PDA

View Full Version : DCA the NEW Halloween Hangout?

DisneyFreak2000
10-27-2001, 08:02 PM
We all know that Disneyland Park owns Christmas, and Knott's holds the record for Halloween, but being that DCA isn't as family orientated as Disneyland they could make it a Halloween Haunt.
My ideas:

1. Susnhine Plaza:
-Guests walk in and all of Sunshine Plaza (like the Golden Gate Bridge and Sun icon) are covered in cobwebs and spooky things.
-Disney Villains walk around greeting and scaring people
-They could have a nightime parade featuring all of the Disney villains

2. HollyWIERD Pictures Backlot
-The whole backlot is crammed with Disney villains, and covered in fog. Also, some older scary movie favorites (like Dracula) could be walking around.
-Disney Animation could host a special exhibit to Villains
-Hyperion Theatre could feature a new horror stage show (maybe one as entertaing as The Hanging at Knott's.)
-They could have a maze themed after the Disney Villains called "The Villain Horror Hunt."
-Superstar Limo will operate as normal, except be rethemed to a spooky trip through HollyWIERD and CM could be dressed like mutilated agents and stuff and pop out
-When TOT opens, they could better theme the land to the Twilight Zone takes over or something

3. Zombie Farm (BVF)
-The exhibits will be replaced by a maze themed to a bunch of zombies coming up from the dead an hacking up helpless farmers and stuff
-Its Tough To Be A Bug will still operate as usual

4. Horror Flats (CF)
-This part of the park will feature a maze about a plane crash, and the dead pilots have come back to haunt you.
-The surronding area will also be covered in fog, and dead pilots will pop out at you
-Soarin' will operate as usual

5. The Graveyard (Pacific Wharf)
-This area of the park will be the ultimate scary place (like Ghost Town at Knotts) where anyone and everybody pops out of the fog. A few mazes could also be placed here.

6. The Gorey Peak Recreation ARea (Bay ARea and GRR Area)
-I actually couldn't think of anything creative for this area, except maybe a maze about a bunch of hikers being torn apart by mutant bears and stuff. GRR could operate as usual

7. Borish Boardwalk (PP)
-Fog covered area where Disney Villains walk around
-All rides operate as usual, and a few mazes could be featured here... maybe about scary sea creatures or something.

Well that was my idea, and I think it could prove to be really cool. Gives us a reason to go to DCA for something :D

Morrigoon
10-27-2001, 08:07 PM
Isn't DCA scary enough as it is? :p

MammaSilva
10-27-2001, 08:08 PM
lots of fun ideas there :)

DisneylandKid
10-27-2001, 08:24 PM
I think that would be cool if DCA did something Halloweeny, but I wish they would only do something spooky - - not startling, such as having things jump out at you. I hate that.

MammaSilva
10-27-2001, 08:27 PM
darkwing duck comes to mind LOL

SimpTwister
10-27-2001, 09:06 PM
I like!

DCA Halloween would be cool, but it would take some huevos to go head to head with Knott's Scary Farm!

Disney Villain walk-arounds and Villain-themed temporary attractions - Good stuff.

Remember the old Disney animated series 'Gargoyles'? Might be cool to work that in...

In a way it wouldn't make sense to promote a dead series, but on the other hand they have established characters to work with - might even sell a few videos.

(On a side note, my daughter [9] just looked over my shoulder and commented that 'Knott's Scary Farm' sounds like 'Not Scary Farm'... it hadn't occured to me!)

MammaSilva
10-27-2001, 09:13 PM
yeah but if they went "disney" scarey..... not wet your pants scarey they could do some great stuff over at DCA.... Disneyland used to do a great Halloween but decided to focus on Christmas....to do Halloween over at DCA would really really work.. I wonder if the powers that be would think of it for next year.....

ripplededge
10-27-2001, 09:18 PM
Classic comedy by mammasilva and Morrigoon
Darkwing Duck.... "Let's get dangerous"

SimpTwister
10-27-2001, 09:51 PM
Right. I haven't been to Knott's Scary Farm (yeah, I know...) but I understand it's very adult-oriented.

So I suppose there is a huge opportunity for a more kid-friendly celebration.

Morrigoon
10-27-2001, 10:01 PM
Sure there is. Hayrides in BVF (umm... not sure how they'd do that though ;), Pumpkin painting (carving too risky in this litigious society) stations, more halloween cookie stuff. Ghoulish dance parties. ALLOW FREAKING COSTUMES IN THE PARK!!!! (Sorry, I need something Disney to do for halloween, and it isn't halloween unless I can wear a costume!). Witch's cottage to visit (Maybe even a foods location, selling "witch's brew" punch from a cauldron (special effects from dry ice ;) ) with cm's dressed up as witches serving it, trick or treat stations....

