PDA

View Full Version : DCA needs a "Blue Bayou" restaurant

Pages : [1] 2

oohykitten
05-20-2004, 10:28 AM
A totally unquie dinning area. I feel they should have added that to Tower. The Starlight room or something that is made to feel 1920's, so it's even more of a ying yang feel as like your truly stuck between two time eras. Was this something that was ever planned for the area?

Cadaverous Pallor
05-20-2004, 10:36 AM
The Soap Opera Bistro was a wonderfully themed restaurant. The interior was composed of various soap opera "set" areas - hospital, living room, etc. Every now and then actors would come out and act out a soap opera scene, involving guests in the plot. The one time I went there I had a great time.

The food, however, was over-priced and not very good.

I'd say that place was DCA's shot at themed dining - but now it's a kiddie stage show area.

sleepyjeff
05-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Well, if they build a copy of the Mexican building that is in EPCOT:

Would fit the Californian theme ok.

With a few improvements, the boat ride could be an E-ticket.

The Restuarant was(at least back in 1990, when I last ate there) very good, with atmosphere that rivals the BB.

cstephens
05-20-2004, 11:19 AM
A totally unquie dinning area. I feel they should have added that to Tower. The Starlight room or something that is made to feel 1920's, so it's even more of a ying yang feel as like your truly stuck between two time eras. Was this something that was ever planned for the area?

Disney has shown that they've completely forgotten how to manage restaurants and other food outlets, especially at DCA.

And I'm one of those who doesn't think as highly of Blue Bayou as others do.

Ghoulish Delight
05-20-2004, 11:46 AM
The resort needs a complete overhaul of dining options. Even when I wasn't an APer, and came once a year, the food was one of the things I looked forward to. The tortellini at the French Market was to die for, for instance. Now everything in the park is pretty bland, pre-packaged, heat lamp stuff. It's not interesting or desireable. And so damned expensive. Counter service lunches should not cost $9 per person. Especially when the quality is not what it once was.

mrs_toad
05-20-2004, 12:07 PM
And I'm one of those who doesn't think as highly of Blue Bayou as others do.

I've eaten at Blue Bayou twice and I was not impressed on either occasion. I made no special effort to eat there on my most recent trip.

Disney definitely needs to get their restaurant/food management act together. There is so much money that can be made from quality eating establishments, they are really missing the boat.

pisces
05-20-2004, 12:55 PM
What's the matter with Blue Bayou?

I've never been there, but am planning on a trip, as I thought it was the best of the Park---according to the restaurant ratings.

For those of you who don't like it, is that because of the price? Or, is the food mediocre----including the famous Monte Cristo?

I suppose I will have to see for myself, but I really wish I knew what to expect in advance, good and bad.

oohykitten
05-20-2004, 12:59 PM
food is "ok", the area is great. I'd pay money just to be able to sit next to the water and have a soda

jrad32
05-20-2004, 01:07 PM
While a themed restaurant would be a nice addition to DCA, I think they better worry about getting some more good attractions in there first.

CarlieB
05-20-2004, 01:13 PM
We went to the BB for the first time (for lunch) last November, and I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. That said, it's not amazing, either (imho). I wouldn't go for dinner, as I think it's way overpriced then. But for lunch, it's not bad.

Andrew
05-20-2004, 01:22 PM
The Blue Bayou is the only place you can get the World Famous Monte Cristo sandwich. And only during the lunch seating, at that.

Tip: Order one sandwich to share, with an appetizer or salad each. You'll have more than enough.

CarlieB
05-20-2004, 01:29 PM
Tip: Order one sandwich to share, with an appetizer or salad each. You'll have more than enough.
This is one of the wisest things I have ever heard (and I say that from experience). Btw, the green salad with pecans that they do is amazing. I had it instead of the pasta salad that they normally serve with the Monte Cristo, and it was well worth it.

Pirate Girl
05-20-2004, 02:22 PM
The Blue Bayou is the only place you can get the World Famous Monte Cristo sandwich. And only during the lunch seating, at that.

Definatly. I went with a big group of friends as a special treat last summer. We were expecting to slurge, but because we split the entree's we actually spent less on lunch at Blue Bayou than we spent on dinner at Pizza Port.

cstephens
05-20-2004, 02:40 PM

I've never been there, but am planning on a trip, as I thought it was the best of the Park---according to the restaurant ratings.

For those of you who don't like it, is that because of the price? Or, is the food mediocre----including the famous Monte Cristo?

It's one of only two publicly-accessible table-service restaurants in DL, so that's probably partly why it gets a good rating. I don't dislike it, but it's not somewhere I necessarily choose to go. The atmosphere is good, yes, but I can get that from riding Pirates. The food is ok, and the service has usually been fairly bad. I've never had a Monte Cristo, and it doesn't appeal to me at all, so that's not a draw. For the prices they charge, I can have a much better meal elsewhere. I've only eaten there twice in the last two or three years, and both times have been for a special event.

jrad32
05-20-2004, 03:18 PM

I'm sure you mean the only place to get a Monte Cristo at Disneyland. The sandwich is fairly common at other delis and restaurants. While the one at the Bayou is good, as I've mentioned in other threads, I've had better. The Monte Cristo is not a Disney creation.

Kevy Baby
05-20-2004, 03:37 PM
You have to take some of the comments here with a grain of salt (and I am not pointing fingers because I've made similar comments myself).

