PDA

View Full Version : Another ride with too many exit signs

Pages : [1] 2

Cadaverous Pallor
05-24-2004, 11:00 AM
We rode Star Tours yesterday. No exit sign problems on the ride itself, but in the exit area you see quite a few of the exact same horrible green signs we knew from the Mansion.

I wouldn't say that they detract from the show horribly, but it is rather annoying, especially since they aren't themed at all, and once again there are TWO for every freakin' door, plus one every 6 FEET down the first part of the ramp. For God's sake, it's a RAMP, I know I'm supposed to go that way. :rolleyes:

The same day, we noticed some nicely themed ones on other rides, such as Jungle Cruise's queue. If only they put some effort in, themed them, made them less bright, and put only ONE to a doorway, I'd have no problem.

Any other new exit sign sightings?

stan4d_steph
05-24-2004, 11:24 AM
In the event of a fire, when you're crawling along the floor to avoid the smoke, you might appreciate the additional signs that are near the floor.

Not Afraid
05-24-2004, 11:26 AM
The best part of the evening was "trying" to get out of the right side Indy inload. Certain people were having a LOT of trouble exiting without the everpresent green glow of the Exit signs.

Somehow, we made it.

mamabot
05-24-2004, 11:41 AM
The green signs have invaded IASW too. We did notice one set of signs that were not lit. :eek: Yes, the signs were still visible. Maybe (hopefully) they are testing them out as ones tha come on in case of emergency. The other theory is that since they are so new they have yet to be turned on.

The stupidest placement in IASW is by far right next to the opening of the exit tunnel. I guess they would assume that light streaming from the outside world would not be enough of a clue to the tunnel exit. :rolleyes:

Quinten27
05-24-2004, 12:34 PM
I think there is some kind of new law in place, as we had a fire inspector come to our work and required us to place 6 additional EXIT signs around the work place, and they all had to be lit up all the time. I don't know if this is the same reason that Disney is doing it, but I beleive they wouldn't put in so many detracting EXIT signs unless they were required to, so maybe this is just out of Disney's control. I doubt the Fire Marshall would accept "but it doesn't look right" as an excuse for evading fire safety laws.

And if, god forbid, there was some kind of devasting fire or terrorist bomb attack, I'm sure you'd be happy to have the route to safety clearly marked, and not be worrying about how bad it looks. Lives saved are worth a little bad decorating choices..........just my opinion.

ununoctium
05-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Any bets?

Let's say there was a huge fire and the exit signs weren't there.

How many padders would come on here and say "I'd rather have BIG huge green exit signs, rather than burning up."

Sometimes I think people make everything a lose-lose situation when it comes to DLR.

Cadaverous Pallor
05-24-2004, 12:44 PM
You know, if everyone was required to wear helmets and padded, fire retardant clothing at all times, far fewer people would die on any given day.

Exit signs that turn on with emergency systems would cover this.

Veezer
05-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Don't look at the signs and just have fun...or stay home.

Not Afraid
05-24-2004, 12:58 PM
Hmmm. Not really possible not to look at them. You're in a darm room with low lighting except a big green clowing thing that says Exit. Not an option.

Stay home? No way!

mrs_toad
05-24-2004, 01:01 PM
Have you been on HM since they installed the EXIT signs? It's awfully hard, or nearly impossible, not to look at them. They are everywhere and in some of the most ridiculous places. :confused: IMHO, they ruined the attraction. If you haven't seen them, check them out. And then come back and tell us what you think.

Cadaverous Pallor
05-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Read EXIT > my post EXIT > but don't look EXIT > at the EXIT >exitEXIT > signs.

DigitalLizard
05-24-2004, 02:03 PM
In the event of a fire, when you're crawling along the floor to avoid the smoke, you might appreciate the additional signs that are near the floor.

That is kind of what I was thinking...
DLR is pretty safe, but then again... some people think
their houses are fire proof too! Look what happened
at the Playhouse last week at DCA!

Cadaverous Pallor
05-24-2004, 04:56 PM
In the event of a fire, when you're crawling along the floor to avoid the smoke, you might appreciate the additional signs that are near the floor.I am ok with an unlit sign at floor level, themed, that turns on in the event of an emergency.

Anthony
05-24-2004, 08:46 PM
If the green exit signs are that noticeable, it may be time to skip the attraction and check out an OCD support group.. I echo the thoughts that in the event of an emergency, those signs are going to look great. Chances are really good that they are there for fire code purposes, and they do not have a choice. I bet that the crowd at the Great White concert a while ago wishes they had such well-lit exits. I think the lesson here, may be to focus on the fun, and not get so intense on the other details.

sediment
05-24-2004, 08:57 PM
It sucks. Ruins the theming. Could use less intense light and have automatic and manual switches to adjust the light intensity. End of story.
I will try to get to the HM for a first-person review of this atrocity.
Anyone have low-light-level digital pics?

Bruce Bergman
05-24-2004, 09:02 PM
It sucks. Ruins the theming. Could use less intense light and have automatic and manual switches to adjust the light intensity. End of story.
I will try to get to the HM for a first-person review of this atrocity.
Anyone have low-light-level digital pics?

They put in a set (high and low) of the "Self-Illuminated" Tritium luminous EXIT signs in Pirates, in the "Now ye knows where the cursed treasure be hid" cave, right before the Fort Battle. Not overpowering at all.

