PDA

View Full Version : This thing they’re doing closing the monorail 11am to 6pm ...

MidwayManiac
08-01-2019, 09:03 PM
I noticed four days ago signs in front of DTD Station indicating it’s closed certain hours. There was no one around to ask or explanation in the sign ... the sign simply read “closed 11 to 6”.

As it was explained to me today in Tomorrowland by a CM: “it’s simply too hot to put people on the monorail.”

That’s a specious argument. If that’s the case, it’s too hot to do a lot of things at DLR: stand in a long line exposed to the sun or paddle out onto the Rivers of America in a Davey Crockett canoe or ride on Mark Twain / Columbia in the midday sun (both big boats have a dearth of shade).

I get that it’s not air conditioned, but at least in a monorail cabin you’re shaded, seated, and not exerting yourself.

Is something afoot w/ monorail? I’ve noticed at times they run a single train when the demand merits a couple or three at a time. A CM mentioned they’re trying to encourage more people to walk. That’s perfectly fine if people are primarily using monorail as a one way conveyance. From what I can tell, though, the majority of people are on there round trip except maybe early morning and late night.

candles71
08-01-2019, 09:20 PM
They have closed it in summer months before because of heat. This isn't new.

MidwayManiac
08-01-2019, 09:35 PM
They have closed it in summer months before because of heat. This isn't new.

Granted.

Doesn’t explain, though, why out of innumerable things to do at the resort, riding the monorail is the single thing that it’s too hot to do. If it’s related to safety, riding the monorail can’t possibly be the least safe thing to do in extreme heat. That is to say, it’s not plausible monorail riding is the only activity in need of restriction.

disneyfn
08-02-2019, 05:43 AM
Not a heat issue but a money issue. They did it to save money as all depts. have been told to cut hours. Looking at the numbers,I think they save about $700 keeping it closed for those hours.

AnotherJenny
08-02-2019, 07:48 AM
I would rather know that the monorail is closed for several hours than show up at the station to find out it is temporarily closed, which is what happened on hot days for years.

olegc
08-02-2019, 10:25 AM
Granted.

Doesn’t explain, though, why out of innumerable things to do at the resort, riding the monorail is the single thing that it’s too hot to do. If it’s related to safety, riding the monorail can’t possibly be the least safe thing to do in extreme heat. That is to say, it’s not plausible monorail riding is the only activity in need of restriction.

based on your previous post
"That’s a specious argument. If that’s the case, it’s too hot to do a lot of things at DLR: stand in a long line exposed to the sun or paddle out onto the Rivers of America in a Davey Crockett canoe or ride on Mark Twain / Columbia in the midday sun (both big boats have a dearth of shade)."
all three of those are in the open air. Hot, sun, but open air. Two of the three you cant leave - but one (Mark Twain) I would say you could still find some shade if you want (especially as the boat shifts orientation).

In the Monorail its a metal tube. I don't have the actual numbers in front of me but I understand that the temperatures inside the monorail train were very high due to the metal shell. and you are stuck in this area without a lot of air flow. The window design was supposed to alleviate that but in operational practice it has not done that. I understand that all departments have been asked to cut costs this summer due to the attendance dip - but in this case the closures have been going on for a few years even during busy times (as stated earlier, nothing new). The wide spread cost cutting is new for this summer.

cstephens
08-02-2019, 02:38 PM
That’s a specious argument. If that’s the case, it’s too hot to do a lot of things at DLR: stand in a long line exposed to the sun or paddle out onto the Rivers of America in a Davey Crockett canoe or ride on Mark Twain / Columbia in the midday sun (both big boats have a dearth of shade).

I disagree that the Mark Twain doesn't have shade. As long as you're not on the top deck, you can generally find some kind of shade.

The big difference I can see is that once the monorail leaves a station, it's a big deal to get somebody out of there in case of an emergency. If someone gets overheated in a line or on Tom Sawyer Island, there are things that can be done fairly quickly to assist them. In a monorail, that's going to be much more difficult, especially sometimes when a monorail is stopped on the tracks waiting for another monorail to continue on its journey.

Not a heat issue but a money issue. They did it to save money as all depts. have been told to cut hours. Looking at the numbers,I think they save about $700 keeping it closed for those hours.

Yep, I can totally see how some people would try to spin it that way. So all the other times they've restricted the operating hours of the monorail during hot summer months was because of money issues as well?

MidwayManiac
08-02-2019, 08:50 PM
I wish it was as simple a cost cutting. There’s logic in that, at least. But cstephens makes a good point - the monorail closures are more consistent than the times Disney has needed to cost cut.

Oh well, it is what it is. From a personal preference standpoint given the choice between baking in 95 degree temps & the midday sun on a Davey Crockett canoe -OR- a monorail car at that exact same time, I’ll choose the monorail car eight days a week. There’s no accounting for taste.

Janis and Aaron
08-04-2019, 07:54 PM
There is something up with this newest version of the Monorail vehicle. They limit passengers riding in the front on hot days but also on very mild days (like 75 degrees). I've heard that it's related to the air conditioning in the cab - or rather the lack of adequate air conditioning. Maybe the passenger cars are also struggling with poor air conditioning and now that the heat of summer is finally here, they don't think that it would be comfortable for guests. This was not true in previous summers with the previous Monorail version. I have gone consistently in the summer for years and they have never closed the Monorail for such long periods of time in the summer before.

