PDA

View Full Version : Safety outside Disneyland

PunjabiMouse
05-24-2004, 10:46 PM
Hi I am just wondering what the saftey is like outside the disney area, on harobur blvd. Is it quite safe to walk around at night? Are there a lot of police?

Opus1guy
05-24-2004, 11:49 PM
Harbor, Katella, Disney and Ball around the Disneyland Resort proper, are all fairly safe, IMHO. But like any place, crime can happen anywhere. You should never have a false sense of security when out on public streets around Disneyland.

Once you move away from Disneyland even one block, all bets are off. You're probably safe moving south on Harbor quite a ways. But west or east on Katella is a different story.

But generally you'll be okay and there's plenty of folks around.

I'd avoid Walnut. That's the street directly behind the Disneyland Hotel. That area has been known to be a somewhat bad section. Many drug deals going on there for years apparently. But most tourists would never have reason to go back that way, anyway.

jazzjunkie
05-25-2004, 01:29 AM
I think it also depends on what time period you're looking at. I've walked alone failry often as a lone female to and from DL and my hotel around DL closing time. No problems, plenty of pedestrian traffic.

But I wouldn't venture out alone at, say, 3am or anything.

Boingonut
05-25-2004, 04:54 AM
I'd avoid Walnut. That's the street directly behind the Disneyland Hotel. That area has been known to be a somewhat bad section. Many drug deals going on there for years apparently. But most tourists would never have reason to go back that way, anyway.

I went to Walnut once by mistake, and wow that place is scary. You would never belive that DL is only a hop skip and a jump away. But like Opus said, there really is no reason to go back there, and if you happen to get lost like I did just keep your head and hopfully no one will bug you, just try not to look to much like a tourist ;). Let me put it this way, if you are singing M I C K E Y M O U S E at the top of your lungs out the windows of your car in any place other then the disneyland parking lot, bad things could happen :crying: And who wants to turn there DL vacation into a horror trip. I guess what I am trying to say is just have the kind of common sense you would have in any big city,and just because you are going to DL dose not mean that the real world stops being the real world. And I hate to be a party pooper, but it really dose not stop at the gates of DL eaither, I have heard of sooooo many people getting robed and other bad things happning just because they are at DL and did not use the kind of common sense they would have normaly used in any other situation. I think that the area around DL is pretty safe though, but it dose depend, there are places around the park that have so many people around most of the time that it is usally pretty safe. Good luck, and have fun! :)

TP2000
05-25-2004, 12:28 PM
If you stick to Downtown Disney and Harbor Blvd., you won't have anything to worry about. But if you leave the "Resort" area proper, or try going down Katella or Ball a few blocks in either direction from Disneyland you may run into trouble very fast.

Anaheim is an aging, Lower-Middle Class community that now has a 15 year history with drugs and gangs and crime. Some of the old 1950's and 60's motels originally built for Disneyland's tourist trade have now become drug motels and places of prostitution where the residents live for months and years at a time in the motel rooms. The Arena Inn, just down Katella from Disneyland, is the most infamous of these places. And there are a couple other small drug motels closer to Disneyland near Harbor Blvd.

Many of the neighborhoods in Anaheim, outside of the theme parks and the sports facilities, are not an attractive or safe place to find yourself at any time of the day.