PDA

View Full Version : Grocery store near DLR?

tracilicious
05-17-2004, 04:08 PM
Can someone please tell me the closest grocery store to DL? Thanks. :fez:

tod
05-17-2004, 04:13 PM
Probably Food 4 Less at Brookhurst and Katella.

--t

bduff
05-18-2004, 11:23 AM
I've heard that there is a small convenience store at the corner of Katella and Harbor. Can anyone confirm that? In recent posts where people are asking about nearby grocery stores, that never gets mentioned. Now I'm assuming a convenience store wouldn't be cheap, but wouldn't it be cheaper for beverages and snack food than what you would pay for comparable fare in DLR?

tod
05-18-2004, 12:02 PM
I've heard that there is a small convenience store at the corner of Katella and Harbor. Can anyone confirm that? In recent posts where people are asking about nearby grocery stores, that never gets mentioned. Now I'm assuming a convenience store wouldn't be cheap, but wouldn't it be cheaper for beverages and snack food than what you would pay for comparable fare in DLR?

There's a 7-Eleven on that corner, and I have had trouble parking there, much less getting in.

Tracilicious asked for a "grocery store," so that's what I told her, or maybe him.

--t

adriennek
05-18-2004, 12:02 PM
I searched "grocery store" on the Pad search and found this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=27588&highlight=grocery+store) from a few weeks ago and here's my post (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?p=382779) with a detailed list of the closest grocery stores to DLR.

I can't say for sure, but yes, I do believe there's a convenience store at Katella and Harbor. I want to say it's a 7-11.

Adrienne

sediment
05-18-2004, 12:03 PM
How much do you expect to buy? Water fountains are cheaper.
How much do you expect to save? How much is your whole trip costing?
I'd like to have some perspective before I can offer financial advice.

Also, Yahoo Maps can give you a good idea of the grocery stores in the area. However, all I could find were non-chains. I found one Ralphs at La Palma and Euclid.
Maybe a more local padder can be of assistance.
If you are driving into the area, I suggest buying in your own local area and driving with the non-perishables.

bduff
05-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Actually, my circumstances are that I'll be staying at the GCH in October for 5-6 nights, so it's not like I'm trying to go low budget. We'll eat lunches and dinners out, but if possible would eat breakfast in our room and would also like to have snacks + pop or beer/wine to enjoy in the room at night. I don't want to pay mini-bar prices for that and have been convinced from previous threads + off line discussions with several padders that concierge wouldn't be a good value for us. I hear that we should be able to have a mini-fridge put in the room (please tell me if that isn't right), so that got me to thinking about how to stock it. We'll be flying in, so don't want a lot of heavy or breakable stuff in luggage. We won't have a car, since we'll take a shuttle or taxi from the airport to DLR. Therefore, we need a place within walking distance to get milk, juice, snacks, etc. I'm thinking a 7-Eleven should work nicely. I haven't done this before, so I welcome comments from anyone in my situation who tried something else that works better.

And I could be wrong in guessing that others who ask about grocery stores are (like me) thinking more about pop and snacks than poultry and produce, but who knows.

sediment
05-18-2004, 02:11 PM
I think the 7-11 will be fine for snacks. Three-course meal? No.
1. It's open at all hours.
2. It's a relatively short walking distance.

Baked goods are available at the bakery in DTD near the Esplanade. Can't be too expensive. Even a muffin in DCA won't set you back much. Someone goes and buys them, then brings them back up. Should be a lot fresher than a Hostess muffin. Even pick one up the night before.

Hakuna Makarla
05-18-2004, 02:27 PM
You are like me, staying at a motel and wanting to get to a store for extra;s and not wanting to pay a fortune at the park. So here's a good place to start,
several motels have convient stores in them, mine does ( tropicana) and it says it has a mini mart, and a gift shop. so why not pop into one of the motels along Harbor? they have convient stores, and you save the long walk. This is what I plan on doing, and oh, by the way, have one of the kids carry a duffle bag, it can be loaded down with pretzels, chips, candy and lighter snacks. that way at least you will have some of the snacks with you and not have to buy to many more at a convient store. we plan on doing this, and buying water, juice and pops for the motel room at the mini mart in the hotel.
Your hotel does have refridgerators, so that makes it good to.
This is my first trip to so ask as many questions as you wish, these guys are great and are here to help you make your trip wonderful. I have asked so many questions that now I see questions posted on what I asked weeks ago LOL! Have a great time, get the book " the everything travel guide to Disneyland resort, its great and has a lot of info. **Karla

SCUBAbe
05-18-2004, 02:44 PM
I think I was on harbor, but we drove out past the Denny's and all the motels and I found a target. I just got my credit card bill and found out it was in Garden Grove. but it was not very far at all 5 to 10 min tops. They have snacks and soda there...maybe not beer, but I don't drink. Well, I do but only 1 to 2 drinks a year...anyway, GCH will bring up a fridge to your room.

adriennek
05-18-2004, 04:53 PM
I think I was on harbor, but we drove out past the Denny's and all the motels and I found a target. I just got my credit card bill and found out it was in Garden Grove. but it was not very far at all 5 to 10 min tops.