But now that I've said this we'll get all the Anti-Nookular people going "Oh My God! It's RADIOACTIVE!!! Aaaaaaaahhhh!! :eek:

You just can't win for losing some days... :rolleyes:

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

tahnok100
05-24-2004, 10:40 PM
I just got back from the park earlier and I must say that I was very surprised! I couldn't believe after riding the Haunted Mansion that people are making such a big deal out of those signs. Yes, they were a bit distracting, but hardly worth the fuss that everybody is making over them.

BTW, the snake on indy is so funny looking just sitting there (I hadn't ridden since it had opened again)!

CoasterMatt
05-25-2004, 05:17 AM
Anybody wanna bet on the first lawsuit against Disney when some poor sap aboard a ride EXITs midride, gets hurt, and uses the excuse "I was just doing what the signs told me to"?

nursemelis374
05-25-2004, 07:15 AM
I am sorry, but I just don't think that they are that bad. However, that is one of my favorite things about reading this message board. . . everyone makes such a huge negative deal and exagerates about things that when I get there and see it for myself it seems small in comparison. It also worked on ToT, I thought it would suck and then I was pleasantly surprised!!!

Not Afraid
05-25-2004, 08:20 AM
I am sorry, but I just don't think that they are that bad. However, that is one of my favorite things about reading this message board. . . everyone makes such a huge negative deal and exagerates about things that when I get there and see it for myself it seems small in comparison.
We here at MP do all we can to provide the best public service to those who don't visit the park as much.;)

Yes, the Exit signs are bad. I don't get all that outrages about things happening at DL any more - and, in fact, I'm pretty darned positive. However, the signs in HM are SOOOOOO distracting from the show, the illusions and effects that they cause such unfortunate distraction as to really hurt the pleasure of the ride.

I bet Imagineers are rolloing over in the graves now that the Pepper's Ghost trick is revealed. :rolleyes:

iwannabeanimagineer
05-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Do you mean, in the event that the pyrotechnic effects are working? :~D

The green signs have invaded IASW too.
On IASW, I might just heed their advice and exit immediately.:~D

Again, based on my experience as an architect, I have seen life safety requirements, enforcement and compliance increase within a year after every loss of life in a building. Example: The MGM Grand fire in Las Vegas (80's? 90'?) was followed by revised exit codes for hotels, stricter enforcement and broader compliance. The First Interstate fire in downtown Los Angeles ('83? '84?), ditto fire spinkler codes for high-rises. Ditto similar issues following the Northridge earthquake and the nightclub fire in Connecticut and we could go on and on. Do you think this exit sign phenomenon is somehow linked to the fatal accident on Big Thunder last year?

tahnok100
05-25-2004, 10:39 AM
Anybody wanna bet on the first lawsuit against Disney when some poor sap aboard a ride EXITs midride, gets hurt, and uses the excuse "I was just doing what the signs told me to"?

Disney also tells you to waste ;) . Someone in my group pointed out that the garbage cans say "Waste Please".

mamabot
05-25-2004, 11:00 AM
Disney also tells you to waste ;) . Someone in my group pointed out that the garbage cans say "Waste Please".

My husband loves this motto.

mad4mky
05-25-2004, 02:21 PM
My three girls and I went to DLR this past weekend.
We flew down from the SF Bay Area...to enjoy 3 days of fun at the park.

But, on the Haunted Mansion, I only noticed the signs...because a group of folks, who go to DLR almost every week have complained about the signs.

I honestly don't know if I would have noticed them or not had I not read about the complaints here on MP.

But, I did make a point not to mention them to my 20 year old daughter before we went on the ride.
After our first Haunted Mansion ride of our trip, I asked her..."Did you notice anything annoying in the ride?" She said 'no...why?'
I said "Nothing was glaring at you? Distracting you? Bothering your enjoyment of the ride or themeing? "
Again...she said "No." And then said..."Why? What are people on MP complaining about now?" :eek:

I told her about the Exit signs.

She never noticed them. I have to wonder, if...going to DLR every week or so tends to make one nit-pick everything in the park.

My daugheter then started joking what would be on the board this week..." OMG...a flower died at the Hub today. Quick...call the flower paramedic squad!! ".
She has a point.

But...then again....She complained about the Teacups and how you can't turn the wheel now. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) And, she wasn't happy about that...

So...go figure. I have no advice...only my observations of the weekend at the park. I probably won't go to the park again until late, late summer or early fall. By then, there will be another complaint for me to check out. :rolleyes: ;)

Cadaverous Pallor
05-25-2004, 04:51 PM
But, on the Haunted Mansion, I only noticed the signs...because a group of folks, who go to DLR almost every week have complained about the signs.
<snip>
She never noticed them. I have to wonder, if...going to DLR every week or so tends to make one nit-pick everything in the park. M4M, I am sorry from the bottom of my heart. My deepest apologies to you and your family. :crying:

I never meant for my posts here to affect anyone else's experiences. I was only stating my own experience. When I heard about the exit signs I was fully skeptical - "They couldn't be that bad" - but I rode the Mansion and was shocked at how terrible it was. From what people are saying, they had a different experience. Perhaps they have toned it down - I am going to ride it again and attempt to get pictures this time (no flash).