PDA

View Full Version : Got a digital camera? I have an idea for you.

tod
05-17-2004, 08:18 AM
When you get out of your car, take a picture of the closest sign that defines where you are. You then have a record of where you parked, with practically no effort.

This just occurred to me when I got out of my car yesterday....

--t

sediment
05-17-2004, 08:20 AM
Or take a wide shot a bit farther away. That will take in the many parked cars, some of which should be still there at the end of the day.

Pat-n-Eil
05-17-2004, 08:21 AM
When you get out of your car, take a picture of the closest sign that defines where you are. You then have a record of where you parked, with practically no effort.

This just occurred to me when I got out of my car yesterday....

--t
Nice. Be sure you have extra batteries though.. committing things to digital instead of to your memory can be precarious :)

scaeagles
05-17-2004, 08:46 AM
committing things to digital instead of to your memory can be precarious :)

Not if you have my memory. I'll take my chance with the batteries.

SCUBAbe
05-17-2004, 10:41 AM
Nice. Be sure you have extra batteries though.. committing things to digital instead of to your memory can be precarious :)

I love this idea! Last time we went we for got to look where we parked. We thought we were on daisy and thats all we knew...LOL..as far as batteries go , after learning the hardway, I never leave home withhout at least 3 sets of re-chargeables. :)

Polar33
05-17-2004, 11:32 PM
Forgive me for taking the low-tech way out...but wouldn't it be a whole lot easier just circling the same info on the parking receipt stub thingy that is handed out upon entry?

Cloud Buster
05-17-2004, 11:37 PM
I use the voice memo feature on my Cell phone.

TP2000
05-18-2004, 01:15 AM
Forgive me for taking the low-tech way out...but wouldn't it be a whole lot easier just circling the same info on the parking receipt stub thingy that is handed out upon entry?

I agree. That's how my family has always done it, since about the mid 1960's.

donatello3000
05-18-2004, 02:29 AM

Or even more low-tech... instead of actually taking a writing utensil... I just punch a hole through the letter and number of the section in which I parked. Works fine every time.

I think tod's point, though, was just in case you lose that paper slip. Lots of times I forget it in the car anyway. I'm more likely to remember taking my digicam and cell phone with me. I usually just save a draft of a text message on my phone... never really thought of taking a picture. Good idea, tod. Do whatever you need to do to help you remember where to find your car.

tod
05-18-2004, 04:58 AM

Yeah, it is, and often just the act of writing it down is enough to commit it to memory. The trouble -- especially for me, because I go to Disneyland a lot --- is that parking places in Mickey and Friends tend to all look alike. They fuzz together and I will go to the place I parked last week instead of earlier today. The old trick of looking at the Disneyland Hotel, and the Park, and memorizing your location doesn't work like it did in the parking lot.

So when I got out of my car the other day with my brand-new digital camera, and I was looking around for a sign with the coordinates on it, inspiration struck.

And I thought I'd share it.

--T

Moonliner
05-18-2004, 06:41 AM
All I do is call the police and report the car stolen. I then wait for them to activate the lojack tacking system and just follow the squad-car to my vehicle. Works like a charm.

Kevy Baby
05-18-2004, 09:35 AM
I just go hang out in the AP Lounge until closing and then there are hardly any cars left. Makes finding mine real easy.

DisneyDaniel
05-18-2004, 10:10 AM
I just go hang out in the AP Lounge until closing and then there are hardly any cars left. Makes finding mine real easy.

What AP Lounge? Is there an Annual Passholders Lounge at the Disneyland Resort or is that just a humorous comment? Thanks!

tod
05-18-2004, 10:19 AM
What AP Lounge? Is there an Annual Passholders Lounge at the Disneyland Resort or is that just a humorous comment? Thanks!

They're ad hoc lounges, not official. The Cove Bar at DCA and The Hearthstone Lodge at GCH are the two most often mentioned.

--t

Kevy Baby
05-18-2004, 11:32 AM
What AP Lounge? Is there an Annual Passholders Lounge at the Disneyland Resort or is that just a humorous comment? Thanks!In an effort to stop the whole lounge argument before it begins (this isn't the place for it), read this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=25648).

I think 3894's post near the end of the thread summed it up pretty good:
Okay, so this is how I'm reading this thread:

- Many of the Annual Pass holders here at MousePad like to relax in the Grand Californian Hotel lobby, although they are not staying in the hotel. Management seems okay with this. Many patronize the bar/restaurant. The people in the lobby are a diverse lot - all ages and types. Management seems okay with this.

- This is a pricey hotel. Some MousePadders who do not frequent the Grand Californian Hotel lobby are surprised that management is okay with this.

Personal attacks aside, is this about right?

Gemini Cricket
05-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Not if you have my memory. I'll take my chance with the batteries.You said that before. Don't you remember?
:fez:

Gemini Cricket
05-18-2004, 11:41 AM
You then have a record of where you parked, with practically no effort.
I used this same idea when we were in Paris. We went to the cemetary where Jim Morrison was buried and the docents did not have any maps to hand out. So, we took a picture of a posted metal sign that said where everyone was and we used the camera's zoom to locate everyone we wanted to pay our respects to.
It's a good idea.
:)

ralfrick
05-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Good thought to keep in mind.

And if you ever fly to OC after work and drive straight to the stadium to see Paul McCartney, take a moment to notice what the rental car looks like BEFORE going in to your seat. Wish I'd had a digital image of it after the show.

tod
05-19-2004, 10:26 AM
Maybe neither of these is true, but I found them amusing:

1. One day, somebody decided to give all red Ford Fiestas front-row parking in Bambi Section. (He just wanted to have a row of shiny red cars, I guess.) Turns out red Ford Fiestas were almost always rental cars, so there was an all-day line of confused Guests moving from car to car looking for theirs.

2. A tourist woman decided that she had had enough and left Disneyland in the late afternoon. She couldn't find her car, so she asked the Parking Lot CMs for help. They asked her what section she had parked in. She didn't know.

They asked her what time she had come in, because they keep records of what time they park what section just for occasions like this. She didn't remember.

They asked her to describe the car, so they could take out a cart and help her find it. She didn't know. It was a rental.

The park didn't close until 1 am that night, and she was there till 3, when there were only a few cars in the lot.

--t
Presented for your amusement, as they were once presented for mine by a Parking Lot CM. Veracity may be limited.

Demigod121
05-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Being as I worked in Security a few months last year, I can tell you that this happens quite frequently.

One night we had one of our lot guards drive some person around in the structure for hours trying to find their rental car.

Kevy Baby
05-19-2004, 05:18 PM
And if you ever fly to OC after work and drive straight to the stadium to see Paul McCartney, take a moment to notice what the rental car looks like BEFORE going in to your seat. Wish I'd had a digital image of it after the show.ROFL

I've had that happen (not at a concert, but many other occassions).

Don't they put the license # on the tag (attached to the key) any more?

sediment
05-19-2004, 07:00 PM
DCA usually closes earlier than DL.

ralfrick
05-21-2004, 07:08 AM
ROFL

I've had that happen (not at a concert, but many other occassions).

Don't they put the license # on the tag (attached to the key) any more?

That number on the tag is the only thing that kept us from being in the lot until sunrise.

MickeyLumbo
05-22-2004, 02:28 PM

--t

great idea, tod. sounds better than my current method. i leave the wife in the car. at the end of the day, i roam around and yell "honey?" until she say's "over here, sweetheart."

what a gal! :p