PDA

View Full Version : 50th or Xmas

Disney Vault
05-10-2004, 03:35 PM
I was planning on going to disneyland within a year and was wondering what do you think would be better? I have never been to DL during xmas but i would really like to go. Or should i wait and go during the 50th celebration? Right now i am leaning toward the xmas time because i have seen pictures and it looks like something totally new to me. Any opinions?

CarlieB
05-10-2004, 03:37 PM
I would recommend Christmas, but if you can go in the weeks leading up to Christmas you'll miss the really huge crowds and still get the magic atmosphere.
We'll be there from the 9th of December to the 14th this year, and I'm really looking forward to it:)

Disney Vault
05-10-2004, 03:42 PM
when do they have everything set up by? The first of december or even earlier?

CarlieB
05-10-2004, 03:45 PM
We were there November 13 - 16 last year and most of the decorations were up by then. I think more stuff happens in December though - hopefully someone else will know:)

EandCDad
05-10-2004, 03:47 PM
The past few years they have had all the decorations up and the overlay on it's a small world up by the first week in November. They used to hold off on the Christmas Parade until after Thanksgiving, but I think last year they even started that at the beginning of November.

NirvanaMan
05-10-2004, 04:14 PM
How about xmas during the 50th?

Disney Vault
05-10-2004, 04:51 PM
I'll be in college by then. This year i will be able to skip a week of school.

NirvanaMan
05-10-2004, 07:32 PM
Hmmm, I would definitely say christmas then. There is something amazingly magical about it then. I remember my first time a few years ago; in town on business I was able to take a weekday off. It's really amazing. That is the way to go.

Suburban Plankton
05-10-2004, 07:33 PM
We have been there the week before Thanksgiving the last two years, and they had all of the Christmas decorations up. Last year Monday-Wednesday of Thanksgiving week were practically empty, to boot.

Thursday was a tad more crowded

Grumpy4
05-10-2004, 08:33 PM
I was planning on going to disneyland within a year and was wondering what do you think would be better? I have never been to DL during xmas but i would really like to go. Or should i wait and go during the 50th celebration? Right now i am leaning toward the xmas time because i have seen pictures and it looks like something totally new to me. Any opinions?

Where do you live? Is it too expensive to come both times? If you are dying to get out here, come at Christmas. If not, you can come next Christmas and get the 50th and Christmas at the same time. The 50th is supposed to run for like a year and a half(?). Just something to think about.

Disney Vault
05-10-2004, 08:36 PM
I live in WA but i dont think my parents will take me two more times. I have talked them into going for the past five years in a row.

Grumpy4
05-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Well, talk them into next Christmas. That way Buzz and Space Mtn. will be open, plus you'll get the 50th experience and the holiday experience as well.

Disney Vault
05-10-2004, 08:53 PM
But then i'll be in college. I should probably go during xmas time and then go toward the end of the 50th to spread it out as much as i can. I'm sure i could talk my dad into that.

Disney Vault
05-11-2004, 03:07 PM
What do they do for xmas? They have small world with decorations and the haunted mansion is changed. Are the fireworks different? Do they decorate the whole park? Do they do anything in CA adventure? Thanks

EandCDad
05-11-2004, 03:15 PM
What do they do for xmas? They have small world with decorations and the haunted mansion is changed. Are the fireworks different? Do they decorate the whole park? Do they do anything in CA adventure? Thanks

Holiday fireworks (including snow)
Christmas Parade
Christmas decorations
Cookie decorating stations
special holiday foods
Santa Claus in the town square (and the hotels)
Christmas music
Big tree on Main Street
Characters in wintery type clothing (Santa Goofy in Toontown)
There has been a show called Minnie's Christmas Party but I doubt they will do it this year because it's in the same theater as the Snow White show
overlays to it's a small world and Haunted Mansion Holiday

DCA does a lot less but they have Santa's over there, also.

Niwel
05-11-2004, 04:21 PM
Don't forget the Holiday Tour (Disneyland only unless they change it) :)
DCA has some decorations (last year they had a Santa Beach Party in Sunshine Plaza). It will be interesting to see if they do anything on ToT.

Cadaverous Pallor
05-11-2004, 05:14 PM
But then i'll be in college. Are you going home for the holidays? I'm sure you don't even know what school you're going to yet, but it's something that might be possible.

Disney Vault
05-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Yes, i will be going home for xmas when i am in college.

karl
05-11-2004, 05:35 PM
I'll suggest Christmas as well. The park really has a different personality with the decorations, shops, and special holiday ride overlays - Haunted and Small World Christmas.

I suspect many of the 50th features will be around for years to come - certainly Buzz and Space Mountain, and probably good life on the fireworks and parade. The Castle overlay may be the only unique 50th feature.

-- Karl