PDA

View Full Version : The Plaza Pavillion to become a new pin spot - FabDisBabe.com

Darkbeer
05-24-2004, 12:26 PM
AP processing out, the County Fair is coming to the Hub.....

http://www.fabulousdisneybabe.com/fab/articles/showArticles.asp?ID=120

The Country Fair is coming to Disneyland! Not the State Fair - don't hold your breath for a ferris wheel or pig races - The Plaza Pavilion will be the Country Fair, with outdoor vending carts galore, pin-trading, and a new, Nestle-sponsored 'Jr. Chef' program for the little ones to create yummy treats.

:eek:

AVP
05-24-2004, 12:49 PM
The Premiere Shop is closing in July for continued work on the BLYSRS ride, but they haven't decided where to relocate "Pin Central." The current plan is just to bring out all of the currently-mothballed pin carts and park them around the resort, and use The Emporium, Greetings and WOD for the big pin releases.

Potential long-term replacement locations include Frontierland and the Plaza Pavillion, as well as the former X Games Arcade location in DCA. But I haven't heard of a final decision.

Mike Griggs is going to The Gap. It's a real loss to the Disney company, but it's not at all unexpected. I haven't heard how / if he is being replaced. Mike was already filling two jobs, as he absorbed the duties of Carmen Bauza when her position was elliminated.

AVP

olegc
05-24-2004, 03:12 PM
While I never met Mike in person if he was part of the 50th planning does this not mean he was part of the problem (what was planned) - or did he have the same issue as imagineers - great ideas that were squelched...

I really like Merch events but it seemed the original 50th plan was so weak. Then again, as each day passes, the current plans seem to be going in that direction as well.... :crying:

splashmtngurl
05-24-2004, 04:56 PM
well i just hope they can install another, possibly bigger, premier style store somewhere else becuase as a big pin collector i would rather be able to see all my pins in one store rather then hunting them down through the park! :)

olegc
05-24-2004, 05:02 PM
Well, IMHO, they can just take all that extra stuff that does not move in Showcase and put it back where it (naturally) was. THen it won't have to move around to several locations when new pins come out and when Plaza Pavillion opens it can be the "new" single place.

I can see it now... "New pin? Oh, that's at Emporium...."
"oh, not here at Emporium, you want to try Frontierland"...
"sorry, we are not carrying that pin,try Fantasy Faire (or better yet, Gag Factory)"

Yeah, shove everyone back up into the park. yeah, yeah.... :p

Ace
05-24-2004, 05:02 PM
Where will AP processing go?

splashmtngurl
05-24-2004, 05:40 PM
lol hey pin collecting's hectic, trust me, i have roughly 500

CoasterMatt
05-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Gag Factory - what an appropriate name for a place to hold pin traders :p

Darkbeer
05-24-2004, 06:05 PM
Where will AP processing go?
I have been thinking about the AP center...

It won't work inside DCA (places like the old x-cade building on Bathroom Row) for a couple of reasons...

One is hours, many folks get their AP at the end of the day, and DCA closes 2 to 3 hours earlier than Disneyland, so while you could put one in each park to cut down the amount of space needed in Disneyland, moving the AP center to DCA wouldn't work... (Well, you could put it into Engine Ears Toys, and then close off the rest of the park with fences like used for the security perimeter, and of course, you would have to staff CM's to watch over the DCA entry way for those last few hours every day.... too much hassle...)

Second is the fact of collecting money.... Most folks get a single day ticket to Disneyland, and if they wanted to upgrade, they would have to go to either to Bank of Main Street or the Main Entry ticket windows and pay the additional cost, and get an AP voucher, that would allow the guest to enter DCA, and go get their photo.... this would make it harder for the guest to do an impuse upgrade, and would result in additional CM labor....

So, where could it go....

Well, the Main Entry Plaza area would work, but is there enough area near the kennels to set up a processing center without affecting other functions, and would it be OK'ed by the Fire Marshall among others....

So back to Disneyland itself.....

The Bank of Main Street used to process AP's, but it was moved due to the fact that it would create long lines and cause traffic flow problems, especially at closing, or during parade times.... Also, people had a hard time getting access to other functions other than getting an AP....

I think the cheapest option is the second floor of the Starcade, the area is sitting unused, you could build the booths along one wall, add a private office area in one corner for CM use, and still have a large amount of room for a queue.......

Drawbacks, would be hard to find, and could cause traffic flow issues trying to get to the moving ramp in the Starcade....

Anyways, just don't expect the AP center being moved to DCA......

olegc
05-24-2004, 06:48 PM
C'mon, Darkbeer, where's your sense of DLR Management 101? Logic has nothing to do with it, right? Imagine - it's a marketing opporunity to get people over to DCA who would not go in the first place...

You want an AP? Oh, that's at DCA - we'll let you in the door but you have to pay an additional $20 to get in - and all costs can go to your AP...

And existing APs? Send them to the Hollywood Food Court. It's where they go already...

Seriously - they process a lot of stuff today via the ticket booths - they can make this the "first stop" to making an AP. They can also make the Customer Service center (the "City Hall of DCA" accessible via outside gates - and just have one guard at the door....

Juts wait - how many times have you been dissapointed in the last 10 years. What's one more? (sorry - negative ranting today).

