PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare Before Christmas ride

Pages : [1] 2

Disney Vault
05-24-2004, 02:44 PM
Did you ready the DL article that said it might be moving to WDW. That sucks so much. How can they just take it away from DL? Why dont they let both parks have it instead of taking it away from DL?

splashmtngurl
05-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Ummm what nightmare before christmas ride is there? The only attraction involving the nigtmare before christmas that i know of is the special christmas makeover that is done each christmas on the haunted mansion! Is this what you were refering to?

Boingonut
05-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Did you ready the DL article that said it might be moving to WDW. That sucks so much. How can they just take it away from DL? Why dont they let both parks have it instead of taking it away from DL?

Becase Disneyland is the "red-headed step child" of the disney parks, if something starts at DL that is even remotly cool it is always taken away. :mad:

splashmtngurl
05-24-2004, 03:37 PM
lol nice one...............i see what you mean though it seems like Disney removes some of the best attractions that disneyland has!! i mean i remember riding the submarines (20,000 leagues under the sea) ride when i was young and am very dissapointed that it is no longer working~

disneymatt
05-24-2004, 03:49 PM
Does this mean that the EVENT will no longer take place or the MAKEOVER of the Haunted Mansion? I can only hope that they will continue with Haunted Mansion Holiday indefinitely and just not have the event in 2005. Anyone know?

cstephens
05-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Ummm what nightmare before christmas ride is there? The only attraction involving the nigtmare before christmas that i know of is the special christmas makeover that is done each christmas on the haunted mansion! Is this what you were refering to?

The OP is referring to the following blurb in this week's MousePlanet Disneyland update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr040524.htm):

Disneyland sources tell us that this is the last year that the Haunted Mansion Holiday event will take this format at Disneyland, and speculate that the Nightmare Before Christmas-themed events will move to Walt Disney World in 2005. Disneyland could then host events based on the “classic” Haunted Mansion, or move onto a new attraction.

And technically, they're referring to the events, not necessarily the HMH overlay itself. But, it's probably dependent on the contract that was signed giving Disney the right to use the Nightmare characters in Mansion.

splashmtngurl
05-24-2004, 04:59 PM
well, by taking that out of HMH they are kinda ruining the fun arent they?

tink1234
05-25-2004, 07:26 AM
Here's a direct quote from the link: "Disneyland sources tell us that this is the last year that the Haunted Mansion Holiday event will take this format at Disneyland, and speculate that the Nightmare Before Christmas-themed events will move to Walt Disney World in 2005. Disneyland could then host events based on the “classic” Haunted Mansion, or move onto a new attraction."

Judging from the bolded area I would guess they would be no longer doing the overlay. If they were still doing the overlay then why would they be basing things on the "'classic'" mansion. This really puts a damper on things for our family, if that's the case!!!

We are travelling to DL and staying GCH concierge Christmas Eve/Day partly to enjoy the whole experience. I have traveled to San Antonio to see the Nightmare set when it was travelling to different museums. I really will miss this and probably will not travel to DL again during Christmas if this is true!

Not Afraid
05-25-2004, 08:24 AM
There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..............Shining over at Walt Disney World.

Boy, did I wake up cynical today. :eek:

Pirate Girl
05-25-2004, 08:47 AM
Did you read the DL article that said it might be moving to WDW. That sucks so much. How can they just take it away from DL? Why dont they let both parks have it instead of taking it away from DL?

Am I the only one that can't stand the Nightmare overlay of Mansion? I didn't like the movie and I don't like the ride. HAunted Mansion is one of my favorite rides, it's really dissapointing when I go to DL at Christmas to have to skip my favorite ride because it has been molested.

JeffG
05-25-2004, 10:41 AM
But, it's probably dependent on the contract that was signed giving Disney the right to use the Nightmare characters in Mansion.

Disney owns the "Nightmare Before Christmas" characters, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. The film was a Touchstone Pictures production. When the film first came out, I recall reading that Tim Burton had no choice but to make the film at Disney since he had originally created the concept during the time that he was employed by Disney as an animator. Basically, when Burton became successful, Disney dusted off his concept drawings and asked him if he was interested in revisiting the idea.

