PDA

View Full Version : Reciting of Haunted Mansion Monologue

Pages : [1] 2 3

mancub's mommy
05-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Does it bother anyone else when people in the elevator say the monologue outloud? I know the words but keep them to myself as not to ruin the experience for others....perhaps someone who has never been on the ride before. I bothers me but I never say anything. Has anyone ever said something to these people?

Dean Higgins
05-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Oh my goodness, I hate that.

"Wow, we're so impressed! You must come here a lot to know all those words!"

I swear I've been to the Haunted Mansion probably 200 times. I have the full-length CD and even the Osmond special where they tour the Mansion on video. Believe me, I know the words to just about all of it, but I keep it to myself so folks can hear the master Paul Frees do it.

sediment
05-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Complain to the closest CM. You might get an extra ride out of it for only your party.

It is a bit campy, you gotta admit. Unchanged for 30-some-odd years.

Disney Darlin'
05-14-2004, 01:29 PM
It doesn't bother me as much as the people who scream when the lights go out. Especially the ones who do it right in your ear :mad:

Nephythys
05-14-2004, 01:35 PM
If they are yelling it, I could understand, but NO, it does not bother me if someone is quietly quoting along-

I don't think it is fair to stomp on their enjoyment either- find a balance.

DigitalLizard
05-14-2004, 01:46 PM
I just noticed this on my last trip there...
On about our 7th time riding it in two
days, I started doing it too!

Yeah... after you have ridden it a few
times, the "scare" wears off... but I don't
think that repeating the words would
ruin the experience for a child say...

This was the first time I noticed the "body"
hanging from the top of the room when the
lightning flashes... (sorry, don't know WHERE
I've been!)

But after 7 or 8 or 9 times thru... I noticed
alot of details I have missed in the last 31 years!

However, didn't notice the exit signs!

:fez:

The Mouse Is Back
05-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Yes, it totally annoys me. And the screaming - especially the groups of teens who think it's funny to do that - is enough to make me want to slap someone upside the head. More times than I care to mention, it has resulted in some little kid or baby busting out crying. Way to go, demon spawn.

People who are lucky enough to go to DL frequently sometimes forget that a lot of people might be there for a once-in-a-lifetime trip that they've saved and scrimped for, probably for years.

-Allegra-

Nephythys
05-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Oh for goodness sake-

Ok everyone- if you have been to DL more than 10 times you are required to slink through the HM in total silence!! Don't talk, scream, giggle or do anything that might ruin the fun time of the total strangers around you.

For one group to be happy the other has to be stifled? Come on! :rolleyes:

The Mouse Is Back
05-14-2004, 01:53 PM
Oh for goodness sake-

Ok everyone- if you have been to DL more than 10 times you are required to slink through the HM in total silence!! Don't talk, scream, giggle or do anything that might ruin the fun time of the total strangers around you.

For one group to be happy the other has to be stifled? Come on! :rolleyes:

Who said anything about slinking in total silence? Or being stifled?

My opinion is that if a group of regulars becomes the show by drawing all the attention to themselves, it takes away from the experience for guests who have never been on the attraction.

And the screaming is inappropriate, especially groups of people screaming. And if you've ever heard a group of teenage girls shrieking at the tops of their lungs, you might want to visit an audiologist.

-Allegra-

mancub's mommy
05-14-2004, 01:55 PM
We live in Northern CA and go once a year. Inevitably the first time through, a group of teenagers (thinking they are cool) recite it together very loudly and then scream when the lights go out. If someone was just saying along under their breath that would not bother me at all. It is just teenagers been obnoxious. Which I guess leads me to the point that the cheap AP prices create a day care for teenagers and the "experience" has worn off on them thereby ruining my "experience".

Nephythys
05-14-2004, 01:57 PM
We live in Northern CA and go once a year. Inevitably the first time through, a group of teenagers (thinking they are cool) recite it together very loudly and then scream when the lights go out. If someone was just saying along under their breath that would not bother me at all. It is just teenagers been obnoxious. Which I guess leads me to the point that the cheap AP prices create a day care for teenagers and the "experience" has worn off on them thereby ruining my "experience".

LOL- teenagers ARE obnoxious. They aren't people yet ;)

These are the same trogolodytes who cut in line, break rules, and generally cause trouble.

I have one of those, and in December I will have two- UGH!! :D
(mine don't cut lines or break rules though)

Nephythys
05-14-2004, 02:00 PM
Who said anything about slinking in total silence? Or being stifled?

