PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy in the Sky Returns! Believe Retired!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Disneyfreak
05-22-2004, 05:30 PM
http://disneyforever.com/disneyland/5_22_04/index.htm

This is really interesting. Make sure you are not eating while you read this or you might just choke. :~D

Cloud Buster
05-22-2004, 10:51 PM
Sorry to hear this. I was a little suspicious about this when I looked at the schedule for Believe! today and say it was blank for the entire summer (after May). I hope whatever they cook up for the 50th is uber-cool.

I had the pleasure of watching Believe! from the closest point (a spot backstage) anyone can be (other than fire / pyro crew) to watch the pyro. It was spectacular, and I was so close that there were times I was looking straight up to see the fireworks, only to then watch as fallout slowly fell to the Earth in my direction!

Alpha1mom
05-23-2004, 05:45 AM
Uh, not to sound dumb, but what is the difference between "Believe"
and "Fantasy in the sky" ??? Both are firework shows, right?

DisneyFan25863
05-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Uh, not to sound dumb, but what is the difference between "Believe"
and "Fantasy in the sky" ??? Both are firework shows, right?

Yes, but different music, fireworks, etc.

GloryBlaze
05-23-2004, 09:43 AM
I'm a bit confused - So they're trashing this beautiful fireworks show in favor of Fantasy In The Sky because Fantasy is smaller and less noisy to the neighbors, so the neighbors will stop complaining to Disneyland ... but then the 50th show opens and they're allowed to complain again? I don't get the reasoning. Somone please explain.

zapppop
05-23-2004, 09:50 AM
About as believable as that tribute to Marcelo Torres @ Big Thunder. :|

Germboy
05-23-2004, 10:44 AM
I know I'll be in the minority on this one, but even if it's not true, that's the best news I've heard in a long time.

I'm not sure what's up with the schedule on the DLR website regarding fireworks. We went to the park last week when both the website and the phone message didn't say anything about fireworks. When we got there, the lady at the turnstiles said they WERE having them (and they did).

Last night, we planned to go to DTD to see a movie. We decided not to go into the park because there were no fireworks planned. On my way over to pick up a friend of mine who lives in Anaheim, he told me he could see fireworks going off!

Maybe they are testing new launchers?

Ghoulish Delight
05-23-2004, 11:18 AM
I'm a bit confused - So they're trashing this beautiful fireworks show in favor of Fantasy In The Sky because Fantasy is smaller and less noisy to the neighbors, so the neighbors will stop complaining to Disneyland ... but then the 50th show opens and they're allowed to complain again? I don't get the reasoning. Somone please explain.IF it's true, then the reasoning would be to placate the neighboors for a while, saving up some goodwill so that they'll be less pissed off when the 50th 'works start.

I'm with Zapppop, though. This sounds highly suspect.

Disney Vault
05-23-2004, 12:16 PM
didnt these ppl know what they were getting into when they moved in next to DL?

Cloud Buster
05-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Last night, we planned to go to DTD to see a movie. We decided not to go into the park because there were no fireworks planned. On my way over to pick up a friend of mine who lives in Anaheim, he told me he could see fireworks going off!

Maybe they are testing new launchers?

No, I can tell you with absolute certainty that last night's fireworks were a planned event. They've been on the pyro schedule for months. Furthermore, things were very routine backstage -- unlike last week when, as I understand it, the launcher testing was going on.

As to whatever the DL website says....well, they have to communicate with a lot of different departments that are hard to get a hold of, it's possible they made some assumptions based on last year's schedule.

Germboy
05-23-2004, 03:20 PM
That's strange. Normally fireworks don't start until May 28th, the beginning of Memorial Day Weekend.

Mouseplanet even announced that there would be a special performance on the 19th if anyone wanted to catch it, and then found out that the park closed early that night. I planned to go that night and watch them from Ball just because I figured they probably wouldn't start for a few more weeks.

The website and the telephone information line using last year's info? NAH, they wouldn't do THAT! ;) :)

Kevy Baby
05-23-2004, 04:46 PM
About as believable as that tribute to Marcelo Torres @ Big Thunder. :|Actually, there are a lot of rumours that they are planning a Marcelo tribute (as well as the folks who perished in the Columbia dock incident) in the 50th show. ;)

If there is any possible truth in the FITS switch, possibly another reason is that the 50th show isn't much better than the Believe show, so to make it appear better, they are retrograding to a weaker show. Gives the perception of improvement.
That's strange. Normally fireworks don't start until May 28th, the beginning of Memorial Day Weekend. There have been B:TMITS shows the past two Fridays (5/14 & 5/21).

GoldenEars
05-23-2004, 05:41 PM
I know I will NOT be in the norm here, but I have to say it anyway. As much as I love(d) Believe...There's Magic In The Stars, I am so excited to know they're bringing back (hopefully it's true) Fantasy In The Sky!! This is the firework show I remember the most and has the best memories for me! It was simple, yet impressive. And the music they chose was top-notch! If this rumor is becomes true, I'll be in heaven! :)

Besides, why bother having Believe if the castle is going to be all under construction and under tarps. They won't be able to use it for most of the Believe show anyway. And if I remember correctly, Fantasy In The Sky was all up in the air with no show below or near the castle. So it makes sense to not have Believe going.

And hey, Fantasy In The Sky would only be for the summer season and then we'll get the NEW show for the 50th. But like I said, I'm probably NOT in the norm with this one, but I'm sure happy about it!

Patrick :D

cryan71
05-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Wait! Isn't it the first rule of the pad is that everything old is good; anything new is bad? We should be rejoicing for the return of Fantasy in the Sky!