Each location getting a theme, and allowing CM's to "dress up" within the theme. For example, still wearing their costume, but plussing it with hair, makeup and accessories (Imagine having a vampire seat you on grizzly or aliens at Soarin').

Nigel2
10-27-2001, 10:21 PM
I would say puting tons of disney villans in would be good but most of them are probably unknown/forgotten to the average guest. Plus mazes? Come on everyone would say it was a rip off of Knots, what is with them and mazes anyway? I think Dracula is actually still under copyright by universal. But some of the ideas would be nice. They do "technically" allow costumes into the parks btw, haven't you seen some families with "Pricesses" which is an apropriate title for some of them since they act like brats.:D I have another joke about that title but I can't say it on MP:(

Morrigoon
10-27-2001, 10:39 PM
They allow them on children.

The danger w/adults is that they might be mistaken for CMs and Disney does not want to be responsible fiscally or emotionally, for the behavior of the guests.

I wish they'd have a merch event that involved dressing up once in a while. A medieval faire with Sleeping Beauty, Sword in the Stone, Hunchback, etc themes, a turn of the century party on Main St. (Maybe throw in a little Poppins for good measure), A Cinderella Ball that's actually a ball (picture an orchestra in front of the castle with dancing around the hub and white linen dining in front of the two plaza restaurants with free-flowing Martinelli's)
Especially if the event included a dance lesson, Viennese Waltz, wooo! An Old West party in frontierland with line dancing at the Golden Horseshoe (okay, I hate almost all things western, but I recognize this would be a popular event). 1920's Jazz Bash in NOS, etc.... Dress-up events with prizes for costumes (judged by a Disney panel consisting of, say, a costuming dept. designer, a parades person, an imagineer and Cynthia, etc) Guests wishing to be judged could stop by the judging booth at some point during the first part of the evening, with winners announced publicly and then paraded on stage (saves us from a too-long costume parade).

Briarose710
10-28-2001, 12:20 AM
LOL ! it was great seeing this post considerign back in september one of my leads and i were chatting about how cool it'd be and that DCA would be a good place to do a halloween haunt type of thing!!

Ralph Wiggum
10-28-2001, 01:52 AM
GReat Idea......!!

innerSpaceman
10-28-2001, 05:49 AM
Au contraire, crappy idea. Even with the nifty concepts for such a DCA event posted at the start of this thread, the opportunities for great Halloween stuff at DCA absolutely pale with the stuff they did for the 2 years of 'Mickey's Halloween Treat' at Disneyland. Fog enshrouded Rivers of America, great spooky lighting effects and music at the Castle, Haunted Mansion's very existence, the joy of finally being able to wear costumes inside Disneyland, and halloween theming on long-time favorite Disney rides.

Re-theming DCA attractions will not have the same allure. These attractions have not had years to work their way into the national psyche (and most of these never will), and thus are not as humorous and fun when changed to fit an event theme. There are no icons like the castle to make scary (what, a scary sun thing?). Fog anywhere in DCA wouldn't be nearly as good as fog in NOS. And there's hardly been time for a long-standing prohibition on costumes at DCA that would be fun to break.

If they made it more teen or adult themed, with gory mazes and the like, they'd just be ripping off Knotts and Universal. And if they do the wonderful Disnified version that they did at Disneyland a few years back. . . well that would be so much better at Disneyland than at DCA.

Can't speak for anyone else, but if they would do halloween at Disneyland again, I wouldn't be able to sleep for weeks in anticipation. If they announced halloween at DCA, I wouldn't be able to stifle a yawn.

Cadaverous Pallor
10-28-2001, 02:04 PM
My answer to innerSpaceman would be yeah, it'd be great if they did do the Halloween thing at Dland. But at this point I'd be happy to see them do something for Halloween that has nothing to do with Xmas! I'd take DCA dressed up over the current situation.

You are right, DCA hasn't built up a presence in our subconscious, but Halloween there would be a heck of a lot better than nothing!

bluepearl
10-28-2001, 06:18 PM
Wow, I like those ideas!

Sure, DCA doesn't have the sort of establishment or clout as Disneyland's Halloween pasts, Universal, or Knotts, but who's to say that they can't start trying now and see where they can take it (assuming they try to do it well)? I rarely go anywhere for Halloween special events, but I'd definitely try out DCA if there was something offered there. Unfortunately, I never experienced Disneyland's Halloween stuff, so I have no memories of that. I have been to Knott's Scary Farm and let me say that I didn't enjoy it much. :shrug: It just wasn't my thing.