PDA

View Full Version : Fastpass: Should Disneyland do it like Magic Mountain?

Pages : [1] 2

TinkyWinky
05-11-2004, 07:21 AM
I was on the Magic Mountain website and came across Fast Lane, thier version of Fast Pass. Instead of giving out fast passes out on all major rides, Magic Mountain has the option of buying a pass good for 4 major rides for $17.00.

Here is the web address:
http://www.sixflags.com/parks/magicmountain/parkpress/article010902.html

Though I think $17.00 for 4 rides is pricey, is this an option for Disneyland that might work to help combat overcrowding? Do you think it could be tweaked a bit to suit Disneyland guests? Or would it just plain not work since Disneyland guests are used to getting 'free' fast passes and would not think this is a good value?

I think I might pay the $17.00 for the Fast Lane at Magic Mountain, but only because I don't go there often, so it would seem worth it. Maybe once. :rolleyes:

tink1234
05-11-2004, 07:52 AM
With DL already being $50 to enter there is no way I would buy a pass to get front of the line privilages to a few rides! I say keep the magic and let us all ride for free! :p

LSPoorEeyorick
05-11-2004, 07:53 AM
I don't like the idea of charging. At all.

Somehow limiting it to four (or three?) passes per day, though, might be a good idea.

Ghoulish Delight
05-11-2004, 08:01 AM
I don't quite understand the need to charge (other than from the comany's point of view of creating an fun new revenue stream). Fastpass works quite well as it is. Anyone can use it, so it doesn't create any sort of class division based on who can and can't afford it (something I would NOT want to see at Disneyland), and the Fastpass lines are quite reasonable. The system is self-limiting, so the Fastpass lines can't get too long. I suppose the only advantage would to prevent the most popular attractions from running out of Fastpasses by 11AM like they often do. But I'd much rather a handful of people don't get a fastpass for a single attraction beause it's popular, than most people not be able to get ANY fastpasses because they can't afford it.

Lani
05-11-2004, 08:12 AM
Charging a separate price is basically buying yourself a spot at the front of the line. I believe Walt specifically didn't want to create separate castes of park guests (regular guest and special privilege guests), so buying a special pass would in effect do that.

sediment
05-11-2004, 08:15 AM
I think SFMM needs this kind of pass, since its queues can be riot-inciting (out of boredom -- "Hey let's pick on other people!").
DLR should dump FastPass, not create a revenue stream.

Besides, the whole "front-of-the-line" concept is self-defeating, unless only one pass is issued each day. Think about it.

Pat-n-Eil
05-11-2004, 08:22 AM
I like the FastPass system the way it is. For me, at least, it is simple to understand, it allows me to plan my day much better with less hassle and less worry about whether I'll be able to ride. I haven't waited in a long standby line since the FastPass system was introduced.

Now, I can't live without the enhanced FastPass version. We don't have to spend all of our time trying to run around the park. A nice easy even keel keeps us calm and after an early burst of rides, I can pick up FastPasses for everything we want to do later. It really allows us to enjoy everything else the park has to offer. I LOVE 'EM just the way they are.

Pat-n-Eil
05-11-2004, 08:27 AM
Besides, the whole "front-of-the-line" concept is self-defeating, unless only one pass is issued each day. Think about it.

When I think about it, I think about how nice it is to get to the front of the line quicker. And since everybody else can do it too, it is only a matter of wanting to. I have no problem circling the park hitting the FastPass machines. I really can't understand how it is self-defeating or why anyone would have a problem with it.

sediment
05-11-2004, 09:09 AM
It's self-defeating, because if there is a line at the front of the front-of-the-line line (I don't think that's redundant -- yet), then you are no longer at the front of the line. It's time to call the lawyer for breach of contract.

Since everybody can get one, there's bound to be a line at the front of the front-of-the-line line.
Only way to guarantee the front-of-the-line clause is to issue only one per day.

Cadaverous Pallor
05-11-2004, 09:35 AM
Only way to guarantee the front-of-the-line clause is to issue only one per day.So you're saying that waiting in a 5 minute line as opposed to a 90 minute line is too long to be considered "front of the line"?

You have got be kidding. Give me a break with the semantics.

innerSpaceman
05-11-2004, 09:46 AM
If they were to institute a paid-for fast pass caste, there would be SixFlags-style rioting in the queues.

I know it for a fact.

I would be starting them.

cstephens
05-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Magic Mountain's Fastlane system doesn't even work. You don't know ahead of time generally what rides are included on Fastlane on any given day as they change. Sometimes, they give a flyer out at the parking booth, but that doesn't always happen. The two times we've done it, my husband went to get in line. When I caught up to him, we traded off so he could go look at what rides were included before he decided whether he wanted to buy it. The first year he and our friends did this, they at least had some of the newer and/or longer-lined-rides on there. Last October, the newest rides weren't on there, and there were a couple of rides included on the list that didn't require that sort of special handling.

I think Fastpass works fine. Why muck it up with Fastlane.

sediment
05-11-2004, 10:29 AM
So you're saying that waiting in a 5 minute line as opposed to a 90 minute line is too long to be considered "front of the line"?

You have got be kidding. Give me a break with the semantics.
Hey, it's not me. There's BOUND to be someone who would complain. I wouldn't, since I wouldn't pay for it, I probably wouldn't go nearly as often if a program like this existed, and when I do go, I use FastPass sparingly, if at all. (I tend to go on lighter days, which are slowly going out of existence.)

So, the name would be changed. Is that such a big deal?

