PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Hotel Water Show?

mkyears
05-16-2004, 05:43 PM
OK Was at The Disneyland Hotel on Friday Night with my gf and for the first time I witnessed there little water show. Now I understand that this show is low budget but dang. I mean for Disney this show seems really outdated they were playing the captain EO song for godness sake. Some of the lights were not working etc. I just thought it was a kind of sad spectacle people were all watching but most of them did not seem excited about this show. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed how outdated and boring this show is.

DisneyFan25863
05-16-2004, 06:14 PM
Welcome to the Disney of the Future.

Disney Vault
05-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Where can i see pictures of this. I always stay at wilderness lodge and have never seen it.

Not Afraid
05-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Where can i see pictures of this. I always stay at wilderness lodge and have never seen it.
This is at the DLR.

Klutch
05-16-2004, 07:03 PM
That water show is one of the few things at the Disneyland Hotel that survived the DCA renovation. During my last visit, I was having a hard time getting a perspective as to where things used to be. My uncle showed me where the pool and lagoon once were then took me over to the water show. Personally, I think it's classic, rather than outdated. I've don't recall the Captain EO soundtrack. I remember more of a Fantasia-like musical score.

It's too bad some of the lights weren't working. The water show is very nice and relaxing when it's well maintained.

This reminds me of the days when we used to drive down West Street and I'd watch the Monorail pass by overhead from the back seat of our '68 Firebird, then '73 Ford LTD Country Squire wagon (with wood grain paneling on the sides). "Those were the days..." :)

GoldenEars
05-16-2004, 08:19 PM
I remember seeing the *Fantasy Water* show when I was in high school. But back then, it was called the *Dancing Waters* and the show had 2 men who actually controlled all the movements the water did...it was ALL done by their hands. And, the music that was heard back then was not Disney music, it was pop music (of that era) and some patriotic songs at the end. It was actually very good and I really enjoyed it.

However, when Disney actually took over the Disneyland Hotel, they got rid of the 2 men and made the show all computerized and changed the music to all Disney tunes. In addition, Disney added a Christmas show during the holiday period.

I remember hearing it was down for an extensive rehab a while back ago, and so I wanted to make sure I saw it again when it came back up. I was thinking they would have updated it or something. But 2 weeks ago I was there to see it and it's the exact same thing.

So even tho MKyears is correct, cuz the show is very out-dated. I also agree with Klutch and saying it's also a classic too! It's nice being able to go to the D-land Hotel and find something there that was not taken away from all the extensive expansion that Disney did. I too, feel it's very relaxing and a little nostalgic when I see it now. But then again, I'm big on being very sentimental on certain things...especially when it has to do with Disney!

Patrick :)

Zigen
05-16-2004, 09:36 PM
From someone who doesnt go to DLH much, I thought it was a good show. It's not fantasmic quality but what is? It's worth seeing at least once IMO. My little ones liked it. During the show, I remember saying to myself, what a wonder spot to get romantic with someone. There's a gazeebo nearby, koi pond, waterfalls, and no big crowds. Great place to hold someones hand while strolling around and looking at the sights.

05-17-2004, 05:37 AM
We saw it in '98. I'd stayed in the DL Hotel many times and had never seen it before.

My husband and I thought it was sadly maintained but our girls (4 and 7 at the time) just loved it. All in all, a sweet and old-fashioned keeper.

spectromen
05-17-2004, 07:52 AM
That explains why there's a sort of "podium" off to the side where a LIVE body used to be! What a shame that position was cut.
A keeper indeed, but how hard would it be to integrate newer tunes into the show? C'mon, no DLH guest knows where "Someone's Waiting for You" came from! LOL

Opus1guy
05-17-2004, 08:14 AM
the show had 2 men who actually controlled all the movements the water did...it was ALL done by their hands.

Yep. One was the water artist and the other was the lighting artist. And Dancing Waters was closed 2 days a week when these artists had their days off!

What I really loved about those days where that those 2 gentlemen always told you the history about Dancing Water shows...how the tradition went back hundreds of years to the great Palaces and Kings of Europe and such. And how (back then) the Disneyland Hotel's was the only one in the U.S. And it really was an art form as you never got the same show twice. The operators' changes in lighting and performance could really change the mood of the same piece of music.

