PDA

View Full Version : The New Disney(land) Slogan, 'Was that it?'

MonorailMan
05-15-2004, 09:10 PM
I just realized how much we've been asking that question, in the last few years:

"Was that it?" - New Tomorrowland
"Was that it?" - Opening DCA
"Was that it?" - Winnie the Pooh
"Was that it?" - Tower's Ride Length
"Was that it?" - 50th Details

It just seems as if Disney can't deliver the goods lately. No BIG action taken in the last few years has been given that special Disney touch.

Laffite
05-15-2004, 09:33 PM
MonorailMan, my old friend, don't you think your model of Disneyland is more negative orientated than the postitive? There are still plenty of things to enjoy.

MonorailMan
05-15-2004, 11:29 PM
There are still plenty of things to enjoy.
True. However, I'm in a bad mood, it wasn't a good day.

I have really nothing to bag on, but DCA, Disneyland, and other stuff, at least nothing that requires any major thought. Maybe I need to compain to the DMV, for not allowing appointments for the 16 of June, yet. Maybe I could complain to the cat, for throwing up today. Maybe I could compain to my History teacher, for giving me a B on an assignment. Maybe I could compain about not being able to fully (as in, more than 1) express myself, unless I chosse you use LOUD BRIGHT COLORS. After all, I'm doing nothing tomorrow, and where the heck do I spend all my time, on some Disneyland forum, discussing the same Fastpass tricks a thousand times, or giving out information for the 100th time? What ever happend to all my interests, what ever happend to my life!? Wait, it never existed, it was spent at work!

Maybe I could compain to the people at work, for not giving me any respect, as I quit my job. Afterall, It's my choice to QUIT, and if they don't want to respect my decision, and treat me like a fool, and complain about me quitting, me going on and chaning my life, and me wanting to do better. Is that all the better that they think that I can do, is work for a whopping $.50 over minimum wage, and fix their problems, and wait on them, hand and foot, and do stuff that's way outside my jon desciption. And their not thankful for having me for the last 3 and a half years? Noooooo, all they do is compain about me leaving, and how bad everything will be. Let's not do anything, but compain when Hastin leaves. Afterall, he doesn't need to do better in life, and enjoy his senior year, no. He needs to stay in this hole, and just continue to keep on keeping on, and fixing all their computer problems.

Then theirs the people that come in. Most of them are charming and nice, and I'm willing to help. Then there's the other people. First, you have the people who are always right. They brought it back on time, they are all good. We may have waved over $300000+ in their fines, but their never late, and it's always MY problem, because I am the young, inexperienced one. Then theirs are internet patrons. Well, some are good. Then there's the "well, we wrote down 1 pm, but we didn't start 'till 3 pm." Yea, and I've clearly seen you on for the last 4 hours, but that's impossible. Then there's all the people that need help. Showing them how to get online fine, and showing them how to open Word, fine. No, I will not step you though the process of creating a 23 page newsletter. No, I will not respond to your "It doesn't work! You did something wrong! My document closed, and now you have to fix it for me!". YOU clicked the red X. But because I have a job, and I'm here for you, I ahve to give you a cource on Windows. No, I will NOT type your paper, or look up your "collectables" (that are nothing but Junk!).

Then there's ---------, who comes in everyday. All your buisness transactions, always trying to scam someone. Your little contracts, and your little games. Your Surveys, your "university", your "church", and your "modeling school". And that "case" your building aginist the Library, it's all phoney. Oh, we vioate so many rules. Your just mad, because our former Manager, ---------, waited on you hand and foot, and gave you privilges. But now, she's gone, and your mad, because you can't use are supplies as yours. Oh, it's too bad --------, you can't use the phone. Were on to you, we've seen your "case", and your really nothing but a fool. Plus, your crazy, writing to the Governor, thinking that he's just going to give you keys to the Library, well, he's not. Plus, guess what? The county's not going to listen to you one bit, 2 words: Form Letter. If your going to complain, don't write to us, about how we are bad, on OUR paper. But if you leave, where will you type up your scams?

But soon, that will all be over. Goodbye staff, goodbye patrons, hello staying home, and having more fun! The fun starts next saturday, my first saturday off in over 3 years, and I'll enjoy every minute of it!

To take this full circle, yea, I'll look at the brighter side of things, when I get this huge burden off my back. http://members.aol.com/mreurodisney/images/mad.gif There, it's used!

Disneyfreak
05-15-2004, 11:32 PM
Very true. The last time I said wow in Disneyland was when Indy first opened. :(

zapppop
05-16-2004, 12:18 AM
I've said wow quite a few times lately but for different reasons.

Tomorrowland 1998 Wow! What were they thinking?!
California Adventure Wow ! Is this it?!
Winnie the Pooh Wow! Is that their idea of quality family entertainment ?! Tower Of Terror Wow! Better not blink !!
50th Anniv. Plans Wow ! Why don't they drag the whole damn company into the celebration while they're at it and invite Universal Studios too ?!

cstephens
05-16-2004, 03:44 AM
Never mind.

Pat-n-Eil
05-16-2004, 07:18 AM
Well...
Maybe this will help, but when I've said WOW a few times in the past few years in a positive way..

Grand Californian (espeically the Lobby): Wow!
My first ride on Soarin' over California: Wow!
My first ride on California Screamin': Wow!
The price of my check at Storyteller's Cafe: Wow!

:)

merlinjones
05-16-2004, 08:33 AM
I love your slogan, Monorail Man - - can we reprint your Is That it? post at SaveDisney.com?

JeffG
05-16-2004, 09:33 AM
I love your slogan, Monorail Man - - can we reprint your Is That it? post at SaveDisney.com?

