwiches, and the ODV ice cream bars are also sold there. Two of the big differences between Gibson Girl and Cone Shop is that Cone Shop has marshmellow topping and does not offer the Grand Gibson sundae.

Explicit
05-25-2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. At least I can stop wondering about the random openings. The caramel apples are one of the best things on their. :) I wish I was there.

cstephens
05-26-2004, 04:54 AM
The point of the little ice cream place is to relieve some pressure off of its parent restaurant, Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor.

One would think that if that were true, opening the ice cream window during the middle of the day in very warm weather when the line at Gibson Girl is 20 or 30 or more people deep would be a good idea.

stan4d_steph
05-26-2004, 05:59 AM
I love the ice cream sanwiched between 2 chocolate chip cookies. They only serve that at the Cone Shop.

iwannabeanimagineer
05-26-2004, 06:26 AM
I have found very little relationship between the temperature and when I observe people eating ice cream. Here, in Utah, late on a cold winter's night you can see a line of people going out the door and down the sidewalk at Coldstone Creameries and other popular ice cream places.

JTCarrey
05-26-2004, 09:35 AM
I love ice cream at any hour!! Even if it's freezing cold, but I've always been weird lol and yea, Gibson Girl gets sooooo crowded sometimes I just walk out, I hate waiting around for ice cream as long as I wait around to go on a ride :p

Cadaverous Pallor
05-26-2004, 10:36 AM
I am continually surprised every winter at the lines at Gibson Girl when it's freezing outside. There are other places to buy coffee.

Not Afraid
05-26-2004, 11:40 AM
So, I tried to get a "real" answer out of my visiting CM but was told that there is no set schedule and that is opens and closes when needed.

Oh, and, subject to change without notice. :rolleyes:

keschy
05-26-2004, 11:45 AM
The only times I have gone were during the parade when Gibson is way to crowded. I still like Gibson Girls better because they have the chocolate dipped cones :)

Explicit
05-26-2004, 05:24 PM
Both have their good and bad.

Not Afraid
05-26-2004, 10:49 PM
OK. Here's the "official" skinny on the Cone Shop:

Cone Shop Hours: Monday-Friday 4:00-8:00 / Saturday-Sunday 6:00-10:00