PDA

View Full Version : New Fantasyland Dark Rides

Pages : [1] 2

DisneyDustin22
05-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Since Alien at WDW is getting a Stitch overlay and the recent Buzz addition to DL, I got to thinking. All the dark rides in Fantasyland in DL, and WDW for that matter, are themed after classic disney animated films. Snow White, Peter Pan, Pinnochio, Pooh (even though its in critter country) These films are many many years old and classics among giants, the same goes for the rides themselves. They are the smallest and perhaps shortest rides in the park, yet sometimes have longer wait times then Indy or other E tickets. So what do you think will happen many years down the road when the generations that grew up on Snow White, Pinochio, etc. are replaced by the generations that grew up on Alladin, Lion King, Emperors New Groove, etc. Do you think we'll ever see these "classic" rides replaced or "overlayed" with new themes?

Will "Peter Pan's Flight" ever become "Alladin's Flight Through Agrabah"? Or "Pinnochios Daring Journey" become "Timon and Pumbas Run Though The Sahara"
What do you guys think?

Disney Vault
05-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Not going to happen thanks to DVD and video. Snow white is way way way past my time but i have seen it a million times because it has been rereleased a few times.

Ghoulish Delight
05-10-2004, 01:54 PM
The rides stand on their own. I NEVER saw Wind in the Willows, and yet I loved the ride growing up. People love Peter Pan's Flight not because of the movie, but because you fly in a ship! I think these rides will continue to be popular for years to come.

Nephythys
05-10-2004, 01:55 PM
I think my response is Oh God they better NOT!

Their appeal is the fact that they are classic-

May they add new attractions, but to suggest that they abolish them in favor of those new rides? BAH! :mad:

sediment
05-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Stitch them all!! that's what makes a ride great, right?

Nephythys
05-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Stitch them all!! that's what makes a ride great, right?

That and disembarking directly into a shop :rolleyes:

merlinjones
05-10-2004, 03:14 PM
>>So what do you think will happen many years down the road when the generations that grew up on Snow White, Pinochio, etc. are replaced by the generations that grew up on Alladin, Lion King, Emperors New Groove, etc. Do you think we'll ever see these "classic" rides replaced or "overlayed" with new themes?<<

All generations grow up with all of the older titles, they are everfresh and new... and as popular as ever. They never need be replaced, though newer classics could be added...

merlinjones
05-10-2004, 03:15 PM
And I sincerely doubt that Emperor's New Groove will ever be considered a classic. Mermaid, B&B, Aladdin, Tarzan, Lilo, Mulan, okay... but not that one.

spectromen
05-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Ugh, I just had a vision of a Mulan dark ride where the soundtrack is the one from the former parade, playing loudly in surround sound as you weave through beautiful Chinese landscapes, palaces, countrysides...but then again, that would probably appeal more to adults :(

Gemini Cricket
05-10-2004, 04:11 PM
And I sincerely doubt that Emperor's New Groove will ever be considered a classic. Mermaid, B&B, Aladdin, Tarzan, Lilo, Mulan, okay... but not that one.
ENG is a classic in my book. I love it. It's a wonderful Disney flick. IN fact, I think I've watched that one more than all the rest on DVD. Seriously. :D

I want to see an E-ticket attraction for Aladdin. In an issue of E-Ticket Magazine they showed a magic carpet ride from another theme park that looked just like Peter Pan at DL. So the possibilty is there, but I hope not. I want to see a high speed Universal Studios Mummy ride like version of Aladdin. Swooping in and out of dark ride mock ups of the Cave of Wonders and Agrabah and ending up confronting the snake and genie Jafars in the Palace. What a great ride that would be. The ride would end in a huge drop where you fall with Jafar into his lamp. But of course, we swoop away at just before we get sucked in. Think about it. It could be so cool... twenty or so AAs of the Genie popping up here and there...

Think of the possibilities.

:)

KeithOfTerror
05-10-2004, 04:18 PM

TARZAN?!?! MULAN?!?!

Both not classics, not even good movies.