Pirate Girl
05-23-2004, 07:06 PM
Since Fantasy in the Sky is half the length of Believe (Or am I off my rocker here?) it probably has more to do with money than anything. Doesn't it cost they several thousand dollars each night for Believe? Also, returning to a shorter and less impressive show for a year will make whatever they have planned for the 50th look bigger and better than it would if they kept showing Believe.

Polar33
05-23-2004, 07:59 PM
I absolutely love Believe... and would hate to see it go, especially if it went away without a proper send off. But, when Fantasy was played during the NYE fireworks the past few years, that brought a smile as well. That nostalgia factor I guess. So either way, I'll be watching fireworks and enjoying them.

Well...if I get to see them now that Scheduling seems to be interpreting my "wants to work night shifts" preference as permission to schedule me to start before the crack of dawn. :rolleyes:

Germboy
05-24-2004, 03:15 AM
There have been B:TMITS shows the past two Fridays (5/14 & 5/21).

Probably so. Neither one announced, as far as I know. May 14th was my birthday and I would have wanted nothing more than to end the evening with fireworks. After checking the website, I knew nothing about them.

I wonder why the season has started early. More importantly: why wasn't it announced?

Germboy
05-24-2004, 03:19 AM
I know I will NOT be in the norm here, but I have to say it anyway. As much as I love(d) Believe...There's Magic In The Stars, I am so excited to know they're bringing back (hopefully it's true) Fantasy In The Sky!! This is the firework show I remember the most and has the best memories for me! It was simple, yet impressive. And the music they chose was top-notch! If this rumor is becomes true, I'll be in heaven! :)

I agree! I would love to see Fantasy In The Sky timed to the music...oh, especially if they brought back Jack Wagner's introductions!

Germboy
05-24-2004, 03:41 AM
Wait! Isn't it the first rule of the pad is that everything old is good; anything new is bad? We should be rejoicing for the return of Fantasy in the Sky!

I LOVE the Rocket Rod tracks, the empty submarine lagoon, the lack of a professional park-wide announcer, the coffin-like parking structure, the nauseating fumes of the trams, the FANTASTIC maintenance of the rides and their emphasis on safety...blah blah blah...but even moreso, THE GREAT PLANS FOR THE 50TH!!! YAY!!!!

I LOVE the educational value of Buzz Lightyear!! Makes the future so much more interesting to ME!

Gee, I wonder how many people actually GO to Innoventions (compared to America Sings, that is). And, overall, I wonder what message Tomorrowland has to send about the bright future that Walt Disney envisioned giving to his guests. Obviously, we've learned from Michael Eisner that innovative transportation is NOT part of the future, despite what Walt Disney believed.

Let's take a journey to Mars, I mean...a pizza joint! And when you exit, you can trip over some holes in the ground surrounded by planters, that USED TO BE an interactive fountain.

You know, they REALLY need to remodel POC and HM and Matterhorn and IASW like they did the REST of the park. They seem to know what they're doing more than those WED people.

OK...that was meant to be as sarcastic as the post itself.

And trust me, CRYAN, not everyone on Mousepad believes that the old park is worth saving.

Germboy
05-24-2004, 03:49 AM
Doesn't it cost they several thousand dollars each night for Believe?

By what I've been told, the price ranges A LOT depending on the firework. According to what I've been told, the average is $750 for a regular exploding shell to $1,000 plus for the large exploding shells. Can you imagine? That's like throwing big screen TVs up in the air and destroying them--for each boom! I'm sure DL gets a discount though (even though their supplier wouldn't tell me the cost! :mad:

Germboy
05-24-2004, 03:54 AM
But, when Fantasy was played during the NYE fireworks the past few years, that brought a smile as well. That nostalgia factor I guess.

How right you are. I was back by IASW during NYE for the last two years, and you should have SEEN the crowd come alive when they played FITS.

EVERYONE seemed to want to hear classic Disney music, at Disneyland, on NYE. I have both years on video, and marvel every time I see them, at how the crowd responded when they heard the old soundtrack.

Towards the end, they mixed in Zip A Dee Doo Dah from Tokyo's FITS. What a great finale for the New Year!

DigitalLizard
05-24-2004, 06:51 AM
didnt these ppl know what they were getting into when they moved in next to DL?

Yeah, that is a huge DUH! Like people that live at the end of the
Air Force runway here are complaining of the noise... uh, the
air base was here BEFORE your house was built... think about it?!?!?!

:fez:

olegc
05-24-2004, 08:33 AM
Latest Disney magazine had a "You picked your favorites" and supposedly the survey results showed that Believe was THIRD favorite, behind Disney's electrical parade and Fantasmimc as favorite night time events/shows at DLR.

I think Believe is so wonderful to watch and the music is so great - it makes all of the difference... It's not old versus new you should worry about - it's keeping things around that have lots of magic. So far - saving money has overruled magic everytime at DLR in the past 11 years.

And, as the plans for the 50th show, even Cast Member Matt does not have complete control to get things back on track....

tangaroa
05-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Latest Disney magazine had a "You picked your favorites" and supposedly the survey results showed that Believe was THIRD favorite...

Corrct me if I'm wrong - but along with Believe, Fantasmic and the MSEP - what other night time shows are there? If Believe was third, wouldn't that make it the least liked night time show?

Cadaverous Pallor
05-24-2004, 11:05 AM
BWAHAHAHAHA!

Rumors, we get rumors, we get tons and tons of rumors.....RUMORS!!!!

:p