My opinion is that if a group of regulars becomes the show by drawing all the attention to themselves, it takes away from the experience for guests who have never been on the attraction.

And the screaming is inappropriate, especially groups of people screaming. And if you've ever heard a group of teenage girls shrieking at the tops of their lungs, you might want to visit an audiologist.

-Allegra-

You called them demon spawn- it is clear you want them to be quiet and think about the other people there. That's fine, but then again, no one has a right to tell them not to have fun too.

Everytime I have been on the HM people scream, it is encouraged during HMH! They tell people to scream at certain times, so people learn to do those things.

Can't really have it both ways now can you?

Dean Higgins
05-14-2004, 02:00 PM
People who are lucky enough to go to DL frequently sometimes forget that a lot of people might be there for a once-in-a-lifetime trip that they've saved and scrimped for, probably for years.

Right on. Although I have been one of the "lucky" ones, I know that it may very well be someone else's first time. They should see it the way I saw it so long ago and enjoy it pure. I'd like to afford them that pleasure without some idiot AP holder narrating over it.

Why would it bring pleasure to talk over it? Do you like to turn on CBS and then talk over Dan Rather's voice with "Hello this is the CBS evening news, I'm Dan Rather"?

Why not just turn off the audio so these geniuses with such good memories can provide it for us; adding the shreeking scream at the end too?

You wanna impress me? Quote along with "GREAT MOMENTS WITH MR LINCOLN". I know that one too, but I let others enjoy it.

drjones
05-14-2004, 02:01 PM
I for one, am an avid reciter. I only recite if the group is that kind of group.
Sometimes, we have a fun group, just having fun with the ride, and the whole group will recite, its like a party in the stretching room, and everyone screams at the top of their lungs. It's a very festive environment.

Whenever the group is more subdued, i lipsync it.

Nephythys
05-14-2004, 02:11 PM
I'm sorry but it is awfully arrogant to tell other people that the way they are enjoying HM and having fun is idiotic. More offensive to call out AP holders as those idiots.

Who are you to tell someone what they are doing is NOT fun? It's the same reason we sing along, or quote movie lines. It's fun! It's bogus to tell other people what is fun and what isn't. YOU don't like it, don't do it!

You want to impress me? Show some of the respect you expect of the people you called idiots!

innerSpaceman
05-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Frankly, it annoys me more when people in the entrance foyer babble all through the very creepy introductory narration - causing everyone to miss it entirely. (At least when they recite the stretch room spiel, you hear the stretch room spiel ... many of them doing a pretty fair Paul Frees imitation, too).

I wish there were some loud lightning strike or something to get the guests' attention in the foyer. Can't really blame them for babbling, when there's nothing to alert them to the start of the narration that they cannot hear over their own babbling.

The Mouse Is Back
05-14-2004, 02:42 PM
You called them demon spawn- it is clear you want them to be quiet and think about the other people there. That's fine, but then again, no one has a right to tell them not to have fun too.

Everytime I have been on the HM people scream, it is encouraged during HMH! They tell people to scream at certain times, so people learn to do those things.

Can't really have it both ways now can you?

I described as "demon spawn" the girls who shriek so loudly that they scare younger children and babies, or scream right next to the heads of unsuspecting guests. There are plenty of good kids, teens included, who go to DL. It was pretty obvious, I thought, that I wasn't referring to them.

HMH is a short-term thing, and the screaming is encouraged only in parts of the exterior queues.

Do you think it's okay when someone talks loudly through a movie because they've already seen it? It's pretty much the same thing.

-Allegra-

Dean Higgins
05-14-2004, 02:53 PM
I'm sorry but it is awfully arrogant to tell other people that the way they are enjoying HM and having fun is idiotic. More offensive to call out AP holders as those idiots.

Who are you to tell someone what they are doing is NOT fun? It's the same reason we sing along, or quote movie lines. It's fun! It's bogus to tell other people what is fun and what isn't. YOU don't like it, don't do it!

You want to impress me? Show some of the respect you expect of the people you called idiots!

Whoa whoa, I AM one of those AP'ers (just not the idiot variety). Second of all, I think I am the only one showing respect by letting others hear what is happening. While you show total disregard for others' experience.

Next time you go to the movies, let me know where it is. I'll come and sit behind you and quote it all the way through. You'll say "Well that's different. That's annoying. I haven't seen the movie yet". Duh... There are plenty of people who haven't seen the Haunted Mansion yet either.

