PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Creative Advisory Council 2005

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

cryan71
05-11-2004, 08:38 AM
There isn't going to be one for 2005 according to this email I got:

------

We appreciate the interest you expressed in becoming a member of the Disneyland Creative Advisory Council 2004. Again we were overwhelmed with the amount of responses we received and it is with regret that I am informing you that we will not be able to include you in this year's Council. We sincerely wish that we could have included everyone that submitted an application.

At this point we will not be hosting a Council for the year 2005, due to the 50th Anniversary Celebration. Please stay tuned for more information on future Creative Advisory Council's. Thank you again for taking the time and effort to contact us regarding your involvement and we hope to get the opportunity to meet with you in the future.

Sincerely,

Disneyland Resort

KarenW2
05-11-2004, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I got the same canned refusal to my application for the coucil as well today. I was beginning to wonder if I'd hear from them at all, since it had been so long since I sent them my email applying for it.

ununoctium
05-11-2004, 08:57 AM
Same here, REJECT! :>)

mamabot
05-11-2004, 09:05 AM
Count me on the list of rejects. :crying:

adriennek
05-11-2004, 09:06 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't return because as I understood it, they were one of Cynthia Harriss's personal ideas. The current management team may not value them as Cynthia did.

Adrienne

tod
05-11-2004, 09:32 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't return because as I understood it, they were one of Cynthia Harriss's personal ideas. The current management team may not value them as Cynthia did.

Does that make it a bad idea? Or was it really just a test-markeing tool to see what us rubes would sit still for?

--t

MZCosmo
05-11-2004, 09:44 AM
:crying: I recieved the same email.

innerSpaceman
05-11-2004, 09:47 AM
Can you believe they rejected me?

ME?

disneyscott
05-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Me too...did anyone get in?

disneylandia
05-11-2004, 10:39 AM
At least Disney had the courtesy to respond. If the Council was Cynthia Harriss' idea, it was probably the only good one she had. Does anybody from past Council's think it helped in any way?

bassett1976
05-11-2004, 10:51 AM
I didn't get in.

Towmod
05-11-2004, 10:56 AM
WOW I did.....

Just kidding, same canned reject letter.

NirvanaMan
05-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Ok...so what is it?

cryan71
05-11-2004, 11:24 AM
What's so sad about this is that I had already developed some fantastic ideas for future merchandise and events for Disneyland. I figured since I was going to advise Disney on creative stuff, they would love to hear my ideas.

Oh, what the heck. Since I am not on it this year, I will let the Padders in on some of the fantastic proposals I had in store for the first meeting:

1) Goofy Pops--A very sweet all-day sucker marketed to ravers and circuit boys. Its an all day sucker in whacky colors that is 90 percent candy and 10 percent Extacy. Let the party begin!

2) Captain EO doll -- create a Captain EO doll that has its own bedroom. The bed will have Huey, Dewey, Louie already in it for fun!

3) Custodial Merchandise Event -- A fantastic event celebrating the most important division of Disney -- Custodial. It will have its own pin as well as a limited edition doll of a custodial. You will also have a chance to purchase stuff found in trash cans around disneyland. Lunch would be served back stage behind Fantasyland near the Custodial Office. Everyone in attendence will recieve a small bag of pixie dust.

4) New t-shirts and products for the AP crowd -- T-shirts with phrases like "I have an AP and I know where City Hall is", "This is my 79th visit to the park this month", "I have an AP and I know exactly what Walt would do." There would also be a snowglobe featuring a miniture AP.

5) The Not Afraid VIP Tour -- You can actually visit the places where Not Afriad goes. Kind of like a tour of Hollywood Homes, only cooler!

Well, its Disney's loss!

adriennek
05-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Does that make it a bad idea? Or was it really just a test-markeing tool to see what us rubes would sit still for?

Well, I don't think that Cynthia was an evil president. I think that Cynthia had some redeeming qualities that the president before her severely lacked.

I don't think it was a bad idea but I don't know that it was used well. For example, and this is going to be vague because I'm not the Adrienne with a mind like a steel trap, after one merchandise event, the resort tried something new for crowd control/purchase control and it failed miserably. After the event, the powers that be attributed the idea to the Creative Advisory Council that I was on.

In speaking with other members of that council, none of us ever remembered discussing this idea or suggesting to Disney that it would've been a good idea. In fact, we were not the least bit surprised that it had failed. But we were "blamed" for that idea.

I think the idea was good I don't know if the execution was always the best.

