PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland [ever] damaged?

Disney Vault
05-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Has DL ever been damaged by an earthquake?

Gemini Cricket
05-18-2004, 01:54 PM
I seem to remember the Disneyland Hotel reporting cracks in their walls during the 1999 earthquake.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9910/16/california.quake.06/

Rallymonkey23
05-18-2004, 01:59 PM
I seem to remember the Disneyland Hotel reporting cracks in their walls during the 1999 earthquake.

I'm not 100% sure, though.

That is correct. They evacuated the DLH for safety purposes. I was there that morning and they shut down Space Mountain. Maybe that earthquake had alot to do with the some of the damage SM had.

efoxx
05-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Dland was also slightly damaged during an earthquake in the late sixties. minor, some cracks in buildings, fallen bricks. maintanence was able to inspect the park, repair minor damage and open only an hour or so late.

this is from my childhood memory

Cloud Buster
05-18-2004, 05:29 PM
Every time there was an earthquake....just nothing serious enough to make the news over "Earthquake rocks Southland"

Bruce Bergman
05-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Yes, Disneyland has had buildings and attractions damaged by earthquakes before. They find the damage and fix it, no problems. :p

(Don't ask me the details, I don't work there. If you are really interested, you could probably dig through the Anaheim building permit records and find out a lot.)

:geek: All buildings (especially in California) are carefully designed to flex and shift a little in an earthquake, to give a little rather than fail structurally and fall down - which would be a bad thing. Cracks are a normal byproduct of an earthquake. Even a planned-for partial failure is okay - because that's a lot better than a total failure.

They get the park maintenence staff to go around and check that there's no major damage that could cause something to fail, and they bring in an expert engineer if there are any questions. They can reopen the building or ride depending on the outcome of the inspection. [/ :geek: ]

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

CoasterMatt
05-18-2004, 09:03 PM
Space Mountain's track damage had nothing to do with earthquakes, and everything to do with trains that had extra weight added (the homebuilt sound systems), that stressed the ride structure in ways it wasn't designed for.

Kevy Baby
05-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Then there is the damage caused by Eisner & company

Disneyfreak
05-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Yeah the bean counters. :D

Bruce Bergman
05-18-2004, 10:36 PM
The Eisner Effect is more of a 'decay through deferred maintenance' than outright earthquake damage. Then again, after a while they both look alike, and have the same effect... :rolleyes:

Not that I deal with condo associations and 35-year-old rotted out steel conduits all day or anything... ("You can pay me once to replace it all, or pay me fifty or a hundred times to patch it back together and/or change it out one section at a time. Trust me, in the long run it's a whole lot cheaper to pay me once.")

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

dasrock
05-19-2004, 02:25 AM
shake, rattle, and roll :D