Or... maybe I can run along the front of your DOOMBUGGY and just act out all the AA figures' moves. You don't need to see them when I have it down so well. Enjoy ME. I enjoy me... why wouldn't you?

To quote your nonsensical request: "If you don't like the acting out, YOU don't do it"

tod
05-14-2004, 03:07 PM
There is a small but conspicuous group of obnoxious people who think Disneyland is their stage, constructed so they can show off. Some of the things they do are:

They say the Ghost Host's monologue in sync with him, loud, so everybody can hear their repetition rather than Paul Frees' nuanced performance.

They also scream when the lights go out, because they have never experienced darkness before.

They talk on their cell phones through rides, so their friend Tiffany can hear what's going on in their lives, and everybody can admire their new cell phone.

They drone "Dead men tell no tales" in the cave.

They walk with linked arms down the riverside by Pirates of the Caribbean.

I wish they would knock it off.

--t

Dean Higgins
05-14-2004, 03:12 PM
There is a small but conspicuous group of obnoxious people who think Disneyland is their stage, constructed so they can show off. Right on Tod w/ the "obnoxious people" thing and the "re-defeat Bush" thing too.

But then I repeat myself

Nephythys
05-14-2004, 03:50 PM
Whoa whoa, I AM one of those AP'ers (just not the idiot variety). Second of all, I think I am the only one showing respect by letting others hear what is happening. While you show total disregard for others' experience.

Next time you go to the movies, let me know where it is. I'll come and sit behind you and quote it all the way through. You'll say "Well that's different. That's annoying. I haven't seen the movie yet". Duh... There are plenty of people who haven't seen the Haunted Mansion yet either.

Or... maybe I can run along the front of your DOOMBUGGY and just act out all the AA figures' moves. You don't need to see them when I have it down so well. Enjoy ME. I enjoy me... why wouldn't you?

To quote your nonsensical request: "If you don't like the acting out, YOU don't do it"

I am showing total disregard? How exactly can I do that from Colorado? Gee, did my reciting the spiel ruin it for you WAY OUT THERE?

I said there was a balance, which was even stated by someone else. It is NOT your way or NO way-

Re-elect Bush!!
:D

cstephens
05-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Frankly, it annoys me more when people in the entrance foyer babble all through the very creepy introductory narration - causing everyone to miss it entirely.

I think the problem starts with the loading of the room. Sometimes, when I've been part of the last people to enter the foyer, the narration has already started, so even if it was quiet in there, I've already missed out on part of it. My favorite times have been when the room is loaded and the door closed, with people talking softly, and then when the spiel starts, everyone shuts up to listen.

I think the spiel during HMH is a bit louder, as more people seem to quiet down to listen to that. Maybe that's the solution - turn the volume up a little.

But then, there are those who just talk LOUDER to talk over the show elements themselves...

TheatreTech
05-14-2004, 03:54 PM
I, and my friends like to have fun. We do so by riding Haunted Mansion over and over and over again. Yes we all know the speil, and yes it annoys me when people say it so loud to where it drowns out Paul. What we do (and what I have no problem with) is mouth the words perfectly in sync with the naration, but with no actual words comming out of our mouths.

We also take into consideration the length of the line for the attraction. If we walked right up to the porch and into the foyer, I don't feel bad for reciting the words a little louder or screaming when the lights go out. If anyone did not enjoy their experience, they can get right back on. (That's not to say the we recite the spiel as loud as we can.)

When the line is longer we stand by the wall and say the words to ourselves.

They say the Ghost Host's monologue in sync with him, loud, so everybody can hear their repetition rather than Paul Frees' nuanced performance.
Yes. annoying.

They talk on their cell phones through rides, so their friend Tiffany can hear what's going on in their lives, and everybody can admire their new cell phone.
Annoying and rude.

They drone "Dead men tell no tales" in the cave.
As long as it's not too loud.

They walk with linked arms down the riverside by Pirates of the Caribbean.
Just people having fun. (As long as they don't push others out of the way to get their big group through.)

The Skellington
05-14-2004, 04:08 PM
I personally don't like it but how hard is it to ignore it. In fact I hate it and when my mother does it (being a HM freak) I ask her to stop it. can you not do the same. It's really not that hard to whack up the guts and do so. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Just my opinion recently coming in.
don't flame me :)

The Skellington
05-14-2004, 04:40 PM
OK after reading a little deeper
there is a balance
you can hate so don't do it
and if people do it tell them not to do it
don't ruin it for people make sure it's not ruined for you
That's my position revised

:~D :~D BUSH! BUSH! :~D :~D :D :D