I DO know that at least one line of merchandise and a small event came out of our council because, it was my idea :D It actually started as a bit of a game but in a small session, a group of us fleshed out an idea well enough that some of our original ideas were pulled together and used. Of course, I remember more details about that particular occasion.

Adrienne

DigitalLizard
05-11-2004, 02:20 PM
I got the same canned response!
And I got the same response last year too!

An aquaintence of mine from when I worked
at the Disney Store actually was on last
years council! She told me she didn't even
think there would be one THIS year...
I told her to put my name in if she heard
differently at her last meeting the end of Feb.

I don't know how many people put in for it, and
I don't know what qualifications they were looking
for... but I'm single and 31, live in Tucson and have
no kids... the girl I know that was on last years
council is married and 30, lives in Tucson and has
4 kids... oh! and she has a Tinkerbell tattoo too!
Maybe that pixie dust is what gave her the luck?!?!

She had to provide her own transportation and
lodging and pay for her own food... (how cheap is that?)
and she also mentioned not being able to see any
of the Disney exclusives like backstage... so there
were really no perks to being on it other than saying
that you got to be on it!

downingfamily1
05-11-2004, 04:06 PM
I didn't even get a rejection.

Opus1guy
05-11-2004, 04:23 PM
I didn't get rejected either. ;)

So I'm perfectly happy.

olegc
05-11-2004, 04:35 PM
That's me - Loser - rejected...

but not sad... just dissapointed. :)

Maus
05-11-2004, 06:52 PM
At the ToT event I was told by the merchandise CMs that there would be only two council meetings in 2004 and no council in 2005. But they also said there would probably be a reunion event for the past councils --a fun event, no work. (Although the work was fun!)

adriennek
05-11-2004, 08:58 PM
I don't know how many people put in for it, and
I don't know what qualifications they were looking
for... but I'm single and 31, live in Tucson and have
no kids... the girl I know that was on last years
council is married and 30, lives in Tucson and has
4 kids... oh! and she has a Tinkerbell tattoo too!
Maybe that pixie dust is what gave her the luck?!?!

They try for a good balance. Our council had people of a variety of ages from college age to retirees, single, married, married with no kids, married with kids, single with kids, big collectors, not big collectors, etc.

She had to provide her own transportation and
lodging and pay for her own food... (how cheap is that?)
and she also mentioned not being able to see any
of the Disney exclusives like backstage... so there
were really no perks to being on it other than saying
that you got to be on it!

Well I don't know that I would agree with the no perks part. We were given gifts at every meeting. Her council didn't get any? We got a watch at one meeting, a fleece blanket, a denim shirt, and a nice framed picture of our council at another. All of the gifts had the CAC logo on them. At our reunion event we got zippered sweatshirts.

And we did go backstage because we met backstage in the big green TDA building. Now, our council may have been more unique because we did get to see two big things up close and personal at Disneyland (Walt's apartment and Walt's Office before it moved to Orlando.)

We were also fed at every meeting. Most of the food was brought in but it was very good. Who knew I'd like pumpkin creme brulee?

Plus we got to know the merchandise staff. It's fun to see them around the park now and say hi. And I met some really nice people on our council and got to know some others better. Definitely a perk for me!

. But they also said there would probably be a reunion event for the past councils --a fun event, no work.

I don't care- either way- I'm there! You better be, too, Maus! :D

Adrienne

Sophie832
05-11-2004, 09:50 PM
This was my second rejection...I think the last one was a couple of years ago, since I don't remember applying last year. Oh well, life goes on. Disney's loss :fez:

Pirate Girl
05-11-2004, 10:08 PM
New t-shirts and products for the AP crowd -- T-shirts with phrases like "I have an AP and I know where City Hall is!"

Hey, I resemble that remark. ;) Actually, I'm one of the ones who is likely to beat a fellow AP holder over the head with their War-and-Peace Pin book for acting like Primadonnas. But I would so buy the T-shirt!

The Not Afraid VIP Tour -- You can actually visit the places where Not Afriad goes. Kind of like a tour of Hollywood Homes, only cooler!

Is there a pin for this?

sambo
05-11-2004, 10:12 PM
At least Disney had the courtesy to respond. If the Council was Cynthia Harriss' idea, it was probably the only good one she had. Does anybody from past Council's think it helped in any way?
Even a broken clock is right twice a day... ;)

blusilva
05-12-2004, 07:32 AM
The phrasing of the letter is so strange. "You're not chosen this year. We wish everyone could have made the team, but you didn't.

We aren't having one this year."

Why even have the first paragraph at all? It's like saying "YOU BIG LOSER" then in the tiny print "just joshin' ya, there's nothing to lose...." ;)