Of course when the hotel went automated, they no longer had to worry about days off or sick days, etc, etc.

Today, many other venues far out-surpass the Disneyland Hotel's show. Like the Bellagio in Vegas. But for over decade, Disneyland Hotel's Dancing Waters show was truly unique and something you never saw before, here in the U.S. at least.

CoasterMatt
05-17-2004, 08:30 AM
Unless you went to Sea World

Photographer
05-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Last August (?) I stayed at DLH and some of the lights were out too. I think Pluto was completely in the dark. It seemed sad to have a decent sized crowd watching something else Disney doesn't maintain. :(

Opus1guy
05-17-2004, 10:41 AM
I didn't know about the Sea World one. A brouchure I have from the Disneyland Hotel hypes theirs as being the only one in the U.S. direct from some 1960s Canadian Expo or something. Must have just been Wrather marketing hype I guess.

ZenMickey
05-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Sea World had a great "Water Fantasy" show in the 60's and 70's. It had its own large air-conditioned theater, a nice retreat from the heat. It was one of my favorites growing up.

I recently saw the DH's Water Holiday show this past December, and enjoyed it very much. Maybe because it was the seasonal show, but everything was working and in fine shape- it wasn't outdated or boring. Everyone got a kick out of it, kids and adults alike.

I say it's a classic. From the sound of it, they do need to maintain the regular show and keep it in form. It is one of those "small" Disney touches (heck, its a free show!) that need to be kept around.

Opus1guy
05-17-2004, 11:42 AM
I agree it's a classic and one of those nice "little things" that add a touch of needed charm to the place.

My only complaint is that in the daylight, the whole area there is pretty much an eyesore. Just a big concrete bunker with all the rusty nozzles and such showing. They should wheel in a little train of planters or something to spruce the place up and hide some of the show elements for the daylight crowd, or something. IMHO.

Disney Vault
05-17-2004, 01:42 PM
i have been searching everywhere but it seems people dont take pictures.

MR.J
05-17-2004, 06:01 PM
I just thought it was a kind of sad spectacle people were all watching but most of them did not seem excited about this show. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed how outdated and boring this show is.

What do you expect from a free show ;) . I was also there on friday night and some young looking Rodney Dangerfield was in my way, so I couldn't watch the show. :p ;)

05-18-2004, 07:21 AM

It would be tough to get a good picture. The show consists of a shallow pool or fountain with a concrete backdrop maybe 20 feet high. Jets of water leap or "dance" to music. Colored spotlights are trained on the dancing water. That's it.

Not Afraid
05-18-2004, 08:00 AM
There is a place in San Pedro called Dancing Waters. It is from about the same era of the DL Hotel Water Show (and the Tiki Room for that matter). I remember these "water Shows" being a big deal when I was a kid - lots of oooh and aaah factor.

The last time I was at Dancing Waters was for a punk show in the 80's. There's just not the interest in water shows anymore.

disneyscott
05-18-2004, 08:09 AM
Does anyone have show times for this weekend show?

rripley
05-18-2004, 09:03 AM
http://www.disneylandpostcards.com/hotelwaters.jpg
from Disneyland Postcards: The Hotels (http://www.disneylandpostcards.com/hotels.html).

Disney Vault
05-18-2004, 01:43 PM
that is so cool looking. I have to check that out during my next visit.

disneyscott
05-18-2004, 06:48 PM
I called and found out the shows are at 8pm and 9pm every day of the week

mkyears
05-18-2004, 09:53 PM
actually my girlfriend and I did like the gazeebo it's just I thought the show was a little rusty. Mr J. What's this about a young Rodney Dangerfield do explain.

tink1234
05-19-2004, 07:02 AM
I LOVED the waters! BTW, how do you get to the underground, secluded area? My whole family is going in Dec. over Christmas, DH and I, our 4 children, my parents, my siblings...you get the picture. Anyway, it would be nice to find a quiet spot for a few moments. ;)