PDA

View Full Version : What's with the Matterhorn?

Grumpy4
05-24-2004, 09:37 AM
I may have missed this somewhere along the way, but anyone know why the Matterhorn is going down for 2 months? I thought they just had a huge overhaul last year when it was closed for so long. I remember rumors of putting in FastPass for the mountain. Is that maybe what they're doing? If anyone's got ideas, lets chat about it.

sediment
05-24-2004, 09:42 AM
They're going to tighten them up, so they don't spin as fast.

Wanda Woman
05-24-2004, 09:45 AM
And put in brighter EXIT signs (I'm sure the Snowman will now be forced to hold an EXIT sign :~D ).

How about adding some loading gates?

:D

innerSpaceman
05-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Air gates are part of this refurb, hence the added two weeks or so to the annual refurb that is always around six weeks each and every year (grrr - during the time of year when a bobsled ride down a snowy peak is most appropriate).

CoasterMatt
05-24-2004, 10:49 AM
There goes the stellar ride capacity - all because people can't take responsibility for their own stupidity...

DigitalLizard
05-24-2004, 02:07 PM
I may have missed this somewhere along the way, but anyone know why the Matterhorn is going down for 2 months? I thought they just had a huge overhaul last year when it was closed for so long. I remember rumors of putting in FastPass for the mountain. Is that maybe what they're doing? If anyone's got ideas, lets chat about it.

A CM told me, when we asked where the FP machines were, that they
had them, but then they ended up taking them out because the line
to get the FP was just as long as the stand by que.

Haven't heard anything of why it might be down again!

DCAWhites
05-24-2004, 02:33 PM
They're also repaving the area from where the tomorrowland paving project leaves off (over near the monorail station) to small world mall. I think its going to be patterned brick pavers, although textured concrete like that found in fronteir land and bugs land is also a possibility (a lower maintanance cost than bricks or asphalt). They can do pretty much anything with concrete now (color, texture), like the bricks in pacific wharf.

splashmtngurl
05-24-2004, 03:03 PM
hmmmmmmmm i just heard that they were planning to do a lil cleaning session and possible add a few more little special effects if possible, of course fast pass for the mountain would be sorta nice, considering that it almost always has a large line.............

bobsledbob
05-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Matterhorn Rehab: getting station gates with a gates console. The queue will be widened to accomodiate wheelchairs(not sure about this though, but i hope it happens). Handrails over BZA10. (this is the side by Tomorrowland and is the part of the track going over the B side pond. Hope this is a rumor because it will look pretty stupid coming down A side and seeing handrails wiz past you and it will look out of place.) And, I believe, some new exac routes. There will probably be some other things done but that's the major things.

As pointed out, with the station gates, the capacity will go down the tubes because people just can't figure out what a number is or know how to sit and just plain dumb.

sleepyjeff
05-24-2004, 07:07 PM
I wish they would punch a couple holes in the side, and have some sort of personal conveyance device go thru it ;)

CoasterMatt
05-24-2004, 07:08 PM
For the people that claim that Matterhorn should have Fastpass because it has "a long line" - Do you realize how short of a wait time a line that extends to the backside of the mountain is? Even with a line that long, you can still be on the ride inside of an hour... Fastpass would just be STUPID for Matterhorn.

MonorailMan
05-24-2004, 07:36 PM
Matterhorn Rehab: getting station gates with a gates console. The queue will be widened to accomodiate wheelchairs(not sure about this though, but i hope it happens). Handrails over BZA10. (this is the side by Tomorrowland and is the part of the track going over the B side pond. Hope this is a rumor because it will look pretty stupid coming down A side and seeing handrails wiz past you and it will look out of place.) And, I believe, some new exac routes. There will probably be some other things done but that's the major things.
Disney quickly realized that there's one other addition that will make the Matterhorn more spooky...

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/Hastin-exitsm.jpg

:rolleyes: :~D

DisneyFan25863
05-24-2004, 08:28 PM
A CM told me, when we asked where the FP machines were, that they
had them, but then they ended up taking them out because the line
to get the FP was just as long as the stand by que.

Haven't heard anything of why it might be down again!

Not true.

There have NEVER been fastpass machines for the Matterhorn. The reason I have been told (by more than one source, including a MP Staff Member), is that the closest network port for FastPass is over by it's a small world, and that laying the wire would need to include tearing up all that pathway, which is impractial for an attraction which dosn't really need it.

HorizonsA
05-27-2004, 10:41 AM
For the people that claim that Matterhorn should have Fastpass because it has "a long line" - Do you realize how short of a wait time a line that extends to the backside of the mountain is? Even with a line that long, you can still be on the ride inside of an hour... Fastpass would just be STUPID for Matterhorn.

You're exactly right. If the line goes all the way back, it usually takes 30 min tops to get to the station. Besides, waiting in line for Matterhorn is fun. I love watching bobsleds go by and hearing the occasional roar of the Abominable Snowman and hearing screams from riders. It builds up your excitment for the ride.

I think they should have Fastpasses only during Christmas and New Years, because that's when the line gets really long.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-27-2004, 11:27 AM
We got in line clear at the back of the mountain, where the 2 lines meet, it said 35 mins and we were on the ride heading in to the mountain in 20 mins. I see no real need for Fastpass and I think it would take a lot of work to even be able to add it.

Ghoulish Delight
05-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Not true.

There have NEVER been fastpass machines for the Matterhorn. They seemed to be toying with the idea last year. When it came off an extended re-hab, they had re-routed the line so that instead of hugging the mountain, there were switchbacks that took you straight out from the turnstyles (towards the motor boat dock/Fantasia Gardens). It looked like they were testing a new queue config. for Fastpass. Which made no sense to me, becuse the Matterhorn, as it is, already has the perfect FP queue set up. Just use one queue for FP, the other for Standby, merge at the turnstyles and let people choose which side to ride. Already on slow days when the line isn't too long, they only run one line and let people choose their side. It would be simple to adapt it for Fastpass.

BUT, people are right. It's so not in need of it. It's probably the fastes moving queue in the park (we'll see how the air gates affect that). It's rare that the wait gets over an hour. If it's wrapping all the way around the mountain, it's an hour. And the visual of that scares a lot of people off, so it usually doesn't grow much longer than that.

Cadaverous Pallor
05-27-2004, 02:30 PM
As pointed out, with the station gates, the capacity will go down the tubes because people just can't figure out what a number is or know how to sit and just plain dumb. :confused: I have no idea what you just said.

Why would airgates change the capacity? There are already numbered lines the CMs direct you to. It wouldn't change procedure at all.

Grumpy4
05-27-2004, 04:54 PM
I agree that there should be no Fastpasses. The line goes so quick. I was just checking to see if the Dopeys in charge thought it would be a great thing! I hope it's just the gates.