PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Quiet Spot??

WvT3rd
10-29-2001, 12:56 PM
Wondering where everyone's favorite spot to catch a moment of peace and quiet at the Parks? Someplace to get out of the sun
and the noise of the crowds....
Mine's are on the top deck of the Mark Twain in the small room that has about 8 chairs in it. Nice breeze coming in the doorway, in the shade, and the nice motion of the ride nearly had me dozing in no time of all.
My favorite place in DCA to recharge has to be in the lobby of the Animation Building....although sometimes it brings to mind of a scene from "Soylent Green" ; )

Walter in sillycon valley.

Ralph Wiggum
10-29-2001, 01:02 PM
I like the far corner that is talked about in another active thread. Its in the Hungry Bear Restraunt in the back of the bottom floor.

Dlandmom
10-29-2001, 01:06 PM
Walkway past Big Thunder...but not too close to the smoking area. It's usually fairly quiet, and with all the trees, you can always find a little shade on a hot day. My other favorite is on the porch of the old Teddy Beara saloon area (I know there's a more accurate name for this!)...right as you exit the Country Bear Jamboree, you face a bench on the porch of the saloon building...now that CBJ is gone, it's nice to sit there and listen to the little waterfall/stream there.

Ralph Wiggum
10-29-2001, 01:32 PM
Another spot I love is the back walkway behind Grizly River Run in DCA(also away from the smoking section). The waterfalls and trees create such a peaceful mood.

EmmaPeel007
10-29-2001, 02:44 PM
I like the courtyards in New Orleans Square - especially the one off the Pieces of Eight Shop. There's usually a nice bench there and no one really seems to want to stop there because it's somewhat secluded. It's lovely.

mad4mky
10-29-2001, 03:04 PM
My husband laughs at this. He insists there is no quiet spot in DL. I happen to disagree.
I also think the lower area of Hungry Bear in the far corner is good.
But, I enjoy people watching, so I enjoy the benches in NOS in between the French Market and Haunted Mansion. Nice shade trees. You can people watch...and the kids can meet you back there after they have run off by themselves for a while.

innerSpaceman
10-29-2001, 03:35 PM
My fave is the tranquile spot at the far, far, far back of the lower level beneath Hungry Bear Restaurant. Can't be beat for getting away from the crowds. Right on the banks of the Rivers of America. Mark Twain, Columbia, canoes, Disneyland Railroad and ducks pass by, but nary a human being ever wanders to this remote corner.

Ghoulish Delight
10-29-2001, 03:49 PM
I always liked the courtyards in the Gallery Shop above Pirates. My other 'favorite' I have mixed feelings about. It's nearly perfect, with one glaring flaw. It's the 'pier' that juts out into the old motor boat lagoon. No one is EVER there. There are chairs and benches. It's shady. You get a nice view of the water and an occasional duck. The draw back? You are in ear shot of that incessant ticking from you-know-where. I love the ride, but try reading a book or taking a cat nap with that giant smiling face ticking at you. Grr. It would be perfect otherwise.

tinkfreak
10-29-2001, 04:16 PM
I agree with Ghoulish Delight about the old motor boat pier (which for the nit-pickers, has been re-named "Fantasia Gardens"), although on a summer day it can get quite crowded. Another great spot, (and my personal favorite) is the seating areas near Harbour Galley. There are tables, chairs and benches, and it's almost always quiet. You can enjoy a lunch from home or DL, and just enjoy the secluded view of the river and TS's island. Or, if you move up the stairs and on to the adjacent platform, you can watch the logs from splash shoot out from the tunnel right after the drop. This is an interseting view since you are above the newly drenched riders, and they don't know they're being watched!

blusilva
10-29-2001, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
. It's the 'pier' that juts out into the old motor boat lagoon. No one is EVER there. There are chairs and benches. It's shady. You get a nice view of the water and an occasional duck. The draw back? You are in ear shot of that incessant ticking from you-know-where.

Heh. It was even worse when the Rocket Rods were whining like dentist drills overhead. *shudder*

I actually really like that spot. The tick-tocking doesn't bother me. But, I grew up in a house with a grandfather clock. :)

I also used to love the Harbor Gallery spot...haven't been there since McDonald's moved in, though. Has it become crowded back there?

