PDA

View Full Version : After Disneyland, how about the beach?

Hakuna Makarla
05-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Is the beach very close or does it take a ton of money to get to the beach.? My daughter wants to see the ocean again and wants to go real bad, but i think it must be pretty far away. Any info on how to get there and how far? thanks

sediment
05-13-2004, 03:08 PM
There's probably a bus that will go to the beach. Beach Blvd goes to the beach. Few large blocks west of DLR.

Morrigoon
05-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Or you could always rent a car and drive straight down Harbor Blvd to Newport

Hakuna Makarla
05-13-2004, 04:10 PM
it may be easier to get to the stores, target, and to the beach. Sounds like a great idea! Thanks much

Rae
05-13-2004, 04:14 PM
Somebody from these pages told me about the OCTA bus, they said about $3 return trip

Hope this helps

HBTiggerFan
05-13-2004, 04:59 PM
While the OCTA bus system is cheap, it will take you a good part of the day to get to the beach from Disney.

SCUBAbe
05-13-2004, 05:01 PM
Or you could always rent a car and drive straight down Harbor Blvd to Newport

New Port beach is very nice. WE go sailing out of there sometimes. There's also a restaurant called the crab cooker that used to have pretty good food. It wasn't fancy, but it was good. I haven't been in years though.

Werner
05-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Karlahart, back when I lived near Disneyland, one of my favorite places to go was the beach at Newport, and the wonderful little "Balboa Island". It's not the _closest_ beach to Disneyland -- maybe about another 15 minutes to get over there -- but it's really nice. Not sure what your itinerary is like, but one of the nicest times to run over there is in the evening, at sunset (probably at about 8pm). Balboa Island is a man-made "island" -- really just a neighborhood of beach houses with a really big "moat" around it -- that is an enchanting place to walk around. You can drive out on to the Balboa Peninsula, and from there, you can walk down to the actual ocean, on one side, and continue on out on a pier. Then, you can walk back on the other side of the peninsula (there's a lot of walking!) and take the little ferry which takes you on a fun 5-minute ride over to the "island". You can then walk some more, along this promenade, and peek into all of the pretty beach houses, with all the drapes opened wide and lit up like little doll houses!
Anyway, just an idea for you if you have the extra time. But I think you'd like it. It's very peaceful and relaxing. Just the thing after reveling in the hot Anaheim sun with 60,000 of your new Disneyland friends!

Werner
05-14-2004, 02:21 PM
oops forgot to mention the only cost would be parking (last time I was there it about $5 for all night) and the ferry (I think it's like $1/person each way)

Anthony
05-14-2004, 05:37 PM
Hi, can someone give me an idea of how long it would take during the week to get from HoJos to the newport beach? Also is the water warm enough to swim, and do they have good enough tide for surfing?

Thanks!!

Werner
05-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Anthony, I seem to remember it taking me about half an hour to get from the Disneyland area to Newport Beach -- during the non-commute times. I'm not a surfer, but I think I've seen some out there. I know the water's pretty cold, though! Have fun.