But back to the point. I think that, yes, the "classics" like Snow White, Pooh, etc. will carry over to future generations-but the rides will not.

Let's face it, rides get tired after a while. How many times can you ride Snow White before you start to wish for something new? A Lion King ride would be fantastic, as would a Beauty & The Beast one, etc. Also, newer films like Finding Nemo and Toy Story are bound to become classics in this everchanging world, and fifty years from now will be what Snow White is today-a "timeless" classic. But more movies will come along that will bring about more rides, and so on and so forth.

& whoever decided:

A) That every ride should empty into a gift shop.
B) Every ride should take your picture and sell it for 30 bucks.

Should be beaten with a large stick.

Disney Vault
05-10-2004, 04:39 PM
i thought mulan and tarzan were great movies. I really didnt like ENG though. I cant believe there is no lion king ride scince it was the highest grossing animated film til nemo

LSPoorEeyorick
05-10-2004, 04:49 PM
So what do you think will happen many years down the road when the generations that grew up on Snow White, Pinochio, etc. are replaced by the generations that grew up on Alladin, Lion King, Emperors New Groove, etc.

We're already there, pal. I was in fifth grade when "Little Mermaid" was released. I am of arguable age to be child-rearing and/or an imagineer.

Like many have said, thanks to the wonders of the VCR, most children have equal exposure to the classics and the new flicks. While I think it'd be super to have a mermaid flume/dark and an aladdin carpet e-tick, I would say that never in a million years will they take away Peter Pan's flight. It's one of the most popular rides ever, based on a still-popular merchandise extravaganza (Now! Tinkerbell Vacuums suck up 10% more pixie dust!)

Since we've already seen Toad go the way of the dustbin on the east coast, it's possible that it will go away. But I tend to believe that they're keeping one example of ride alive per park (Country Bears v. Toad, Old Tiki/New Tiki).

By the way, Tarzan still makes me weep.

experiment626
05-10-2004, 07:05 PM
I would love to see them ADD new rides but not get rid of the current ones. I do believe there is (some) room to add new animated "dark" rides.

sediment
05-10-2004, 07:14 PM
& whoever decided:
A) That every ride should empty into a gift shop.
B) Every ride should take your picture and sell it for 30 bucks.

Should be beaten with a large stick.
I think it was Eisner. Please act on this without double-checking.

merlinjones
05-10-2004, 10:19 PM
>>TARZAN?!?! MULAN?!?! Both not classics, not even good movies.<<

I was being uncharacteristically generous...

As for Toad - - Very few people ever had that much familiarity with it even way back in the 50's and 60's when the TV cut would show every few years at the most. But still, the ride has always stood on its own and remained popular... Not everything has to sell plush (not that I've ever seen them TRY to sell Toad plush - maybe they would).

myron61090
05-11-2004, 05:33 AM
not that I've ever seen them TRY to sell Toad plush - maybe they would

you never know......
:rolleyes:

ppmuse
05-11-2004, 07:27 AM
The way things are going, if the ride...

...doesn't have long lines...
...is extremely popular, but costs too much to keep up...
...or is an oldie but a goodie that nobody goes on...

...they are either going to let it slowly fall apart, like The Tiki Room, redo the ride as an "up to date" version, or replace the ride completely. I think this will probably eventually happen to Snow White and Pinocchio. The two rides that you usually can get on relatively fast. I was shocked in WDW took out Mr Toads and put in Winnie the Pooh. When I was there, Mr. Toad still had longer lines than Pinochio. So if they do put new movie dark rides in, I think those two locations would be first to go. I've also read on here that they should put a dark ride where the boats use to be. An awesome idea, especially for Little Mermaid. Wouldn't mind an albatross ride though Rescuers, or maybe following the Great Mouse Detective around.