Compared to other restaurants that you might go to outside the park, the food is so-so and overpriced. HOWEVER (and and its a big however), you do eat right along the start of PotC (it's a wonderful Louisianna Bayou setting). It is a wonderful, relaxing experience. I would highly recommend it for a first time or occasional visitor. While it may not be as good as it once was or as good as outside the berm, it is still one of the better dining experiences in the park. If all you are looking for is "food - quick and cheap", eat outside the park or at least somewhere else in the park.

I would say, and others have agreed, that the brunch/lunch menu is better than the dinner. If you've never had a Monte Cristo sandwich, it would be fun to try one. But as jrad32 said, there are many places to get one and Disney did not invent it (I did find an interesting web site (http://cheftalkcafe.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-8138.html) discussing the history of the sandwich though).

cryan71
05-20-2004, 04:04 PM
After devouring your World Famous Monte Cristo sandwich, the nearest restroom to expell it is to your left past the painters. Believe me you will need this advice.

Kevy Baby
05-20-2004, 04:44 PM
After devouring your World Famous Monte Cristo sandwich, the nearest restroom to expell it is to your left past the painters. Believe me you will need this advice.I'm not sure if you are referring to the portion size (as in too much) or the taste (as in it tastes so bad that you will need to hurl it).

If it's the former, then stop eating when you are full.

If it's the latter, then that's YOUR opinion (and not very eloquently stated I might add). There are many people who enjoy the Monte Cristo. While it's not my cup of tea (a couple of bites off of GusGus's plate is usually enough to satisfy me), many people do enjoy it. And you may not, and that's fine: I am sure you aren't the only one.

I just wanted to make sure that a little better impression is left of this meal to everyone.

SCUBAbe
05-20-2004, 05:53 PM

I suppose I will have to see for myself, but I really wish I knew what to expect in advance, good and bad.

The food is ok. Everything I've ordered has been spicy. I like spicy though. When my child was 3 or 4 we ate there and she had the childs chiken strip meal (or whatever the fried chicken is called there.) well, that was spicy to. I don't know very many kids who'll eat spicy chicken fingers. So, we had to get her food out in the park.

I think people rave about the restuarant because of the ambiance. It is really nice inside and relaxing. It's nice to get out of the hustle and bustle of the park.

Also, both times we went the service has benn very slow and not that great. The also sat us both tomes back where they are constantly bang dishes. I think the buser tubs were there....I don't know, but it was loud. Maybe they only sit couples up near the water? We had about 5 in our group both times.

Cloud Buster
05-20-2004, 07:14 PM
I am told the Bistro was intended to be the BB type restaurant at DCA, but it was closed as part of an overall effort to make DCA a more family friendly park. Originally, DCA was intended to be primarily adult theme park, but Disney has a reputation of being a family destination so families were bringing their children and realizing there was nothing for the kids to do. As a result, after only a few months of it being open, the effort to make DCA child friendly began -- incidently part of this included adding the characters who were "on vacation".

The Bistro was replaced by Playhouse Disney -- taking away some grown up stuff, adding kid stuff.

I believe the "fine dining" at DCA is currently in GCH at the Napa Rose. I am told it is a 5 star restaurant, and by the looks of it, it appears to be the nicest restaurant in the entire resort. The Napa Rose is actually very close to the gate connecting GCH and DCA.

pisces
05-20-2004, 07:18 PM
Well, I'll be going by myself, so I guess I'll need a doggie bag for my unfinished Monte Cristo portion. I hope it tastes just as good the next day, or hours later.

For me, as a single diner, the ambience is very important, as I never take a newspaper or reading material with me when dining alone. Therefore, I like something to gaze out at......and Blue Bayou sounds perfect for my gazing needs. I just hope they don't have a problem giving the waterside tables to single diners. Aren't those tables usually reserved for groups?

The more I think about it, I'm not sure that the Disneyland experience is supposed to be all about food, anyway. I think Knotts Berry Farm is more about food, since Knotts whole history was created around the famous Mrs. Knotts Chicken Dinners......which it sounds like, there is no equal at Disneyland.

That being said, if I visit Napa Rose, I'm going to expect fantastic tasting food creations. I'll be seriously disappointed if Napa Rose turns out to be the least bit mediocre.

NirvanaMan
05-20-2004, 07:32 PM
BB is great. The monte cristo is unique because they they batter it and fry it! Though since, I have seen that elsewhere in california...so maybe it is a west coast thing to fry a monte cristo? Anyway....it is still by faaaar the best one I have ever had. And the atmosphere is great. Order only 1 for you and your date or whomever you are going with and split an appetizer. One nice thing about BB is that you get free refills on the drinks, unlike elsewhere in the resort.

CarlieB
05-20-2004, 07:32 PM
There's also the restaurant at in the vineyard at DCA...I've heard very good things about it on this board. Might be worth checking out:)

Rae
05-20-2004, 07:42 PM
I have heard other say on this board that if you want to experience the atmosphere but are unsure about the menu, go for desert. An 11am morning tea when they open or afternoon tea.

What we plan to do is on the day we go to our character breakfast we will probably have a long and large breakfast and skip lunch, and then go to BB for an afternoon pick me up of something sweet and gooey.

Can anyone tell me what the desert menu is like???

Not Afraid
05-20-2004, 07:56 PM
The Golden Vine at DCA is a good counterpart to the BB. It doesn't have the same atmosphere, but it is nice up there - especially to view the DEP. The food is waaaaay better. I like a Monte Cristo now and then, but, for a really wonderful, diverse meal, I perfer the Golden Vine.