I don't buy that they are doing this to encourage guests to walk. That sounds like a CM just saying something to sound like they know the answer. They want to keep guests happy, and making them walk the length of DTD on 100+ degree days is NOT how you achieve peak guest happiness. Also, if they really wanted guests to walk more, they would increase the wait for the shuttles/buses from the parking garages (or offer a free button - people will do anything for a free button).

I also don't buy this as a cost-saving issue. Happy guests spend more money and this does not lead to happy guests. The sooner guests can get to the park, the sooner they can start spending money.

AnotherJenny
08-08-2019, 07:29 AM
The monorail passenger cars aren't air conditioned and have never been in CA. There hasn't been a 100 degree day this summer, so while many may have made their walk longer by going to the Tomorrowland station first, I think most people can walk or wheel from the front gate to the hotel just fine if they've managed to get around the park that day.

fishgal
08-09-2019, 08:27 AM
Seems like the real issue with heat is when the monorail gets stuck stationing somewhere waiting for another monorail to pull out. If you get stuck with no wind and no air conditioning those windows aren't the most help, plus is there could be a liability issue. If the cast members are unable to "Lock" the windows down there is no way to insure that a guest might not end up in a cabin with no lowered windows and suffer heat exaustion or something. Not everyone knows the windows can be lowered or that they are allowed to. This could lead them to just not run it at all to keep the legal beagles happy.
#justanotherguess

Pixiedust58
08-12-2019, 04:06 PM
The monorail passenger cars aren't air conditioned and have never been in CA. There hasn't been a 100 degree day this summer, so while many may have made their walk longer by going to the Tomorrowland station first, I think most people can walk or wheel from the front gate to the hotel just fine if they've managed to get around the park that day.

Sorry but I have to add to this. I was in the parks last month and it was VERY warm; in the 90's. While waiting for kids to get off the Matterhorn a lady in her late 60's to early 70's asked me how to get to the Monorail. I explained as best I could from where we were (which was under the tracks in the shade). She explained she had been trying to cool down a bit in order to make it over there. She was pushing a special needs female in a wheelchair.

Going in early it is cooler, you are fresher and have more energy. A person could easily get overheated without realizing it as the temps rise. I didn't realize the Monorail was not running until we got over there to take it back to the hotel. We would have chosen to sit on that short ride vs walking back in the heat. I assumed there was the possiblilty of a breakdown because of the heat but really had no idea and never actually got a good explanation when I asked later that night going back in. Also, I felt terrible for the lady I gave directions to and hoped she made it back to her hotel ok :-(

I do acknowledge you said most people and I suppose that is accurate but I suspect more have a problem with this situation than one may think. Does anyone happen to know if they announce the monorail will be closed those hours or if there is a sign at the DtD station? Had I known we would have hopped on the train to the front of the park and not wasted extra steps and time going to the station.

AnotherJenny
08-12-2019, 06:38 PM
Yes, there are signs saying that it is closed between those hours.

The thing is, it's not cooler. It's just like all of those warnings not to leave children and pets in cars with the windows open. When the ride is not moving, it is hotter inside than outside. The monorail has never been reliable and the cars do get stuck on the tracks. Most people in the parks don't stay at the Disneyland Hotel. There is shade, places to sit and air conditioned buildings between the park and Disneyland Hotel and most other hotels. The monorail isn't a good choice to cool off.

Berry Princess
08-12-2019, 08:41 PM

The thing is, it's not cooler. It's just like all of those warnings not to leave children and pets in cars with the windows open. When the ride is not moving, it is hotter inside than outside. The monorail has never been reliable and the cars do get stuck on the tracks. Most people in the parks don't stay at the Disneyland Hotel. There is shade, places to sit and air conditioned buildings between the park and Disneyland Hotel and most other hotels. The monorail isn't a good choice to cool off.

I agree with you on this. I don't do well with heat so I know where to go if I need to cool off. I take advantage of walking through stores during those hot days we are there. I don't rush through either. I try to slow down a bit as I go through. Walk in shady areas as I can and depending on where we might be in the park the train is a lot better to take than the monorail ever would be on a hot day. Its open and one can get some breeze as it goes. I wouldn't even be able to sit in the monorail for the trip to DtD on a hot day. Let alone the whole way around. Nor would I want to take the risk of getting stuck on those days in a monorail car.

Pixiedust58
08-13-2019, 04:07 PM

Yep, I get it. We were looking for faster not necessarily cooler. Totally on me to miss those signs and I won't make that mistake again. It does make sense that if a car sits for any length of time the temps would rise quickly. It would really help if they could just spend 5-10 seconds and cover that in their announcements as a warning; I would have heard it for sure. In my defense I had 4 girls with me (two 9 y/o and two 13 y/o) to one Grandma so had my hands full ;-) We did bring misters, cooling towels, hats, water bottles etc.

We stayed to the shady side, walking thru the ac in the stores on Main St and generally taking our time. We did make a stop in the fairly empty Salt and Straw to pick up some ice cream for the girls for the remainder of the walk to the hotel. Even the man at the register commented on the heat and humidity. It felt as bad as 105 did a few years back. Great trip other than the weather which is just out of our control. Boy am I looking forward to 50's and 60's in the parks :-)