Not a big fan of Pocohantes or Mulan, but they are growing on me. Emperor's New Groove seemed kind of like a television movie, so probably not a great idea for a ride. Brother Bear has it's possibilities, along with Alladin, Beauty and the Beast, and even Hunchback. Guess we have to wait to see when they redo Fantasyland in about 30 years, after they're finished messing up Tomorrowland, that is.

jrad32
05-11-2004, 07:54 AM
There is certainly room to add dark rides to Fantasyland without getting rid of any that are already in place. The hill where the fantasyland skyway station is located could certainly be a good spot for such a ride and the already mentioned motorboat lagoon. If they were to put a Beauty and the Beast ride where the skyway station is and a mermaid ride in the lagoon there would be a lot of happy guests.

As mentioned before by myself and others, they could then add a new area where Big Thunder Ranch and the Hunchback theater are located. My personal choice for theme here would be a Tall Tales Area featuring Pecos Bill, John Henry, Pual Bunyon and Babe and Johnny Appleseed, from Disneys Tall Tales cartoon. I think it would be a great segway between Fantasyland and Frontierland.

They could have a D or E ticket high capcity ride in the mode of Pirates or Mansion with these characters. Also a restaurant, maybe drawing on Big Thunder BBQ, which seemed to be very well liked. Again I'm not the only one that has mentioned this, but whatever they did it just seems like it would be a huge impact to add the rides to Fantasyland and then move forward with the Big Thunder area expansion.

Of course we'll probably never see this because they have to fix the problems with the half-day park across the esplanade.

BrerFox
05-11-2004, 10:50 AM
Since Alien at WDW is getting a Stitch overlay and the recent Buzz addition to DL, I got to thinking. All the dark rides in Fantasyland in DL, and WDW for that matter, are themed after classic disney animated films. Snow White, Peter Pan, Pinnochio, Pooh (even though its in critter country) These films are many many years old and classics among giants, the same goes for the rides themselves. They are the smallest and perhaps shortest rides in the park, yet sometimes have longer wait times then Indy or other E tickets. So what do you think will happen many years down the road when the generations that grew up on Snow White, Pinochio, etc. are replaced by the generations that grew up on Alladin, Lion King, Emperors New Groove, etc. Do you think we'll ever see these "classic" rides replaced or "overlayed" with new themes?

Will "Peter Pan's Flight" ever become "Alladin's Flight Through Agrabah"? Or "Pinnochios Daring Journey" become "Timon and Pumbas Run Though The Sahara"
What do you guys think?

You have no idea how many times I've talked about an Alladin/ Peter Pan type coaster! Like with an overhead track and swinging carpets and all that jazz! :D No, Really!! i've said It a LOT! Kinda creepy that you also brought it up. i have the perfect place to put that kind of atttraction!
They need to do something with the SkyWay station in Fantasyland. So why not remove all that plant life (Even thought it is really beautiful :crying: )

DrIndianaJones
05-13-2004, 01:43 PM
A Beauty and the Beast ride would fit over there at the old Skyway loading area. Take out a bit of the Casey Jr. & Storybook ride if you have too in order to make it fit.

Pirate Girl
05-13-2004, 01:57 PM
That and disembarking directly into a shop :rolleyes:

Just wait, in a few more years they will have figured out how to make the queue run through a shop before you even get on the ride, and then again when you disembark. This of course will include collectible before and after pins, photos, t-shirts, and autograph books. ;)

Pirate Girl
05-13-2004, 02:01 PM
TARZAN?!?! MULAN?!?!

Both not classics, not even good movies.

I disagree! They may not be classics like Snow White or Peter Pan, but they were good movies!

Tigertail777
05-13-2004, 03:25 PM
Have to keep in mind the great thing about a RIDE is its a immersive enviroment: you may not like the movies they are based on, but if the rides are done well, you may like the ride (or attraction) better than the Movie itself. Mulan I liked I wasnt overly gung ho over it, but thought it was nice, however I think a ride based on it would be a wonderful and charming experience.

cstephens
05-13-2004, 04:37 PM
A Beauty and the Beast ride would fit over there at the old Skyway loading area. Take out a bit of the Casey Jr. & Storybook ride if you have too in order to make it fit.

I would disagree with taking out a portion of an existing attraction in order to make room for a new attraction.