PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Haunted Mansion Question...

Osky
05-19-2004, 07:33 PM
OK. I am at the GCH right now, and rode HM today after they reopened. BTW, the exit ramp is up and running, no problems. Anyway, I noticed something that seems different on the ride, besides the EXIT signs, and I cannot believe I just missed it before. After the large room that you look down on where the banquet is going on, and before the graveyard, there is a small room where the bride is with the beating heart. Has this always been made up to look like the attic of a house? I don't remember that, but it might be just me. Maybe they cleaned it up a little or something. Anyway, I defer to the true experts on here...

TheatreTech
05-19-2004, 08:03 PM
Yes. I believe it has always been an attic. (Notice how when you enter the graveyard, you come out on the roof.)

Glad to hear the exit ramp is working again.

Not Afraid
05-19-2004, 08:04 PM
Yup. That's been the attic for as long as I can remember.

gn2dlnd
05-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Yep, the attic has always been the attic. However, the ghost playing the piano is new in the last few years. BTW, does anyone know if there ever was a "Hatbox Ghost" groom in the attic? He's referred to on the story record, but I was never sure if he got removed, or just never appeared.

MrToad
05-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Yes, gn2dlnd, there was a hatbox ghost! (http://www.doombuggies.com/myths3.htm)
They took him out less than a month after the ride opened, however, as the effect never worked as well as they wanted it to. As a matter of fact, the linked page has the only known photo of the 'ghost'. Creepy, indeed.

Khiori
05-19-2004, 08:53 PM
that hat box ghost is spooky!

Speaking of the HM though - I never noticed this until our last trip. In the banquet hall, under the table with the cake there's a ghost passed out with a bottle of wine spilled. Is that new? Do we have 1000 ghosts? Or has it been there all along and I only saw it now that I have new glasses? :cool:

Ghoulish Delight
05-19-2004, 09:19 PM
that hat box ghost is spooky!

Speaking of the HM though - I never noticed this until our last trip. In the banquet hall, under the table with the cake there's a ghost passed out with a bottle of wine spilled. Is that new? Do we have 1000 ghosts? Or has it been there all along and I only saw it now that I have new glasses? :cool:Always been there.

Osky
05-19-2004, 09:55 PM
I guess it is official. I am dumb. Actually, I'll just blame it on the exit signs illuminating the room a little better than it used to be illuminated. So, the new question is, Where is the hatbox ghost now? That would be a nice touch to put him on display in the gallery, or somehow incorporate him back in for the 50th...

Disneyfreak
05-19-2004, 10:03 PM
I guess it is official. I am dumb. Actually, I'll just blame it on the exit signs illuminating the room a little better than it used to be illuminated. So, the new question is, Where is the hatbox ghost now? That would be a nice touch to put him on display in the gallery, or somehow incorporate him back in for the 50th...

What is nice to know is that this is possible with the technology we have today if it was a mechanical problem with the implementation. But for all we know the original is in a junk yard by now.

DigitalLizard
05-20-2004, 09:14 AM

Don't feel dumb... we have been riding it for YEARS and on our last
trip we kept getting fast passes for it - must have rode it atleast 5
times in 2 days and we saw things that we NEVER noticed before...
however, like I mentioned in another thread... we missed the exit signs!

Cadaverous Pallor
05-20-2004, 09:28 AM
however, like I mentioned in another thread... we missed the exit signs!When were you there? The exit signs were added within the past month or so.

gn2dlnd
05-20-2004, 02:12 PM
Yes, gn2dlnd, there was a hatbox ghost! (http://www.doombuggies.com/myths3.htm)

Thanks MrToad!
OK, here's another. Did Walt Disney offer to build a Monorail from L.A. to Disneyland in the late '60s? I used to repeat this as fact, until I realized I couldn't remember where I'd heard this particular "fact."
And then remind me to ask about a Custodial CM referred to as "White Wing." Or was he "The White Wing?" Anyone know of this guy?

gn2dlnd
05-20-2004, 03:02 PM
Umm, you know, I should have posted my last two questions on the "Disneyland History" thread. I was reading both threads and mentally mushed them into one.
Here's a story,though. When I was sweeper at the Park in 1980, I did a walk-through of the Mansion one night after closing. This was to pick up larger pieces of trash, regular maintenance crews did the rest. When I got to the ballroom scene I leaned over the railing to see if I could get a glimpse of the ghosts below the balcony. Did I say I leaned over? I did not! I bashed my head against the plate glass so hard I my ears are still ringing! There are TWO pltes of glass between guests and the ballroom, one right at the balcony itself, presumably to prevent nosy sweepers from falling over, and the second one, about ten feet out, which is used to create the illusion of the "ghosts."

Cadaverous Pallor
05-20-2004, 03:26 PM
What is nice to know is that this is possible with the technology we have today if it was a mechanical problem with the implementation. The reason the hatbox ghost didn't last was because it was too close to the track. Making the actual, physical head look as if it wasn't there was based on simply turning off the lights that showed it. I'm sure it looked pretty bad.

Perhaps today they could use holographs or something, but I've never liked holographic effects.