PDA

View Full Version : Bags on Rides?

PunjabiMouse
05-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Are small backpacks allowed on rides? How about camera bags? or even the waist pouch?

donatello3000
05-23-2004, 10:53 PM
yes, however, they are not responsible for items that may have fallen out during the ride... few rides have places for storing your belongings onboard :)

adriennek
05-24-2004, 10:26 AM
few rides have places for storing your belongings onboard :)

but most don't need them, you can just hold them on your lap or at your feet.

Adrienne

Niwel
05-24-2004, 10:59 AM
but most don't need them, you can just hold them on your lap or at your feet.

This works almost always -- but be careful on Indiana Jones. I went a few years ago during a break from MouseAdventure and my backpack didn't fit in the seat pocket. I thought my legs had a good grasp on it until we made a quick turn. If it wasn't for a fellow padder, my stuff would have flown out of the car.

It is usually only a problem on the faster attractions.

The most difficult might be California Screamin'. Make sure you have a good grip on whatever bag you have with you -- and that it is totally closed or you will lose things when it goes upside down.

datoadz
05-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Last time I went on Screamin' there was a Cheet-o on the diamond plate "hump" in the middle of our car. It was still there when we got off the ride. I didn't check to see if it was stuck or not.

millionairegirl
05-24-2004, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't want to try it, but I don't think anything would actually fall out of the purse on the Screamin' loop. I usually wrap my purse strap around my foot, but I don't think it ever fell at all, even a tiny bit. The loop is pretty fast, and the force pushes you (and your things) into the seat (or floor) of the car. I always wear my sunglasses on this ride (to protect my contacts) and they've never fallen off either.

I've never had a problem with bags falling out of rides. I either wrap it around my foot or use the storage bags. Except on splash where I set it on the seat in front of me (the floor of the log is icky!) One recommendation is to use the free lockers near Grizzly River Run. The ride is a lot more fun when you don't have to worry about your bag getting soaked.

Cadaverous Pallor
05-24-2004, 12:50 PM
Back in my Magic Mountain days I learned that if I just put the straps of my backpack around my legs I never had to worry about them falling out, even on the fastest, most turbulent rides. Screamin' is not a problem.

This is less true for TOT, however, since the bag will fly up into your face! In order to keep that under control, I squeeze the bag between my legs. Or, I just have fun with it. Hold onto the straps and watch you bag float upwards on the drops. :D

RickW
05-24-2004, 01:10 PM
After a decade long absence from the parks, upon my return several years ago one of my biggest surprises was all the stuff that people lug around with them now. I don't know if management's increased emphasis on retailing contributed to this, but it's obvious that the ride operators had to adapt to the change in people's habits in this regard. I'm still surprised at the amount of bags, etc. that people bring on the rides.

Biscuit
05-24-2004, 02:13 PM
After a decade long absence from the parks, upon my return several years ago one of my biggest surprises was all the stuff that people lug around with them now. I don't know if management's increased emphasis on retailing contributed to this, but it's obvious that the ride operators had to adapt to the change in people's habits in this regard. I'm still surprised at the amount of bags, etc. that people bring on the rides.

From a tourist's perspective, I took a backpack coz I wanted to be prepared...sweater, sunscreen, water bottle, camera, extra film, mini first aid, maps etc

I found most rides pretty flexible. In Soarin', the CM seating us let me leave the bag on the floor (coz I was nervous as it was my very first DL ride EVER, and I was fiddling with straps etc ;) ). Most rides I just tucked it between my legs, or legs through loops.

sjcivilady
05-24-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm usually one to bring as much as possible when I go places - but when going to Disneyland, I don't even carry bottled water anymore - the lighter the better. I have a light-weight purse with a long shoulder strap so it goes across my torso - I can just ride with it still on.
I recommend a visor (if you like to wear one) that has a velcro closure - you can easily undo it and secure it around your purse strap - it will blow off your head on many rides.
We rented a locker a couple of our 5 days last time - you pay one price for the whole day, so you can get into it as often as you want. We try to do shopping those days, so can stow stuff in the locker. Hope that helps.
Sounds like it's your first time - it will make your trip a lot better, if you don't have a lot of stuff to carry around. A waist pack is excellent, but I like something a little bigger, to put small souvenirs and little snacks in. Have fun!

splashmtngurl
05-24-2004, 03:21 PM
well and the thing is is that if you have special things such as pictures, books, or things that could be ruined by different attractions (think water)or if you have alot of stuff you should look into getting a locker, checking stuff in at the newspaper stand located at the front of DL or going back to your hotel to drop things off..........like it was mentioned before, the lighter the better

tink1234
05-25-2004, 07:45 AM
This year all I am taking into the park is a fanny pack. Not the most attractive thing, of course, and it does scream TOURIST, but I don't care. I have a baby that will be 1 when we go, so I have to have diapers and wipes. We are staying on property so we can run back and forth as needed and our purchases can be sent to our rooms. I know not everyone has that luxury.

My fanny pack will include 2-3 diapers, ziploc baggie of wipes, cash, cards, pass, etc. and a small snack or two. I also will take a bottle of water which I probably will leave in the stroller when I am on rides. My dc will each carry a fanny pack as well, with snacks, ID card, wipes and small amount of money. Any sweaters can be tied around the waist tourist style.

Last time we went I had a huge backpack and became the trashcan-keeper-of-things-dumping-ground for EVERYONE. I will not have space this time and everyone will have their own packs. These should not cause a problem in and on rides.