Darkbeer
05-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Well, thinking this out a bit further, I might know why the second level of the Starcade is closed.... wheelchair access...

There is no elevator for the second floor, and the ramps are not that wide, and kinda steep.....

So this August both the AP processing center and the Pin shop lose their homes... where to put them....

DCAWhites
05-24-2004, 07:30 PM
Seriously - they process a lot of stuff today via the ticket booths - they can make this the "first stop" to making an AP. They can also make the Customer Service center (the "City Hall of DCA" accessible via outside gates - and just have one guard at the door....

They already do take down ALL of your information when you buy the annual pass at the ticket booths. All they do at the processing center is grab the paper annual pass voucher, take your picture, and hand you an AP.

Polar33
05-24-2004, 07:42 PM
Well, thinking this out a bit further, I might know why the second level of the Starcade is closed.... wheelchair access...

There is no elevator for the second floor, and the ramps are not that wide, and kinda steep
Actually, before it was closed, wheelchair access to the Starcade's upper level was via the ramp that the Space Mountain queue uses, and then in through one of the side doors. It's was a bit out of the way, and a CM had to assist, but it was access none the less.

Darkbeer
05-24-2004, 07:48 PM
They already do take down ALL of your information when you buy the annual pass at the ticket booths. All they do at the processing center is grab the paper annual pass voucher, take your picture, and hand you an AP.
Remember that many folks decide to upgrade their ParkHopper or Single Day ticket to an AP, in which case, all the information has to be gathered at the processing center.

Also, some AP vouchers are bought online, or at the Disney Stores, or thru WDTC or AAA, all these vouchers need all the information to be gathered... the same for AP vouchers bought as gifts at the Main Entry Plaza booths.

I really like what they did at Universal Studios Hollywood, their new AP processing center has the following basic steps...

Enter the queue..

Wait until a open computer is available in the "blue area" (step 1)...

You sit down in front of a computer and keyboard, and scan your ticket... if it is a single day ticket, a screen pops up, and explains the different choices for the AP, and the additional cost to upgrade.

The guest makes his/her choice.

Then the guests types in all their own information, Name, address, phone number, DOB, e-mail address, etc.....

When all the information is completed, and checked over by the guests, the screen advise the person to go to the "Red" area...

In this area, the guest hands a CM their ticket, the CM scans it, and verifies the name of the person (as shown on the CM screen)... the CM collects any additional money needed, and takes a photo of the guest. The AP is printed out and is handed to the guest...

I like the fact that the guests types in their own info, a guest should be able to spell their own name and address, which should help eliminate mistakes.....

Ace
05-24-2004, 11:01 PM
I think they should put it in Tarzan's treehouse, personally.

TP2000
05-24-2004, 11:06 PM
Hmm... Plaza Pavilion, Hosted by Contadina will become "County Fair" with pin trading, ODV trash carts, and little children making cakes at Disneyland because Liberated Mommy is too busy to do that with them at home? How bizarre.

What doesn't shock me one bit is that one of the very few Cynthia-era TDA executives finally quits to join The Gap. Are they just running a shuttle service from TDA to the Gap offices in San Fransisco? It would save on moving expenses.

I am a bit surprise to hear of all of these plans about pin carts and such. I had thought that fad had gone the way of the Beanie Baby. I've only seen some real hardcore traders around the Park in the past year or so. Maybe I'm just missing the big "meets" that used to be everywhere though? I didn't think people were still into the "Pin Trading" thing. You never see CM's wearing lanyards anymore at least.

Which brings me back to how truly bizarre these rumored plans for the Plaza Pavilion seem to be.

FabShelly
05-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Hmm... Plaza Pavilion, Hosted by Contadina will become "County Fair" with pin trading, ODV trash carts, and little children making cakes at Disneyland because Liberated Mommy is too busy to do that with them at home? How bizarre.

What doesn't shock me one bit is that one of the very few Cynthia-era TDA executives finally quits to join The Gap. Are they just running a shuttle service from TDA to the Gap offices in San Fransisco? It would save on moving expenses.

I am a bit surprise to hear of all of these plans about pin carts and such. I had thought that fad had gone the way of the Beanie Baby. I've only seen some real hardcore traders around the Park in the past year or so. Maybe I'm just missing the big "meets" that used to be everywhere though? I didn't think people were still into the "Pin Trading" thing. You never see CM's wearing lanyards anymore at least.

Which brings me back to how truly bizarre these rumored plans for the Plaza Pavilion seem to be.

Liberated Mommy? (Speechless)

Fab

Explicit
05-29-2004, 11:23 AM
:crying: I was hoping it would return as a restaurant.

TP2000
05-29-2004, 01:29 PM
Liberated Mommy? (Speechless)

Fab

Yeah, that's what my Mom laughingly called herself in 1977 when she was a state delegate at the ERA Convention in Houston that year. The name has stuck with both of us to this day, and I still think it's pretty accurate.

Gemini Cricket
05-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Where ever they relocate the AP processing center it's going to have to be a pretty big area. Sunday there was a giant queue for AP processing. I mean really, really long.

What are they doing with the bank? I saw them processing something over there Sat & Sun. I wasn't sure if they were doing APs there or having it actually be a real bank again...