PDA

View Full Version : Tower of Terror Model

imagineerhopeful
05-09-2004, 07:14 PM
http://www.sheezyart.com/posts/249_lg.jpg

I'm pretty much done. Its nearly 3 feet and has a few slight differences from the actual attraction. I'm sure you will be able to point them out...

Anyways... I didn't win the school competition for presenting these final products, so I'm gonna blow this baby up. (Yus I'm a tad depressed, I spent a good deal of time on this, and it turns out the judges found a fashion design project that took half a week to create superior. Ok time to shut up I'm ranting.)

ToursbabeC3po
05-09-2004, 07:54 PM
I think you did a great job! <patting you on the back> ;)
Toursbabe

mrs_toad
05-09-2004, 08:14 PM
That looks really GREAT! I could tell that you put a lot of hours into it! Don't blow it up...put it in your backyard and charge the neighbors an admission price to see it, maybe throw in a cup of lemonade. If I was your neighbor I would pay at least $5.00 to see your beautiful project. :)

CaliforniaCrazy
05-09-2004, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't blow that work of art up, I would sell it to the highest bidder. You have done a wonderful job!

BTW, what did you use to create it? I'm thinking of creating a little model of the TOT myself, out of foam board.

Bruce Bergman
05-09-2004, 10:59 PM
<Snip the Image> Anyways... I didn't win the school competition for presenting these final products, so I'm gonna blow this baby up. (Yus I'm a tad depressed, I spent a good deal of time on this, and it turns out the judges found a fashion design project that took half a week to create superior. Ok time to shut up I'm ranting.)

Don't do anything to that model until you have it all painted and detailed, and make it just as accurate as you can get it.

(Go take pictures of the real ride building from many angles, so you can tweak the model. The lower floors and Lobby look to be too short - check your scale, push out the front of the building, and get the trellis and Gift Shop side right. Do some of the landscaping and the fences out front, put it on a base and paint in the black asphalt street and the concrete curbs & sidewalks.)

Next: take pictures of it, lots of pictures, from many angles including several "street level" POV shots with clear skies as background...

And then realize that there are Grown Men and Women working at Walt Disney Imagineering (as well as at architecture firms and planners all over the world) that do the Exact Same Thing every day - They build models of buildings under design so they can see how they will turn out, and they get paid well for it.

Box that model up and put it in your attic, and put all those photos in your first artist's portfolio.

And people working in Movie and TV Miniatures get to build detailed buildings like that to scale, using special materials and methods, only to have a Pyrotechnician blow it up on camera. If the modelmaker built it right (so it comes apart believably), and the Pyro Tech used the right charges (not too big), the Cinematographer placed the high-speed cameras properly, and the Gaffers lit it right, you simply can't tell from the end results that was really a miniature building blowing up.

So the contest judges didn't like it - What the heck do they know? ;)

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

imagineerhopeful
05-10-2004, 08:50 AM
I think you did a great job! <patting you on the back>

Thank you.

That looks really GREAT! I could tell that you put a lot of hours into it!

Thanks again. I started at the end of last summer.

...charge the neighbors an admission price to see it, maybe throw in a cup of lemonade.

They have all seen it already. The kids had fun playing with all of the effects.

I would sell it to the highest bidder.

A fire safety firm that did work on the real tower wants me to loan it to them to use in their waiting room to give examples of their works to potential customers. They -of course- don't want to pay :rolleyes:

BTW, what did you use to create it? I'm thinking of creating a little model of the TOT myself, out of foam board.

I used plyboard of various thickness, easter egg halves for the domes, and other fun thingers. I used foam board to make the sign (which glows in the dark much like it lights up on the real thing).

EDIT: There is also a single working elevator shaft in the center (you can see the open doors in the pic), and a strobe light hidden inside the recess of the burn scar.

So the contest judges didn't like it - What the heck do they know?

Absolutely nothing. They were parents, with little or no background in business presentation. But... I still didn't win :crying:

Tigertail777
05-10-2004, 10:03 AM
A fire safety firm that did work on the real tower wants me to loan it to them to use in their waiting room to give examples of their works to potential customers. They -of course- don't want to pay

Ok this is a awesome chance for you to get your name out there. Pay or not, you really should let them do this, just tell them the only stipulation is that your business cards (or flyers) must be by the model at all times. Being an artist is all about getting your name out there until the right people notice. I would also stipulate that it has to be displayed in a area that you approve of (just so it doesnt get stuck somewhere that its gonna get broken or something). The fact that they want to display it though should make you very proud, you really ought to run with this! Make up a business card that says "professional model builder" or something like that, and run run run! (also have them put a sign with your name on it next to it as well).

Morrigoon
05-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Uhh... I'd send the photos in to Imagineering and ask for an internship. Be sure to state right out that this is a copy of their design, not an original work (else they have to run it past the lawyers who'll send you a letter stating that no one saw your work).

Freerider127
05-10-2004, 05:51 PM
I think your model is great and you can even go further with it, DONT blow it up, i wish i had the talent to make something like that. :)

iluvwebster2004
05-11-2004, 06:40 AM
It looks like a work in progress. Keep working at it. Add textures, age the building and some detail to the signs. If you keep at it, it will look really nice.

disNeytEen
05-11-2004, 01:19 PM
:eek: amazing with all the details you said about it just amazing if we had more people like you working for Disney then Disney would be the way it should be. I agree with Tigertail777 run with this and congratulations on the offer from the fire safety firm