PDA

View Full Version : Special So Cal pricing for summer?

SJSman
05-19-2004, 11:02 PM
any news of specials for so cal residents this summer? if not any official news, are there rumors? when will they be official? when will they take effect?

Cloud Buster
05-19-2004, 11:11 PM
I am not aware of any, and I would not expect any. Most promotions are suspended between about June 1 - August 28. I may be wrong, but don't hold your breath either.

MonorailMan
05-19-2004, 11:17 PM
The idea of most SoCal specials, is to draw in the people, when the parks are not crouded. However, in the summer, you don't have that problem. :)

SJSman
05-19-2004, 11:36 PM
the only reason i asked is because it was discussed on another thread as something that usually happens.. on that thread people were staying it would be announced in a couple weeks probably. Just wondering if there was more details to it..

Darkbeer
05-19-2004, 11:46 PM
While it is too early to tell in regards to DCA's attendance, so far it hasn't met the expectations of TDA in regards to ToT opening....

So, will there be a summer deal, well...

Journey to Atlantis opens Memorial Day weekend, and the first riders (the construction workers) said it was a very good attraction today....

Revenge of the Mummy opens June 25th, and based on what I know, will create a lot of positive word-of-mouth....

So, what will happen, SeaWorld is now charging the same $49.75 as DL and USH, and this now makes their Fun Card Season Pass just $2.20 more than a single day ticket...

USH just raised its AP prices, they now cost between $68.75 and $129.75.

Knott's will have Rip Tide opening soon, but its big ride won't open until Christmas eve....

So, we know Knott's will continue its aggressive pricing to SoCal folks, kids are now always $12.95, and I presume the adult tickets will be offered for around $30 in some sort of special for SoCals....

I am not sure about USH, they have been inching up their prices, and I don't see them doing too much discounting, but will spend a lot on advertising the new ride...

SeaWorld will also plug its new ride in a major advertising campaign...

So what can Disney do....

There isn't much to push, they have already spent a lot on Snow White and ToT advertising (The only big new things for the resort this year), so a discount program is a good possibility...

We already have the year-round 5 day for the price of 3 parkhopper (if bought in advance), and they are continuing the Free hotel night promotion... these are great for visitors, but what about the locals...

What I see coming is a Supermarket tie-in program in SoCal.... the Supermarkets are still trying to bring back folks after the strike, so I can see a program where if you buy selected Coke products, and/or purchase a certain amount of groceries, that you would get a voucher for a DCA discount. (I think for the summer, Disneyland will get enough attendance, so they will want to drive DCA attendance.) Remember, there is no summer music series or X-games promotion this year.

And while the promotion could take many forms (a sweepstakes/game where multiple prizes are available, from cars and grocery discounts, to a few free vacation packages, but mainly some free DCA tickets, and discounts to most everyone else...., or a collect and save program, buy enough stuff, get $5 off, collect and save, 10 trips would get you a free ticket to DCA....

And while this is based on previous Disney actions, this is just an educated guess....

Darkbeer
05-19-2004, 11:47 PM
I am not aware of any, and I would not expect any. Most promotions are suspended between about June 1 - August 28. I may be wrong, but don't hold your breath either.
Last year, the 2 fer tickets were offered for 9 months of the year, including July and August......

Cloud Buster
05-19-2004, 11:59 PM
Last year, the 2 fer tickets were offered for 9 months of the year, including July and August......

As I said, I may be wrong, but the information I currently have suggests no.

SJSman
05-20-2004, 12:55 PM
As I said, I may be wrong, but the information I currently have suggests no.

no offense to you, but your original information (according to Dark Beers post) was wrong about the past, so hopefully it is about the future as well...

i need a promotion for the summer!!

Towmod
05-20-2004, 01:00 PM
i need a promotion for the summer!!

Not likely unless attendance doesnt materialize at DCA.

Cloud Buster
05-20-2004, 02:25 PM
no offense to you, but your original information (according to Dark Beers post) was wrong about the past

I don't see how.

Darkbeer
05-20-2004, 02:38 PM
I just found out the Knott's promotion, they are going with coupons on cans of Pepsi, $16 off adult admission (makes it $27 per person), and kids for $12.95. The coupons expire Labor Day, so that has the entire summer covered.

This should force SFMM to match that offer... (both parks don't have any new BIG rides this summer)...

Only time will tell for the Disney SoCal parks, but they have a few key dates...

Memorial Day weekend, Knott's discounting, and SeaWorld opening its new big attraction, good results for those parks, combined with less than expected numbers at the DLR could force a discount campaign (Memorial Day weekend is mainly locals, and folks who live somewhat near the parks (Las Vegas, Phoenix and the Bay area being the big three).

Next will be the end of June, how is attendance picking up at the DLR versus last year numbers for both parks, and what was the impact with the opening of the new Revenge of the Mummy at USH.... Last year, the 2 fer (Pay for Disneyland, get DCA for free) came back on August 1st, so it not be decided until sometime in July...

Anways, keep you eye out here at MousePlanet.com, if a new discount program is announced, you will find the details here....