PDA

View Full Version : Day trip to DL in October

ken77
05-24-2004, 08:13 AM
I will be on vacation in San Diego from 10/8 to 10/15 staying in La Jolla near I-5. I am planning a day trip up to DL. The 3 deciding factors seem to be the drive on I-5, the park hours and the crowds. I would like to be there at park opening and stay until closing. Which day would be best...

Sun 10/10 PRO...reduced weekend traffic on I-5, longer park hours. CONS...big crowds, right in the middle of the holiday weekend.

Mon 10/11(Columbus Day) PRO...reduced commuter traffic on I-5, longer park hours(?) CONS....large crowds on holiday

Tue 10/12 PRO...smaller crowds CON...weekday commuter traffic. Shorter park hours.

I am leaning towards Monday, but would appreciate any advice including what I am in store for with the drive on I-5.

Thanks,

Ken

Zigen
05-24-2004, 08:37 AM
The 5 north of la jolla in san diego isnt too bad on weekdays. Once you get into orange county, then it becomes bad. They have a carpool lane from OC to DLR, if you have someone with you. If not, you might want to consider 2 options taking AM trak or leaving early(6ish) in the morning(you can get breakfast near disneyland)... The nearest am trak station is at solana beach about 5-8 miles away from la jolla. It costs about 20 bucks per person if you decide that route. You will have to take a bus or taxi to DLR at the anaheim station tho and ice vera. Some good info for the train is at mousesavers.com.

ken77
05-24-2004, 09:23 AM
One other thing...

Maybe I should not have assumed it, but are California schools in session on Columbus Day??

ken77
05-25-2004, 05:15 AM
* bump *

Somebody out there must have some advice for me regarding this post.

Thanks!

Pedro2NR
05-25-2004, 07:33 AM
Some schools have it off.

aztectodd
05-25-2004, 07:37 AM
Being a San Diego native I would definitely go on the Sunday. The drive isn't that great on the weekdays, and the extended park hours are a plus. My girlfriend and I always go on Sundays when we go and the crowds are never so bad that you cant do what you want to do. Learn the fastpass system and the In's and Out's of it and it will make your day quite a bit easier. Just my suggestion.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
05-25-2004, 01:24 PM
I would go on tuesday. We have found Tuesdays to be the slowest days of the week (at least from my family's experience). I have a picture from last October of the kids standing next to the rope, almost no one around, ten minutes before park opening. Sunday would be my second choice, get there early, hit some big rides in the first couple of hours, grab your fastpasses and then take it easy the rest of the day

ken77
05-26-2004, 05:07 AM
Thanks to those who replied. Your help is appreciated!!!