Another one of my fave hideaways is the trail between the Plaza Pavillion (is that what it's called? Where they do the swing dancing?) and the entrance to Frontierland. It's shady and dark and has water and some low benches. Very quiet and restful.

tinkfreak
10-29-2001, 04:26 PM
Blusilva's right about the trail between Frontierland and Carnation Gardens. And no, Harbour Galley isn't any more crowded since it re-opened as a fry-barn. If anything it was the most crowded when they used to serve real food.

DisneylandKid
10-29-2001, 06:24 PM
Disneyland:
Hungry Bear
Former CBJ Area
Patio of Disney Gallery
Big Thunder Trail (away from smokers) Bridge
Walkway Between Storybookland and Fantasyland Theatre
Motorboat Cruise Lagoon Area (Near Matterhorn)
I'm sure there are more

DCA:
Grizzly River Run/Redwood Creek Area
Pacific Wharf/Farmer's Market Restaurant Area
Disney Animation Lobby

tabacco
10-29-2001, 07:58 PM
I like to go sit on the Club 33 back stairway, next to Pieces of Eight. That, or up in the gallery patio or at the Hungry Bear.

BiggJakeMoney
10-29-2001, 09:31 PM
I guess I'm a little odd, since this place is neither quiet nor secluded, but my favorite spot to relax in the park is on one of the circular benches that sit on the edge of the ramp up to the castle, right before you hit the drawbridge. I like to sit, prop my feet up on the other side (the advantage of a circular bench), and just zone out as I gaze at the geese in the moat, or the castle itself. Often times I doze off in the afternoon heat. It's quite wonderful.

-BJM

FEJ
11-01-2001, 08:38 PM
On the Picnic table on Som Sawyers Island..by the exit to Injun Joe's cave

MammaSilva
11-01-2001, 10:21 PM
several 'favs' depending on time of day ..

*the little alleyway in NoS that is on the other side of the crystal shop

*the little alcove where the stairs are in NoS

*the "courtyard" area between the French Market and HM

*the benches right next to the bridge across from ThunderMt.

*that area up by the Fantasyland Theater when there is no show going on...across from the lockers/bathrooms but not up by the train stop (this has the same problem as Fanstasia gardens...tick tick tick)

*that spot over near where Arial hangs out (when she isn't "out") across from the Matterhorn.....

cemeinke
11-01-2001, 11:04 PM
It seems to me that just about every land in Disneyland has a great place or two to kick back, relax and watch the sites. The one exception seems to be Tomorrowland. The spot outside Redd Rocket's Pizza Port is too noisy what with competing shows from Club Buzz and the Innovention's barkers.

There also seems to be a lack of shady places, or otherwise inviting spots to stay. The seating throughout is very fast-food-esq.

Anybody found a place in Tomorrowland they like?

(Growing up in the 60's Tomorrowland was my favorite place, and I really want to like the new tomorrowland but I'm still having a tough time with it)

Nigel2
11-02-2001, 12:16 AM
Under the Rocket rods is quiet now, and if its early enough or other circumstances there is little spiel from innoventions and the radio show only is heard in the afternoon also.

tjrj
11-02-2001, 06:16 AM
It's not a "quiet spot" by any means but my husband and I love to watch the little ones run around the "ball fountain"? in Tommorrow Land. We just sit and grin and giggle and remember when ours were that age.

coronamouseman
11-02-2001, 06:53 AM
1. Harbor Galley area (already mentioned)
2. Anywhere on Big Thunder Trail (closed right now)
3. Anywhere on the north end of Tom Sawyer Island - not much foot traffic at that end

Disney Crone/Kid
11-02-2001, 07:13 AM
The little-known, open-air central courtyard of the Disney Gallery, which originally housed Walt Disney's (second) private apartment, is my favorite.

Unfortunately, Mr. Disney passed on before he was able to enjoy his new digs in New Orleans Square, above The Pirates of the Caribbean attraction. Because it was turned into a gallery for the public, we all get to enjoy it for him.

The sounds of the water fountain are relaxing, and the air temperatures are perfect, as Mr. Disney had heating and cooling vents built along the perimeter of the courtyard.

More info on the Disney Gallery (http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/Disneyland/Secrets/Square/Gallery.html)