Yep, it's at the corner of Harbor and Chapman. It's about 2 miles up from DLR.

Adrienne

Darkbeer
05-18-2004, 07:41 PM
The "closest" Grocery Store to the resort is the Food 4 Less on Katella, about one mile west of the resort.... (Food 4 Less in SoCal is run by Ralphs/Kroger)

Cloud Buster
05-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Probably Food 4 Less at Brookhurst and Katella.

I believe this is in fact the closest location that would qualify as a grocery store. I'm not sure a Target store would meet the needs of the thread starter.

Cloud Buster
05-18-2004, 07:43 PM
The "closest" Grocery Store to the resort is the Food 4 Less on Katella, about one mile west of the resort.... (Food 4 Less in SoCal is run by Ralphs/Kroger)

^ You and I posted trying to say the same thing at the same time. ;)

luvsdca
05-18-2004, 08:00 PM
bduff,

Since you'll be staying at GCH, it would be very convenient for you to get breakfast and munchies at Whitewater. Nothing fancy but quite reasonable and tasty. We love the breakfast burritos and the french toast sticks. When we stayed there, one person picked up breakfast "to go" from Whitewater and brought it back up to our room. Then we had a very nice breakfast out on our balcony without paying room service prices!

And, for about $8 you can buy a re-fillable mug that will get you free refills of any of the softdrinks or coffee/tea at Whitewater Snacks for your entire stay at the hotel. (Although Whitewater closes early evening.)

Word of warning.. Be careful with "stocking" the in-room fridge. They only leave you a tiny area to store your own stuff, and a posted notice warned that there's some kind of electronic tracker that is supposed to automatically charge you for any item that you remove from the fridge!

Cloud Buster
05-18-2004, 08:10 PM
He's staying at GCH, but wants to find a grocery store to save money? This trip could have been planned better.... :cool:

SCUBAbe
05-18-2004, 08:34 PM
Word of warning.. Be careful with "stocking" the in-room fridge. They only leave you a tiny area to store your own stuff, and a posted notice warned that there's some kind of electronic tracker that is supposed to automatically charge you for any item that you remove from the fridge!

They'll bring a small fridge up to the room. You don't have to use the stocked one.

SCUBAbe
05-18-2004, 08:38 PM
I believe this is in fact the closest location that would qualify as a grocery store. I'm not sure a Target store would meet the needs of the thread starter.

Possibly not, but options are always good to have. I for one would never set foot in a food for less. Well, I did once...once was enough. I also don't like walmart, but target is tolerable.....so I would appreciate options maybe others would to..maybe not....LOL

Hakuna Makarla
05-19-2004, 04:21 AM
He's staying at GCH, but wants to find a grocery store to save money? This trip could have been planned better.... :cool:
gee wiz, can't a person stay some where nice and still save a buck? who's to say he did not plan ? give a guy a break!

Tinker Bell
05-19-2004, 07:35 AM
I do have to say one thing bout the fridge thing.My friend stayed at GCH once was told there is a small # of fridge that they can put in the rooms. The reg fridge charges you every time you move something in it.She was not able to get the other fridge because they were out of them. Keep this in mind.

bduff
05-19-2004, 08:33 AM
As to the inconsistency of trying to save money, yet staying at the GCH: that's a fair comment. For me, I had convenience in mind as much as the cost savings. I'd rather make one stop at a 7-Eleven and get most of the snacks/drinks we'd use during our stay rather than making morning and evening stops at the Whitewater each day. Especially in the morning, since I'm sure it would have to be me making that stop!

I understand how the fridge that is already in the room isn't much help for stocking your own stuff. Good to know that the extra fridge that is supposedly available on request may not actually be available, depending on demand for them at the time you check in. Guess you can plan all you want, but still need to be prepared to flex.

tracilicious
05-19-2004, 10:28 AM
actually, a target might be ok, but i'm not sure. my target doesn't carry soy milk, which i will probably want to buy. really i'm just looking for a place for a few sodas, snacks, water, etc.

thanks for all the info!