I have some recollection of hearing that Burton did get a partial ownership stake in the characters, but I really can't imagine that Disney didn't get extremely long term (if not perpetual) rights to use the characters at will within the theme parks. I doubt Burton has any control over that beyond approval rights. Even Disney's deals for the Pixar films and with Amblin for "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" give them pretty much unlimited rights to use the characters in the parks.

Maybe AVP (or one of the other MP staffers) can step in with some clarification of what they meant in the column yesterday, but I definitely interpreted it as referring to the big merchandise events and not to the attraction itself. Considering its huge success, I would imagine they will continue doing the attraction for many years to come.

-Jeff

Darkbeer
05-25-2004, 10:45 AM
Well, the question is what will happen in 2004, and 2005 and beyond...

I think it is safe to say that you will have the Christmas fireworks and the snow effect in 2004, plus the park decorated and the large Christmas tree in the Town Square....... though the refurb schedule does not list the makeover for it's a small world holiday.... (while it does list the installation and removal of the Haunted Mansion Holiday version for 2004.)

Now for 2005......

Well, I have to admit that there has been no confirmation, except...

It has been verified that this is the last year for the Haunted Mansion Special Merchandising event...

And the current TDA refurb list shows the installation and removal of Haunted Mansion Holiday in 2004, but not its a small world holiday....

Now, starting in May 2005, the focus will be on the 50th celebration, with Buzz Lightyear opening up, maybe in July, maybe later, and Space Mountain opening right around the start of the "Christmas season" in early November or so....

And while I have faith that TDA will decorate the park, and add appropriate music and some entertainment opportunities... what will they do with the special 50th parade and fireworks during that time, they are advertising it as a 18 month event, that is May 2005 thru October 2006.... Will the special 50th version remain, maybe with a special Christmas fireworks ending, so they can do the special snow effect (that is a crowd favorite, and fairly cheap to offer).... If they are advertising these new features (50th parade/fireworks) in the 18 month campaign, how can they not offer them in the Christmas season.....

I am not sure if they need to do the overlays in 2005, as they are getting some pretty large crowds for the Christmas season right now, and between the Space Mountain opening, and the special 50th events, well, will there be any budget to offer them, and does Disney want to close a couple of main attractions in the middle of the 50th anniversary?

There is a good chance that the special overlays might go on hiatus, and only return if the park attendance numbers drop a significant amount during the holiday season.....

LSPoorEeyorick
05-25-2004, 11:11 AM
Nooooooo!

I'm disappointed to hear that the holiday overlays might glow away for awhile. I so enjoy both of the dressed-up versions, and I think they would add to the 50th celebration. (Taking them away would take away from it.)

olegc
05-25-2004, 11:38 AM
I am not sure if they need to do the overlays in 2005, as they are getting some pretty large crowds for the Christmas season right now, and between the Space Mountain opening, and the special 50th events, well, will there be any budget to offer them, and does Disney want to close a couple of main attractions in the middle of the 50th anniversary?

There is a good chance that the special overlays might go on hiatus, and only return if the park attendance numbers drop a significant amount during the holiday season.....

But - in the past Disneyland OWNED Christmas time in SoCal. Every year they have been pushing the fact that it's such a different experience at Christimas time - including the overlays. IMHO it would be a let down for many who come at holiday time not to see at LEAST the SW overlay. and HMH is so fun - but it may suffer from the 50th...

However, how much do you want to bet that adding the HMH overlay at WDW will be tied to "special additional 50th anniversary celebration events..." like they did something EXTRA for the Disney community... Won't that be just peachy...

SzczerbiakManiac
05-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Am I the only one that can't stand the Nightmare overlay of Mansion?One of the few, yes—it's quite popular.

But you're welcome to your opinion. :)

Pat-n-Eil
05-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Am I the only one that can't stand the Nightmare overlay of Mansion?

We saw it for the first time last year.
My family was split.
My wife is not a fan of the movie and wasn't too impressed with the overlay. My Son thought it was cool.
I liked it okay, but my daughter prefers the original.

