PDA

View Full Version : Tiki Room & Plaza Pavilion?

Mickeyslittlehelper
05-23-2004, 07:59 AM
Over at Disney Forever....
"Also, the Plaza Pavilion will also be receiving a huge refurbishment for the same amount of time (as the Tiki Room)! All I have to say is, “Interesting…”"

Do you think a surprise could be in the making?

DefyingGravity
05-23-2004, 11:44 AM
I think a surprise is definitely possible (and is much needed), due to the fact that it'd going to be down for almost nine months. Maybe it could be a "celebration center", where they would be giving out prizes and other cool stuff. Anybody know what they could be doing if it was really only a rehab? (The plaza pavillion is a restaurant, correct?)

DisneyFan25863
05-23-2004, 02:51 PM
(The plaza pavillion is a restaurant, correct?)
It was. Now its the AP Processing Center.

Not Afraid
05-24-2004, 08:05 AM
I vote for a return of a restaurant in the Plaza Pavillion.

dude
05-24-2004, 09:46 AM
I vote for bringing the tahitian terrace back.

CoasterMatt
05-24-2004, 10:50 AM
I vote for edible food WITHIN the berm of Disneyland :)

millionairegirl
05-24-2004, 10:55 AM
I vote for some sort of themed sit down restaurant inside the Plaza Pavillion (i.e. not another turn of the century buffeteria). Something akin to Tony's Town Square Restaurant from Lady and the Tramp at the MK in Florida. Hopefully not a direct copy, but something similar.

I really don't remember what the food was like in the Plaza Pavillion. Was it any different than the food at The Plaza Inn? I do remember their dessert selection was better.

merlinjones
05-24-2004, 11:28 AM
WDW has Tony's Italian Restauant from Lady & the Tramp in the Pavillion location...

(added - - oops, you just said that!)

Opus1guy
05-24-2004, 11:31 AM
I really don't remember what the food was like in the Plaza Pavillion. Was it any different than the food at The Plaza Inn?

Plaza Inn used to be sorta the "upscale" place. Fancier entrées.

Plaza Pavilion used to be more "home-spun" cooking. Fried Chicken. Chicken and Dumplings. Meatloaf. That sorta stuff.

Nowadays the Inn is dishin' up the KFC.

I remember not too many years ago, visiting the Disneyland Facilities Office and seeing plans for a Chinese restaurant at Pavilion! I wasn't too sure if I liked that idea in such a victorian building. Guess that one ended up in a file somewhere.

I would love to see the Tahitian Terrace come back. Would be good timing right now if they got off their duffs and moved things along. Tiki culture is really "in" again. Polynesian Ribs. Ummmmmmmm. Hula Girls. Ummmmmmmmmmmm.

LSPoorEeyorick
05-24-2004, 11:34 AM
I remember not too many years ago, visiting the Disneyland Facilities Office and seeing plans for a Chinese restaurant at Pavilion!

Any resemblance to the one with the talking Buddha?

Not Afraid
05-24-2004, 11:37 AM
My husband would like the Hula Girls to return.

He tells me this almost weekly.

Opus1guy
05-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Any resemblance to the one with the talking Buddha?

Don't remember anything like that. I do recall something like that being considered back in the early design stage of Disneyland, but at a different location and different talking head.

These plans I saw had a fictional history back-story of a family of Chinese immigrants arriving to "town" and settling down on Main Street...taking over the Pavilion and opening up their Chinese restaurant. There were going to be references to various family members all over the place and on the menu.

But no talking Buddha or Confucius or any other AA that I recall seeing.

With 6, you get FastPass! ;)

cstephens
05-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Plaza Pavilion used to be more "home-spun" cooking. Fried Chicken. Chicken and Dumplings. Meatloaf. That sorta stuff.

Plaza Pavilion had the pasta choices when I was eating there a lot. When they closed the restaurant, they moved the pasta to Plaza Inn - the only thing they took away was, of course, my favorite sauce. :rolleyes: