PDA

View Full Version : Best "sweet treat" to be found at DLR and which treats are the best buy for the buck?

Pages : [1] 2

mrs_toad
05-11-2004, 07:36 PM
I am getting ready to head to DLR in a few days and my sweet tooth is craving some candy. I love the caramel apples (I usually get one of those a day). I also enjoy caramel corn, toffee, salt water taffy and fudge. Yes...I have a sweet tooth!

Does anyone have any other suggestions...maybe something that you really enjoy? I'm not overly concerned about the cost, but is there anything that seems exceptionally good for the price? I did read the article a month or so ago about the candy stores, I'll reread that to freshen my memory. This is my number one concern tonight, I need a fix really baaaaaad! Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

SCUBAbe
05-11-2004, 07:44 PM
My daughter loves the chocolate covered strawberries. Last weekend we found found fresh strawberries with a chocolate dipping sauce. We both shared those.. :cool:

CarlieB
05-11-2004, 07:45 PM
My favourite sweet treat at DL is the churro. Unfortunately, the price of a churro is fairly outrageous (imho). However, this doesn't stop me buying 'em by the handfull:~D

I'm also a sucker for an icecream sundae at the Grand Gibson Icecream Parlour - my that place smells good:)

Rae
05-11-2004, 08:05 PM
At the risk of sounding like someone from another planet, what is salt water taffy and churro... I'm not from the US

wendybeth
05-11-2004, 08:30 PM
This is salt water taffy: http://taffyshop.com/

A churro is a deep fried sort of fluted, tube shaped pastry with cinnamon sugar all over it. It's about a zillion calories and I'm really glad I don't like them that much.:rolleyes:

Bruce Bergman
05-11-2004, 08:37 PM
At the risk of sounding like someone from another planet, what is salt water taffy and churro... I'm not from the US

Salt Water Taffy is a chewy cross between hard candy and gum, they pull and fold it to get the texture. There are Several (http://www.candyusa.org/Candy/taffy.asp) Different (http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/candy/recipe-taffy.html) websites you can Google (http://www.google.com) to find out more.

And a Churro (http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/churro) is a long fluted (high surface area so they cook through) fried bread (like a doughnut), served warm after being rolled in a pan of cinnamon-sugar or other flavored crystallized sugar mix (strawberry, apple, etc.) to get a light coating. Though Disney takes the easy way out with the pre-made frozen churros that are baked before serving (the Outdoor Vending carts have chain-feed continuous ovens), they're still yummy.

Did that do it? :cool:

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

mrs_toad
05-11-2004, 08:43 PM
This is salt water taffy: http://taffyshop.com/

A churro is a deep fried sort of fluted, tube shaped pastry with cinnamon sugar all over it. It's about a zillion calories and I'm really glad I don't like them that much.:rolleyes:
Okay, so now I'm sitting here eating my Frosted Mini Wheats selecting my taffy flavors of which I am going to order 3 lbs. :D Thanks...big taffy smilie!

I'm glad I don't like Churros either!

wendybeth
05-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Okay, so now I'm sitting here eating my Frosted Mini Wheats selecting my taffy flavors of which I am going to order 3 lbs. :D Thanks...big taffy smilie!

I'm glad I don't like Churros either!

There is a salt water taffy shop in Seaside, Oregon that makes the best taffy ever; I don't recall their name, but we buy several pounds of it when we go there!:)

MotorBoat Cruiser
05-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Personally, I like the hunny flavored popcorn that is available near the Pooh ride. It is warm and sticky and yummy. One box is hard for two of us to finish and therefore, a pretty good bargain at 4 bucks.

Sometimes you have to wait a bit while they prepare it but it is worth it. Also, it usually sells out quickly.

Forbin
05-12-2004, 12:21 AM
Hunny flavored Popcorn? Bah! Gimme the Tigger tails any day.

The Pooh candy center (At the end of the ride) is a good place to find a lot of unique candies.

Opus1guy
05-12-2004, 01:11 AM
My favorite is not made by Disney. It's the Pez "rainbow" assorted flavors refill packets. I don't mess with those toy dispensers...I just mainline the stuff!

But just last week I got a shock. At the Candy Place (or Gibson Girl or whatever they call it this decade) my normal 6 pack that sold for $1.50 had been reduced to a 3 pack at the same price!! That's effectively a doubling of the price of Pez...just like that! :(

Alpha1mom
05-12-2004, 04:25 AM
When your strolling down Main Street, stop and watch the "fudge makers" in the window of the Candy Palace. It always makes me run in and buy a pound of fudge! Incredibly good! The candy apples are pretty good too!
(Oh yea, and of course, the Churros, we eat these for breakfast)

stan4d_steph
05-12-2004, 05:00 AM
Handmade English toffee from the Candy Palace is my favorite.

Photographer
05-12-2004, 06:31 AM
I like the chocolate covered frozen bananas. Banana. tee hee hee

kkmickey
05-12-2004, 07:36 AM
My favorites are definitely apple fritters in New Orleans Square, or beignets (spelling?) in the morning at the bakery in Downtown Disney.

Not Afraid
05-12-2004, 07:43 AM
Rockey Road and English Toffee from the Candy Palace
Fritters at the French Market
Beneigts at Ralph Brennans
Mint and Chip Ice Cream in a Chocolate cone at Gibson Girl (actually, ANYTHING at GG is good)
Interesting selections at the Pooh Corner Candy Counter.

Pat-n-Eil
05-12-2004, 07:55 AM
Well.. it is not exactly candy - but my family does enjoy the cinnemon rolls on Main Street.. frosted, unfrosted.. makes no difference - it's all good!

LSPoorEeyorick
05-12-2004, 08:06 AM
Sugared jells, chocolate/PB fudgecicle, and chocolate-covered strawberries, all at the Candy Palace.

millionairegirl
05-12-2004, 08:19 AM
Overpriced Sour Patch Kids always taste better at Disneyland.

Fantasia Ice Cream!

I'm a big fan of the Chocolate covered Oreos with the little Mickey candies on top. At only $1.25 a piece, I think they're a bargain.

I myself don't care for the Tigger Tails, I think they're too hard, but others seem to love them.

And the best 'candy' of all-a Mocha from Blue Ribbon Bakery with or without a brownie, talk about decadent!

Tigertail777
05-12-2004, 08:57 AM
OK this started since I was last at Disneyland (before the pooh ride) so what exactly is: a tigger tail, and hunny popcorn???

Last time we went a few years ago now... I had my first Dole whip MMMM I wouldnt think of going without having one now.

Simple, but still good... as a kid I used to buy the flavored candy sticks in the old candy shop that was inside the castle (and also in a Main st store somewhere) I still get a simple pleasure of sucking on them to a point while riding the train around the park. We never had a lot of money for food or sweets when we went (typically we would "tailgate" a picnic in the parking lot) so the candy sticks were one of the few things I could afford to get as a kid (something like 8 cents a stick... I used to save my pennies :D )

danyoung
05-12-2004, 09:43 AM
Handmade English toffee from the Candy Palace is my favorite.

Are you talking about the toffee bars that they cover with chocolate and crusted nuts? I LOVE these things! They're pretty good out of the package, but they're even better fresh off the tray - yummy!

Annes2kiddies
05-12-2004, 09:57 AM
I LOVE the chocolate covered marshmellows that have the carmel in them as well.... YUM!!!!!!!!!

Anne :~D

wonderful
05-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Hands down my favorite new treat can only be found at Pooh Corner in Critter Country. Chocolate covered marshmellos rolled in graham cracker crumbs. Simple, but a wonderful treat.
Also, the soft serve at Catch A Flave in Paradise Pier, my favorite being either the lemon or butter pecan.
Then, of course, there's the Blueberry Crumble shake at Sam Andres Shakes in "a bug's land"
and the grand daddy of all of my favorites is the ice cream/cookie sandwitch served at the Cone Shop on Main Street, near the Clothiers.

stan4d_steph
05-12-2004, 10:08 AM
Are you talking about the toffee bars that they cover with chocolate and crusted nuts? I LOVE these things! Yes, it is absolutely divine.

I also enjoy the strawberry sundae from Burrrbank in DCA. It has a scone topped with ice cream, strawberry sauce, whipped cream and chopped nuts. I'll put in another vote for the beignets from the Ralph Brennan take-out and anything from Sam Andreas shakes (I like the Butterfinger mix-in best).

Missing Marbles
05-12-2004, 11:11 AM
My favorite treat is the cinnamon apple at DLR. In my opinion, it has no compitition as the best cinnamon apple in the world! Well, at least in my world. :fez: The Carmal/fudge apple is pretty darn good, too!