That seems appropriate. "Was that it?" is almost always how I react to Roy Disney and Stanley Gold's suggestions (or lack thereof...) for fixing the company.

-Jeff

innerSpaceman
05-16-2004, 09:41 AM
I've said WOW a few times in the past few years in a positive way...My first ride on Soarin' over California: Wow! My first ride on California Screamin': Wow!
Emphasis added by me to denote that while I still have a wow reaction to many Disneyland attractions, I have not had a wow reaction to the above-mentioned highlights of DCA since my first time experiencing each of them.

To which I have to say: Is that it?

Pat-n-Eil
05-16-2004, 01:34 PM
I still say wow the first time I ride them each trip (and even other times), so the emphasis on the first time is truly yours.

BryanPeek
05-16-2004, 04:59 PM
I, personally, am pumped for the 50th after hearing about the stuff they have planned. I can't wait, it will be the most magical and best time I go. July 10, to July 18...What a week it'll be.

The new parade and firework show..Excellent. I think they are getting back on track, I think they were on track awhile ago with Winnie the Pooh. That's just my opinion.

merlinjones
05-16-2004, 09:14 PM
Jeff said: >>That seems appropriate. "Was that it?" is almost always how I react to Roy Disney and Stanley Gold's suggestions (or lack thereof...) for fixing the company.<<

Jeff! After all these years of defending management, you've finally admitted the company needs to be fixed! Well done.

Wesley815
05-17-2004, 07:33 AM
True. However, I'm in a bad mood, it wasn't a good day.Sounds like you haven't had many jobs in your life... many big companies treat their employees the exact same way you described. It's part of life. Hopefully you'll find somewhere better though.

As for Disney, if you take on a negative attitude towards everything then you will never be happy with anything. At least that's my POV, I try to remain optimistic and positive instead of living in the past creating a living hell for myself.

CoasterMatt
05-17-2004, 08:03 AM
I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience :D

merlinjones
05-17-2004, 08:51 AM
>>As for Disney, if you take on a negative attitude towards everything then you will never be happy with anything. At least that's my POV, I try to remain optimistic and positive instead of living in the past creating a living hell for myself.<<

That's just what they want you to think, so you'll go along with whatever they dish out. That's how the company sunk so low to date, too many people didn't fight or complain when things we're changing/slipping.

Cadaverous Pallor
05-17-2004, 09:40 AM
Hastin, I am SO sorry to hear about your crappy job experience. I'm glad you've made up your mind to move on. Eventually, in a situation like that, one realizes it's not going to get any better and that it's not worth the stress. I did the same thing when I quit my higher paying office job to do something I actually cared about.

I'm also super sorry that this happened in the library! :crying:

Let's not do anything, but compain when Hastin leaves. Afterall, he doesn't need to do better in life, and enjoy his senior year, no. He needs to stay in this hole, and just continue to keep on keeping on, and fixing all their computer problems.This is totally par for the course at jobs where they work you to death and you get nothing for it. Please don't expend one iota of concern over what it'll be like for them once you leave. You need to do the things you listed. I got the same crap - the place will fall apart without you, etc. Screw them, they deserve their fate.

The fun starts next saturday, my first saturday off in over 3 years, and I'll enjoy every minute of it!http://members.aol.com/mreurodisney/images/eek.gif Are you kidding? Insanity! At your age, this is ridiculous. Get outside and PLAY, for God's sake. Three years?!

I hope you enjoy your WELL-DESERVED rest. :)

cryan71
05-17-2004, 10:40 AM
I always thought the new slogan is:

Disneyland, Love it or Leave it

DBJ
05-17-2004, 12:23 PM
I think part of the frustration with Disney and their treatment of the parks can be summed up using a Lord Of The Rings reference. Remember when Frodo is told that if he doesn't take the responsibility for destroying the ring, then no one will? That, essentially, is the what has become of Disney.

Disney is the only theme park company in the world that has the financial and creative resources to truly blow people away with their theme parks. No one else can touch them. So when Disney takes the minimum route and does not use the full potential, it is frustrating because if Disney doesn't do it, then nobody will. Disney knows they can give very little because they don't have any direct challenger and the crowds, faced with no other alternative, will continue to show up.

JeffG
05-17-2004, 06:12 PM
Jeff! After all these years of defending management, you've finally admitted the company needs to be fixed! Well done.

You haven't really read too many of my posts, have you? I think there are many things wrong with the way that Disney is being run right now and have said so on numerous occasions. I've also said on several occasions that I believe that Michael Eisner has become more of a detriment to the company than an asset and that it really is time to bring in some new leadership. I do think that Roy Disney and Stanley Gold are engaged in a poorly organized, unprofessional and largely self-serving campaign that really sounds more like a personal vendetta than anything resembling constructive ideas on how to revive the company.

I do think that many of those posting on these and other similar boards go >way< over the top and become excessively personal in their criticisms. I also tend to be a realist when it comes to business matters and I also am not one to get overly caught up in nostalgia. I also will openly acknowledge that my tastes with regards to what is good or bad at Disney likely differ from some of the more vocal posters here on some topics, particularly with regards to DCA.

There are a lot of shades of grey with regards to points of view regarding the Disney company and its output. I don't have a lot of tolerance for those that seem to try to shovel everything into black and white terms.

-Jeff

merlinjones
05-17-2004, 09:58 PM
TV commercial:

Peggy Lee sings:

"Is that all there is?
Is that all there is?
Is that all there is, my friend?
Then let's keep dancing...
Let's break out the booze and have a ball;
Since that's all there is."

announcer: