PDA

View Full Version : A question for DCA haters

Pages : [1] 2

RickW
05-15-2004, 09:14 AM
As I was reading yet another thread that attracted posts from all of you DCA haters, I got to wondering . . . do DCA haters ever go to DCA? Tell the truth now!

zapppop
05-15-2004, 09:44 AM
Yes, master. http://members.aol.com/mreurodisney/images/rolleyes.gif

Not Afraid
05-15-2004, 10:26 AM
I don't know any DCA haters. Maybe try another place.

cemeinke
05-15-2004, 10:37 AM
It's not that we're "DCA haters" it's just that we are "RickW Annoyers" - how are we doing by the way?

Darkbeer
05-15-2004, 10:39 AM
I hate liver!

HBTiggerFan
05-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Hate is such a dirty word.....

Disney Vault
05-15-2004, 01:04 PM
This may sound crazt to people who hate DCA but i would rather spend a day in DCA than in Disney/MGM Studios in WDW.

Germboy
05-15-2004, 01:52 PM
. . . do DCA haters ever go to DCA?

Yes! I go right before the Electrical Parade, sit near the exit, and leave right when it ends.

I try as much as possible to ignore the goofball announcement talking about "A true California Original" or whatever the corporate psychobabble is, then I try to ignore the alteration of the classic Jack Wagner introduction, and I pretend I'm sitting on Main Street at Disneyland across the way.

I think that "if I wish hard enough and believe strongly enough," maybe someday the parade will return home to Disneyland. And just maybe, I'll be able to order a Carnation Ice Crean banana split and hand-mixed vanilla Coke once again.

And that's the truth! :)

blusilva
05-15-2004, 05:19 PM
As I was reading yet another thread that attracted posts from all of you DCA haters, I got to wondering . . . do DCA haters ever go to DCA? Tell the truth now!

I renewed my AP last July. I haven't been to DCA yet on this renewal. I doubt I will before it expires.

BTW, as I mentioned in the other thread; I don't hate DCA any more than I hate Knott's (which I last went to in the early 90s), Universal (ditto) or Magic Mountain (which I went to last year for a friends birthday. First time I'd been there since the early 90s). I just don't enjoy much of what it has to offer. I'd rather spend my time in Disneyland.

And exactly what do you get out of asking such a question, Rick? Tell the truth now!

poohray
05-15-2004, 05:23 PM
I am not so much as DCA hater but a Disney Sea envier. Disney sea and DCA were built at the same time but the DCA turned out to be carnival park while Disney sea tokyo became Walts vision carried out to reality. I go to DCa for the GRR to get a cool off and to loop on a rollercoaster that has no disney themeing (hidden mickeys dont count as themeing) I go to DCA for 3d movies I can get to watch in other Disney theme parks and generally go there if I want out of the Disny magic an into a southern california carnival. Soaring is an overated ride (not really a ride just a movie where the seats swing a bit) so yeah I go to DCA for GRR, screamin, and ToT, well worth the fifty dollar admission (not) more like 25 ticket at the most. 7.50 for each ride instead of 15.00 value the day ticket gives.

merlinjones
05-15-2004, 07:49 PM
>>do DCA haters ever go to DCA? Tell the truth now!<<

I can proudly say I have never once paid admission to go to DCA. If there were a Disneyland only AP, I would never go to DCA - - but they force me to include it, so... As it is, I may dash in and out to see if anything has changed. When I see that it hasn't, and it's still as ugly as ever, I leave. I make it a point to never spend money there. Though I did buy an overpriced cocktail and some nachos at the Pier bar when The Monkees had a concert at DCA way back when... the service was miserable, confused and cranky.
:)

WaltAddict
05-15-2004, 10:27 PM
I don’t see myself as a DCA hater but as a Walt activist. I think Walt would be embarrassed by the actions of the Disney Corporation. It is my belief that Walt would like the idea of a new park, but I do not believe he would support a park with such little imagination or creativity. So far the only original ride at the park is SOC.

“When we opened Disneyland, a Lot of people got the impression that it was a get-rich-quick thing, but they didn’t realize that behind Disneyland was this great organization that I built here at the studio, and they all got into it and we were doing it because we loved to do it” -Walt Disney-

I think the Disney Corporation that we have now, is not the same Disney Corporation of the past. I think they have lost the Disney flair. The ”magic.” What I believe made Disneyland is, well for lack of a better word, Disneyland. They failed to capture the magic of Disney in their new park, and I think this is why so many people like me don’t hate DCA but we hate the lack of the Disney way.

“Get a good idea, and stay with it. Dog it, and work at it until its done, and DONE RIGHT.” -Walt Disney-

Germboy
05-15-2004, 11:28 PM
I agree completely.

If I wanted to go ride a roller coaster, I wouldn't think of a Disney park. I'd go to Magic Mountain or Knott's, where coasters are what made them famous. If I wanted to go on a "roaring rapids" type ride and spend my day soaked, I'd so to Raging Waters. If I'm a Disneyland fanatic, why would I go all the way to Disneyland to visit DCA?

Here's a dumb analogy: If they took all of the rides out of Disneyland and replaced them with retail outlets, I would be angry. But someone who loves shopping malls would jump for joy and ask why I'm not also jumping for joy.

I don't "hate" DCA...although I will say that it embodies everything that is wrong with what Disney has become. To say that Walt would never have allowed it to be built is an understatement. It is a bunch of off the shelf carnival rides without theme or creativity.

It also detracts from Disneyland. One of the best features of Disneyland was the convenience of its parking lot right outside the gate. And the anticipation of actually seeing the front gate from your car added to the thrill. The park was designed to "flow" like a movie. That crucial element is now gone...as is the central focus of the Disneyland hub and Main St.

And I too, have never paid to enter DCA and never will. I can't help it if my AP subsidizes that park. Part of me enjoys the fact that some people actually like DCA and feel they are getting a bargain--that's fewer people at Disneyland and that's a good thing! :)

Pat-n-Eil
05-16-2004, 07:33 AM
I go to DCa for the GRR to get a cool off and to loop on a rollercoaster that has no disney themeing (hidden mickeys dont count as themeing).
I wouldn't consider the huge Mickey Head behind the loop to be hidden. Maybe it's just me.

dude
05-16-2004, 07:38 AM
I wouldn't consider the huge Mickey Head behind the loop to be hidden. Maybe it's just me.

Yeah if you want hidden, go on ToT, get in line for shaft 1 (the one in the left corner) on the bottom level, look into the corner at the lights in the ceiling. They shine onto the grating in the hidden mickey formation. Quite funny.

But I don't hate DCA, I just really dislike it. Especially when it first opened. They offered "Disneyland Only" AP's and I took it, after seeing what I saw in the AP preview of the park. Things have improved, with the opening of Millionaire and the ToT, but the rest of the park is no good. I spend all my time in DCA in the HPB.

With all that being said, its kind of ironic that I am going to be working in DCA...

Not Afraid
05-16-2004, 10:10 AM
DCA = more food choices.

At least now I can add TOT to the list.

daannzzz
05-16-2004, 10:10 AM
I often get lumped in with DCA haters because I am so critical of what was done with this important peice of propterty..or should I say what wasn't done. I don't hate DCA but am very disappointed in it. A lot of it. But there are some good parts as well. I do go to DCA on every trip to Anaheim. I spend time in the areas i like on on attractions I like but it is difficult to ignore all the missed opportunities and attempts to disguise inexpensive amusement park rides as high quality Disney attractions that are so blantant along with poor choices (and execution) of theme.
My main complaint is the choice of the theme for the park.

Silly Spook
05-16-2004, 08:47 PM
I often get lumped in with DCA haters because I am so critical of what was done with this important peice of propterty..or should I say what wasn't done. I don't hate DCA but am very disappointed in it. A lot of it. But there are some good parts as well. I do go to DCA on every trip to Anaheim. I spend time in the areas i like on on attractions I like but it is difficult to ignore all the missed opportunities and attempts to disguise inexpensive amusement park rides as high quality Disney attractions that are so blantant along with poor choices (and execution) of theme.
My main complaint is the choice of the theme for the park.

In a desperate attempt to make Disneyland a "resort" like WDW, it hastily chose a theme that was unique. After all, if they built another Disney MGM or EPCOT at Disneyland, why not just go to Florida? However, in spite of it's uniqueness and adaptability to attractions from GRR to TOT, there is no way to earn the respect of the people who patronize the parks the most: the locals! Therefore, no amount of 2-fer's could revive interest in this bad idea. Only the hotel guests and AP's go to DCA. The Electrical Parade does not belong at California Adventure!

Does that mean DCA's attractions are no fun. NO! I love most of them and have alot of fun taking my annual pass there, but I only do one or two attractions and return to the REAL Disneyland experience where the MAGIC is.

Just my humble oppinion,

Robby

CoasterMatt
05-16-2004, 09:04 PM
Well said, Robby

3IdAlienKid
05-16-2004, 09:28 PM
originally posted by Germboy
It also detracts from Disneyland. One of the best features of Disneyland was the convenience of its parking lot right outside the gate. And the anticipation of actually seeing the front gate from your car added to the thrill. The park was designed to "flow" like a movie. That crucial element is now gone...as is the central focus of the Disneyland hub and Main St.
My sentiments exactly!

I love what John Hench was quoted as saying when he was asked what he thought of DCA -- "I liked it better when it was a parking lot."

And yes, I still go to DCA anyway (to visit Soarin').

cryan71
05-16-2004, 10:20 PM
http://www.ryano.net/iraq/img/7/739576.jpg

Germboy
05-17-2004, 12:21 AM
OH MY GAWD!!!!

Where did that come from? Is that real???

HA HA HA HA HA :D :D :D :) ;)

DisneylandForever
05-17-2004, 05:22 AM
I go to DCA and get a fast pass for Soarin', head back to the real Park, head back to DCA and use my fastpass for Soarin', then return to the real park.

If DL is reallllyy crowded, I may wander around DCA for a bit. But not very often.

Pedro2NR
05-17-2004, 10:38 AM
I am not so much as DCA hater but a Disney Sea envier. Disney sea and DCA were built at the same time but the DCA turned out to be carnival park while Disney sea tokyo became Walts vision carried out to reality.
You summed it up nicely.

cryan71
05-17-2004, 01:58 PM
OH MY GAWD!!!!

Where did that come from? Is that real???

HA HA HA HA HA :D :D :D :) ;)

Hehe

No there is a website where you can put whatever you want on the sign.