PDA

View Full Version : DCA: They whacked the trees again in the Amphitheater

Darkbeer
05-21-2004, 10:17 PM
UGH!!!!!!

First off, some background, last year, during the X-Games, the trees were full, and help provide shade to those watch the HalfPipe show on the stage...

But then came the ABC Preview weekend, and a decision was made to cut off ALL the branchs, and just leave the full trunk (to help allow better viewing from the back).... It was ugly, but the trees were starting to come back...

Here is a photo from May 2nd, 2004....

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/116777/8/4180367/Large (http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/116777/8/4180367/Large)

But, something happened, and here is a photo from May 16th....

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/119800/7/4414737/Large (http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/119800/7/4414737/Large)

Once again, back to stumps... and WHY??? As far as I understand, there are no plans to set up the stage this summer.... so now we have an ugly area with no shade, for NO reason.....

Cloud Buster
05-21-2004, 11:08 PM
That looks horrible. Can't imagine why they'd want to do that.

Bruce Bergman
05-21-2004, 11:18 PM
Are they TRYING to kill those poor trees? :confused: I'm not an Arborist, and even I know better than to prune that deeply, and especially not this late in the spring when they wont have a chance to recover.

They ripped those poor trees lungs and mouths off - they can't photosynthesize their lunch or transpirate without leaves... :crying:

Print those two pictures out and go ask for an explanation. I'd love to hear how they try to explain that one away.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

GoldenEars
05-22-2004, 12:42 AM
OK, I didn't realize how pathetic this actually was. When I was looking at the first picture I thought THAT was the one DarkBeer was speaking about. The trees looked pretty bad and such a sorry eye-sore.

Then I realized that wasn't the pic he was referring to. So to my shock, I finally saw the pic DarkBeer was upset about. My first question would be...why even have trees there if they're gonna look like that??? Why not just take them out and put up some sort of shade guard? (sigh)

Oh well... :(

Tigertail777
05-22-2004, 12:58 AM
wow... those are not trees they are giant toothpicks. Man thats really bad... I think they need a new gardener.

Not Afraid
05-22-2004, 06:57 AM
I think they're just trying to recreate the Desert part of California.......perhaps Death Vallwy?

Mommy2NicknMax
05-22-2004, 07:06 AM
Oh that just looks so sad. I wonder why they'd do that?

KeithOfTerror
05-22-2004, 07:17 AM
All part of the grand council of debeautification. :mad:

NirvanaMan
05-22-2004, 08:35 AM
That looks awful. One would think there has to be some sort of reason that we are perhaps not privy to.

mrs_toad
05-22-2004, 09:06 AM
What is wrong with these people? They seem to be very anti-shade at DCA. When I was there last week on a day with the temps in the low 80s, it was really hot. I can't imagine how the days in the much hotter summer feel. This is just plain ugly and wrong! :mad:

stan4d_steph
05-22-2004, 10:03 AM
We had those types of trees in an apartment complex where I lived in Newport Beach. They did the exact same thing to them every year. It must be common practice with this type of tree.

Darkbeer
05-22-2004, 10:08 AM
We had those types of trees in an apartment complex where I lived in Newport Beach. They did the exact same thing to them every year. It must be common practice with this type of tree.
Then whoever picked those types of trees made a very bad choice, as I have never seen trees treated like that elsewhere at Disneyland!...

Trees are placed in the park for decoration, and to help provide shade...

These trees do neither, and if this is the correct way of trimming these trees, they should never have been placed in the park in the first place!

Cloud Buster
05-22-2004, 10:15 AM
In DCA, they picked out plantlife that would match the part of California they were trying to create. I don't know what kinds of trees these are or what they represent, but there is probably a reason behind it. (Don't get me wrong, I still think it looks awful).

For example, the plants alongside the road between Condor Flats and GCH. The plants nearest to GCH are Northern Californian plants, those closest to Condor Flats are desert plants, and the ones in the middle are hybrids between the two created at DLR by the horticulture dept, to help make the transition in show between the two environments.

disNeytEen
05-22-2004, 10:53 AM
I love DCA but how are they suppose to grow in support if there trees look like

wow... those are not trees they are giant toothpicks. How can a disney exec. walk into DCA and say "well im glad that they pruned those tress or we would be in a heck of a lot of trouble right now." Honsetly wake up and smell the roses (if there not already pruned).

tod
05-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Seriously, can anybody explain to me what possible earthly purpose there was for hacking those trees like that?