So 1 yes, 1 so-so and 2 no.

mamabot
05-25-2004, 12:18 PM
I have a little boy at home who would be crushed if the HMH overlay went away forever. :crying:

Do I tell him that because of budgetary cutbacks, he can no longer see his favorite attraction? Or do I say that Mickey changed the locks and refused to give Jack a new key?

Clarification of the article would be nice.

Disneyphile
05-25-2004, 01:11 PM
I really hope I don't have to stage a demonstration in front of HMH this year, complete with shirts saying "Don't Evict Jack!" :(

Ghoulish Delight
05-25-2004, 01:43 PM
As a HUGE fan of the Mansion, and a HUGE fan of Nightmare Before Christmas....I'm wouldn't be upset to see it go, believe it or not.

I enjoyed it immensly while it was there, but I've seen it, a lot, and I wouldn't mind seeing it move on. For one thing, it contributed to the continued absorption of Halloween by Christmas. Because the overlay was themed to the Christmas parts of the movie, Halloween got completely lost and turned into an early Christmas. I want Halloween back!! I'd LOVE to see them do some classic Mansion events around Halloween, with a purely Halloween tilt. No Christmas carols, no snow, no presents, no gingerbread houses. Just ghouls, ghosts, and candy!

I'm also a little tired of the extra couple of months of down time that are required to apply and remove the overlay every year. It'd be nice to have it up nearly year round (minus regular maintanance, of course) again.

Nope, I'm not really going to miss it, as much as I enjoyed it while it was here.

Darkbeer
05-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Don't forget this quote from Monday's update...

http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr040524.htm

Another source tells us that DCA may be the home of future Halloween events, noting that the back story for the newly opened Tower of Terror ride claims that the lightening strike that damaged the building occured on October 31, 1939.

If they plan to offer some sort of Halloween event at DCA, why would TDA want to compete with itself?

CarlieB
05-25-2004, 01:58 PM
I'd LOVE to see them do some classic Mansion events around Halloween, with a purely Halloween tilt. No Christmas carols, no snow, no presents, no gingerbread houses. Just ghouls, ghosts, and candy! This would be cool, with a similarly (maybe scarier?) themed ToT over in DCA. A proper Halloween theme would be great ( and attract the crowds perhaps?)

cstephens
05-25-2004, 02:33 PM
Do I tell him that because of budgetary cutbacks, he can no longer see his favorite attraction? Or do I say that Mickey changed the locks and refused to give Jack a new key?

Would you really say one of those two things to your son? I'm not a parent nor do I play one, but both of those statements seem harsher than I would expect someone to say to their child.

If it comes to pass that this is the last year for HMH at DL, how about telling your son that Jack wanted to visit the kids in Florida, so he went there to spend some time with them?

And I don't recall it being said anywhere that HMH's possible non-return to DL is because of budget cuts.

AVP
05-25-2004, 02:41 PM
Goodness.

Here's what was in the Update:
Disneyland sources tell us that this is the last year that the Haunted Mansion Holiday event will take this format at Disneyland, and speculate that the Nightmare Before Christmas-themed events will move to Walt Disney World in 2005. Disneyland could then host events based on the “classic” Haunted Mansion, or move onto a new attraction.
All we were discussing were the events. Not the future of the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay and not "it's a small world holiday." Just the events.

WDW CMs have already been told they are getting the Nightmare overlay next year, whether it's been officially confirmed or not. And there are rumors that the overlay may not happen at Disneyland next year during 50th. But that isn't what the Update was talking about. The Update referred only to the Haunted Mansion Holiday Merchandise Special Events at Disneyland.

I don't get where the talk of budget cuts came in.

AVP

Disney Vault
05-25-2004, 02:41 PM
DL already has it so why cant they keep it. WDW has a big budget so they could buy their own HMH overlay.

Ghoulish Delight
05-25-2004, 03:54 PM
Goodness.

Here's what was in the Update:
All we were discussing were the events. Not the future of the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay and not "it's a small world holiday." Just the events.

AVPTrue, but why would they have an event based on the "classic" Mansion while it has the NBC overlay on? The fact that they are considering "classic" Mansion events implies that it will remain in it's "classic" form. Which would be just dandy, imho.