PDA

View Full Version : "Starving" college student in need of a vacation

SJSman
05-17-2004, 08:09 PM
I'm from LA and am thinking about spending a couple days at the DLR sometime this summer with friends. Problem is that I dont have much money, so a stay at the GC is out of the question!

I guess my question is what is the best deal (hotel, admission tickets, etc) for a group of 3 or 4 to spend a couple days (2 days, 1 night maybe) at the resort?

thanks for the help!

HBTiggerFan
05-17-2004, 09:29 PM
Oh boy do I understand the need for a vacation on a budget!

Look into staying at one of the properties on Harbor. If you're not picky where you stay, and have a car consider priceline (but look at biddingfortravel.com first to see what hotels are in what star ranges) for cheap rates. Most hotel rates are based on double occupancy and will allow up to 4 people per room.

Next, either stay at a place that has a breakfast included in the cost, or bring something from home to have for breakfast. Eat a big late lunch and you won't be hungry for dinner.

Since you live in LA, see what kind of SoCal resident specials they are running. If you have AAA you can get a good deal and either AAA or the DL site may have a good deal on tickets. Also see if the dates you want to go will fall on any block out dates for an AP, as it may be cheaper to get an AP (with parking if you have a car) then to pay $8 a day for parking if you have to drive to the resort, or cheaper than a 1 day ticket. Also, since you live in LA you could drive back down and go to the park.

Cloud Buster
05-17-2004, 10:05 PM
I'm from LA and am thinking about spending a couple days at the DLR sometime this summer with friends. Problem is that I dont have much money, so a stay at the GC is out of the question!

I guess my question is what is the best deal (hotel, admission tickets, etc) for a group of 3 or 4 to spend a couple days (2 days, 1 night maybe) at the resort?

thanks for the help!

SJS? As in San Jose State?

GC will run $275 a night on the low end, so as you said, I'm sure it's out of your price range.

There are a couple of decent low-budget places on Ball road behind the resort, just north of the entrances to the M&F parking lot. More specifically, that's Ball road just WEST of the 5 freeway (or just west of Harbor Blvd by about 1/2 mile). Most people don't think of these since they're technically not in the "Disney" area, but trust me they're just as close. There is a Best Western there, from which you could walk to one of the green "Anaheim Resort" bus stops. If you're willing to walk a bit farther, you could actually walk to the M&F lot from which a tram will take you straight to the front gates.

Pat-n-Eil
05-17-2004, 10:36 PM
If you are a member of AAA, you can score some deals.

I looked one up. Staying at the Ramada Anaheim on July 15th & 16th, departing on the 17th with a 2 day parkhopper ticket runs $277.50

If you booked 4 people into the room it would cost $580.50 (which, divided by 4 is only $145.25 apiece.

I don't know your travel dates or the number of people in your group.. but that's a pretty cheap getaway.

Upgraded to a 3 day parkhopper by yourself, it would be $303.50 and for 4 people is $684.50 (or $171.13 each).

SJSman
05-17-2004, 10:53 PM
SJS? As in San Jose State?

SJS= my initials.. not too creative

thanks for the help! Hopefully I can make this trip work out..

-SJSman

jswtsang
05-18-2004, 07:37 AM
A few years back I stayed across the street from the parkinglot, i assume that's now DCA, but those motels may still be there, I didn't stay at the carousel, but there's one called that with horses in the front, I can't remember the name of the place I stayed but it was close and if it didn't have a shuttle it was walkable(can't really remember).
Another tip someone gave me which is less than legit is to figure out what hotels give free parking and don't check if you stay there for the shuttle and park there and take their shuttle...i haven't bothered to try that one, but i don't have an annual pass like she does
jt

leota's necklace
05-18-2004, 09:32 AM
If you're looking for Park admission AND accomodations, you might want to try www.getawaytoday.org . As their brochure says, their prices are per room, not per person, and include room tax and two adult park-hopper tickets.

The only snag is (and this is a problem I've run into when using them) the packages specify two adults and three children, using existing beds. We booked through them once with four adults (after being assured by the folks at GAT that this wasn't a problem) and ended up with a room with one double bed. Luckily the hotel was nice enough to find us an extra bed, but it was still a little bit of a hassle.

But. If you're looking for a cheap vacation, and don't mind camping on the floor (bring sleeping bags), they can work out well for you. you can also buy additional park tickets on the website.

sjcivilady
05-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Have you tried hotwire.com? You can't see the motel name - but can see what they offer (like free breakfast) and the prices - have seen two star motels for as low as $28 in Buena Park. That's what I'm going to try next time I go.