PDA

View Full Version : Riding the Monorail

Rae
05-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Does the monorail run all the time?? If not does anyone know the hours?

Can you go for a full loop of the park before the official opening or can you ride it from the shuttle drop off point to the DLR ( For an early character breakfast booking)

SoCalDisneyLover
05-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Monorail runs during park hours only, with last train departing the park towards Downtown Disney, 15 Minutes prior to park closing.

You can only take a Round Trip if you start in Disneyland. If you board at Downtown Disney, you will be required to disembark when you arrive at the park. This has something to do with their loading procedures I believe, and I am not sure if they ever make any exceptions, if perhaps it's a really slow day.

You could certainly board at Downtown Disney, and you will probably be at the Tommorowland station within 5 minutes of park opening in the morning.

Opus1guy
05-17-2004, 06:16 PM
A bit off-topic, but does anyone remember when they sold Round-Trip Monorail tickets from the Disneyland Hotel station that did not include park admission? Last I did it, I think it was $1.90. They'd lock you in the tail section so you couldn't get out in Tomorrowland. Was actually a real fun (but a bit rough) ride back there!

Problem was that on occasion when you returned to the Disneyland Hotel station, they forgot to let you out! And if you didn't pound on the window to get the attention of the exit hand-stamper...you went on another Round-Trip! :)

For a long time it was a specially printed carnival-roll type ticket exactly like the old individually purchased A-E tickets that were sold at ticket booths in each land. So buying one was a way to see what they looked like back then. The last year or two, they had fancier pre-printed passport type tickets for this. Being a ticket collector of sorts, I'd always drop by to purchase one to add to my collection.

Then one day not too many years ago I went up there to do it again and was told they no longer sold those or offered Disneyland Hotel originating Round-Trips any longer. :(

It was a great way to get a ride on the Monorail and also a little pre-view of Disneyland!

SoCalDisneyLover
05-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Sounds like an obvious money making opportunity to me. Perhaps they would not consider it if they need the capacity, but it seems to me that you could get quite a few people to pay $5 or so for a Round Trip ride.

Pirate Girl
05-17-2004, 07:48 PM
I could even help pay for some decent maintenance for the failing Monorails.

Cloud Buster
05-17-2004, 10:17 PM
A bit off-topic, but does anyone remember when they sold Round-Trip Monorail tickets from the Disneyland Hotel station that did not include park admission?

I do remember doing something like this -- however, I don't recall having to pay for it. I do remember being "locked" in the rear section so we couldn't get out, though.

cstephens
05-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Yep, I remember those tickets, though I can't remember how much it was. Never bought one myself, but I sold a few.

Werner
05-18-2004, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=Opus1guy]A bit off-topic, but does anyone remember when they sold Round-Trip Monorail tickets from the Disneyland Hotel station that did not include park admission? Last I did it, I think it was $1.90. They'd lock you in the tail section so you couldn't get out in Tomorrowland. Was actually a real fun (but a bit rough) ride back there!QUOTE]
:)
Opus1guy -- I did this ALL the time back when I was in school at Biola U (about 15 minutes north). It became my and my roommate's cheap diversion when we wanted to get away. This was back around 1992-1993. I think the ticket was about the same price as you mention. Anyway, what we'd do is go park at the D'land Hotel parking, then walk over to that bar they had at the marina, and I'd buy a cup of coffee for $2.50 or something -- and would get the parking validated for four hours I believe. We had a whole liturgy of activity -- going through the Bonita Tower waterfalls, strolling around the grounds, maybe buying a cookie at the little sub-terranian place called "Minnie's Kitchen" or something like that, before boarding our private monorail car which we affectionately dubbed "The Bubble". The best part is we'd time it in such a way that we'd board just before the fireworks at 9:30pm, and then the coolest effect was when we'd lay down on the bench seats as the monorail was traversing the northernmost reaches of the track behind the sub lagoon, paralleling the railroad tracks, and watch the fireworks as they seemingly fell down and around the plexiglass (?) "bubble" in which we rode. Very cool!

Opus1guy
05-28-2004, 05:12 PM
And here's another Monorail blast from the past, that those of you that ever stayed at the Disneyland Hotel back in the old A thru E days will probably remember if you first entered Disneyland at Tommorowland Station from the hotel.

When you boarded the Monorail at the Disneyland Hotel station, you had to give up 2 tickets. Your Disneyland Admission Ticket and an "E" ticket to take you to Tomorrowland Station.

So...how you gonna get back to the hotel at the end of the day? Fork over another valuable "E" ticket? Nope. They gave you a special little Monorail Hotel Return Ticket to use to get back and get the full "round-trip" value out of your original "E" ticket. Was a carnival type coupon.

Take a peek:

http://members.aol.com/opus1guy/uploads/monohotelreturn.jpg