Maybe there's a reason I'm missing here.

--t
confused

MMFan
05-22-2004, 03:18 PM
How can a disney exec. walk into DCA and say "well im glad that they pruned those tress or we would be in a heck of a lot of trouble right now."

Probably the same exec who walks into DCA & says "hey, I love this park!" :D

Cadaverous Pallor
05-22-2004, 04:37 PM
We had those types of trees in an apartment complex where I lived in Newport Beach. They did the exact same thing to them every year. It must be common practice with this type of tree.I've seen similar "pruning" elsewhere. A job I worked at did the same thing to their trees, and I was horrified. I can't believe it's standard practice. The shade issue is definitely a concern. Plus, Bruce has it right - it's impossible for these trees to eat and breathe! :mad:

I also happen to dislike when people make trees stand up straight with sticks. The coolest looking trees are always the natural, slanted, knarled trees. Most trees these days look like they were grown in a lab. Bleh.

Bruce Bergman
05-22-2004, 07:50 PM
I've seen similar "pruning" elsewhere. A job I worked at did the same thing to their trees, and I was horrified. I can't believe it's standard practice. The shade issue is definitely a concern. Plus, Bruce has it right - it's impossible for these trees to eat and breathe! :mad:

I also happen to dislike when people make trees stand up straight with sticks. The coolest looking trees are always the natural, slanted, knarled trees. Most trees these days look like they were grown in a lab. Bleh.

There is pruning trees back, and then there's butchery. Judging from the size of the trunks, those trees were a good 15 to 20 years old when they were transplanted - but if they keep slashing them back like that every year they'll have great big trunks and little spindly main limbs in the crown that break easily...

That is why they are removing a lot of the older trees inside Disneyland and planting younger trees in their place. They have 70 - 80 - 100 year old specimen trees with huge trunks and wonderful crown structures - and these beautiful trees are also root-bound from being watered in a little planter surrounded by pavement, and get over-watered because of the shrubs and ground cover at the base. The roots get fungus and rot started, and the tree falls over in the first good windstorm. :eek:

Those trees at DCA are tall enough to see under them - they need to allow the main branches to start growing out and developing a decently shaped crown, and the time to prune them back is in the fall after the leaves have dropped.

Trees standing up straight and tall is a byproduct of lawyers. Trees with some gnarling and character may look nicer in a "wild" setting, but these trees are in an "Urban Park" setting. Straight and tall means branches don't break off as often and hit people. People who sue. :~D

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

TerryTiger
05-22-2004, 08:15 PM
...I don't know what kinds of trees these are or what they represent, but there is probably a reason behind it. (Don't get me wrong, I still think it looks awful).

I believe they are California Sycamores.

stan4d_steph
05-22-2004, 08:53 PM
There is pruning trees back, and then there's butchery. Judging from the size of the trunks, those trees were a good 15 to 20 years old when they were transplanted - but if they keep slashing them back like that every year they'll have great big trunks and little spindly main limbs in the crown that break easily... I believe TerryTiger is right, in that the trees are sycamores. Sycamores grow very rapidly, so would quickly outgrow their spots if not maintained the way they are. The practice is called pollarding, where the new growth of a tree is cut back nearly to the trunk so that the branches will grow back in a dense mass.

The trees look pretty ridiculous after pruning, but grow back looking full. They can still take up nutrients through their roots. In the meantime, there is no shade, which is unfortunate. Personally I think if they didn't want a permanent roof structure, they should have created the ability for a canopy to be installed for special events.

DCAWhites
05-22-2004, 11:29 PM
Well, saw them recently this weekend, and they're growing back pretty quickly. Theres quite a few leaves on each of the butchered limbs, so the tree most certaintly isn't dead and its slowly groing back. They'll probably look like the first picture in a couple of months if they're watered properly.

And about falling trees... The bamboo in flick's fun fair do it all the time in heavy wind, although they are quite light and hallow.