I'm also saying that these passes would have to be limited. "One" is the extreme, although I like "Zero."
Probably somewhere between one and 50000. Any guesses?

DoNutTouCH
05-11-2004, 10:31 AM
Those who tend to go to Magic Mountain tend to be non-disneyland park goers. Although I am one to go to both parks, my friends tend to dislike the theme park atmosphere and just go for thrill. Its probably a socioeconomic thing, especially if SFMM tix are about half the price of DL tix.

Although I am a fan of fastpass, it doesn't come without a price: longer standby lines and crowded walkways.

My girlfriend and I used the Fastlane pass during our last summer visit to six flags. It was the last Saturday in August and lines were averaging an hour and a half to two hours for a coaster ride that day. We benefited but unfortunately those who couldn't afford the extra $17 for each person in their party did not. In this case, its a socioeconomic thing where higher incomes benefit and those with lower incomes do not. This is where I don't believe the system works, it puts those who are willing to pay ahead.

Unlike the Disney fastpass, everyone benefits except for those who do not know how to use the system to its maximum potential... who are those who do not go to DL on an average basis.

Ghoulish Delight
05-11-2004, 10:40 AM
Magic Mountain tickets are NOT half the price of Disneyland tickets. I know there about $40 these days. The season passes are a lot cheaper than Disneyland's (around $50) but they end on December 31, not a year after purchase, and Magic Mountain is closed on weekdays during off season.

And you'll find many many debates on whether Fastpass actually increases Stand-by time. With X number of people in a standby line, yes, it's faster with no Fastpass than with. But when there's Fastpass available, there are fewer people in the standby line than would be without, so that compensates. For some anecdotal evidence, Splash Mountain used to have lines regularly over 3 hours long. Since Fastpass was implemented, I have never seen a line over 2 hours, even on the hottest, most crowded days.

DoNutTouCH
05-11-2004, 11:01 AM
I see your point there Ghoulish Delight. I guess for a non AP'er like me (infering that you are), I do not know how to use fastpass to its maximum benefit.

I go to DL maybe once or twice a year and do not know the best routes to use the fastpass system and the standby lines as well. So assuming that you do see the benefits of the system, I'm sure it does decrease the amount of people in the standby lines. Maybe with a few more visits I'll be able to use the system to its maximum benefit as AP'ers.

And I'm sorry, in my case, SFMM tix are half the price for me because of military discounts. But Fastlane is an unfair system, regardless if one is willing to pay the extra $17. Yet I don't believe it effects the standby line by much, as wait times seem to be just the same. Its just unfortunate it seperates park attendees into 2 groups: Fastlane users and non Fastlane users. Unlike Disney's Fastpass where everyone can benefit. I guess every system has its upsides and downfalls.

Towmod
05-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Instead of Fastpass why not select the top 6 or so rides you want to ride that has Fastpass on them and then have the computers select your times *spread out* through the day. It would save you from having to run back and forth through the park (the reason for most of the gridlock) and would allow you to *plan* your day. For Disney it could guarantee that you would stay longer in the park, and the longer you stay in the park the more food and souvenirs you might spend your money on.

They do this at Sea World in San Diego. When you come it they route you through the different show times with a *suggested* time. It tends to make sure you see everything and evens out the attraction attendance.

DoNutTouCH
05-11-2004, 11:19 AM
Great suggestion Towmod :) I'll have to check that out when I visit Sea World San Diego in the coming month for JTA!!!

cstephens
05-11-2004, 11:23 AM
They do this at Sea World in San Diego. When you come it they route you through the different show times with a *suggested* time. It tends to make sure you see everything and evens out the attraction attendance.

I know they think they're providing a service, and maybe they are to some people, but I never pay attention to that schedule. I don't want to be told when I should see what show.

Towmod
05-11-2004, 11:33 AM
I know they think they're providing a service, and maybe they are to some people, but I never pay attention to that schedule. I don't want to be told when I should see what show.

Thats why its a *sugggested* schedule. You can still get your ole Fastpass one at a time if you wish, or obtain no Fastpasses if you want. :cool:

sames1
05-11-2004, 05:42 PM
Wow.. if Disney gets that idea in their head, they will probably do it. I'll bet they have kicked it around a few times. I like the idea one poster had... select all your fast passes , spread out , when you enter and you know your schedule.

Of course if you want a free fast pass to just about everything, just get a wheel chair for someone in your group. I'll bet some have done just that. I would never, but I suspect some.

[QUOTE=TinkyWinky]I was on the Magic Mountain website and came across Fast Lane, thier version of Fast Pass. Instead of giving out fast passes out on all major rides, Magic Mountain has the option of buying a pass good for 4 major rides for $17.00.

Disneyfreak
05-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Since Fastpass was implemented, I have never seen a line over 2 hours, even on the hottest, most crowded days. I beg to differ. The last time I walked by splash mountain the line was 300 min long LOL!!! :fez:

Not Afraid
05-11-2004, 06:45 PM
I beg to differ. The last time I walked by splash mountain the line was 300 min long LOL!!! :fez:
And that is a rarity. It takes a few factors in motion all at once to get Splash wait time over 2 hours. At least that's what I've seen.

CoasterMatt
05-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Universal Studios Hollywood has "Plan Your Day" guides at the entrance, that are switched out through the day, with suggested times for visiting various attractions and shows.

cstephens
05-12-2004, 10:38 AM
I believe Universal has some kind of paid "front of the line" thing as well. I remember seeing something like that when I was browsing their site a few weeks ago.