PDA

View Full Version : "Drawn to the Magic" premiered today [SPOILERS]

AVP
05-07-2004, 11:14 AM
The new street show that replaced Chance to Shine debuted this morning at DCA. I'm not entirely sure what the final name of the show is - I heard it called both "Drawn to Animation" and "Drawn to the Magic." Given the lyrics of the theme song, I think the second one is more accurate.

They are supposed to do a few more shows today and over the weekend. I'm really curious to see what the rest of you think. Based on one viewing, I'm not likely to become a fan.

AVP

cstephens
05-07-2004, 11:46 AM
Can you tell us a little about how the show goes? Is it like Chance to Shine in that they sing or is it a comedy troupe? What's the story line, if there is one? Maybe put the info in spoiler tag for those who don't want to know. Thanks.

AVP
05-07-2004, 03:06 PM
I don't know how to explain the show. Someone else who saw it called it a really, really bad Castle forecourt show.

Basically, three "animators" wheel mobile easels onto the sidewalk in front of the Animation Building and set up shop. There is an audio speaker nearby, poorly hidden by a potted plant and a drape of black cloth. Since C2S didn't have visible speakers, I really hope this was just a one-time issue.

Once they were set up, they grabbed three kids from the street and danced in a circle with them. I honestly don't know if this is supposed to be a warm-up bit, designed to gather a crowd, or if this is the actual start of the show.

Then they seque into talking about "magic" and "characters," and break into a short song. Then they stop again, and bring more kids up on the sidewalk with them, and have the kids "model" for them while they "draw." Then another song while they return the kids to their parents. This bit turns into a full production number, with the animators basically singing bits of their "favorite songs" at one another.

At the finale, the character that each animator was drawing comes out from the "exit" door of the Animation Building, and joins in a little song and dance number. The characters are Snow White, Peter Pan and Sorcerer Mickey. That was actually MY favorite part - Disneyland doesn't have a walkaround Sorcerer, (unless you go to ToonTown), so this is pretty cool. I would swear I've seen that Peter riding a big green dragon before....

None of the characters speak during the show - it was theorized by someone I was with that they are "character department" CMs, and thus not from the right union to have a speaking part. After the show, the audience is invited into the Animation Building - I assume there is a character meet and greet inside but I didn't have time to go check it out.

As they left, they handed the three drawings out to kids in the audience - that was a nice touch, because it looked like they were real charcoal sketches - they were even signed (all three by the same person)

Each animator gets quite a lot of vocal time in, and they were all very good (two familiar faces), but the show has NO plot. And it just lurches along - too many "down" moments, and no direction. Several groups just picked up and left during the show, because it looked like it was over at several points.

But I saw the second show of the very first day, so I don't know if this *is* the show, or if it will be tweaked. But it is nowhere as compelling as C2S was for me, and I certainly didn't walk off singing like I did every time I saw that show.

AVP

cstephens
05-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the info. It sounds like it could be fun, or be a total bore. But it's enough that I'll check it out for myself at some point.

Alex S.
05-07-2004, 06:01 PM
I thoroughly despised Chance to Shine (I was always amazed that so many liked it) so I more than willing to give this a shot.

cryan71
05-07-2004, 07:57 PM
Despising Chance to Shine?

That's mousepad sacrilege!

GoldenEars
05-07-2004, 09:47 PM
I was at DCA today and noticed the set up of potted plants and hidden (altho not very well and quite tacky) speakers on both sides of the animation building. I suspected it was for the new show that replaced C2S, so I asked one of the cast members near-by. Sure enough, I was right. The 3 o'clock performance was going to start in 45 mins, but I couldn't stay. So I wasn't able to catch any of the performances today.

I plan on going into DCA tomorrow to see it then, and then I'll make my judgement call on the show. Something tells me it won't be near as good as Chance To Shine was, but I'll try to keep an open mind and be positive!

On an ending note...how could anyone despise C2S??? It was one of the best things DCA did for that Park and it ALWAYS drew a crowd and got great reviews from guests. Why Disney axed it is beyond me. Infact, it was rather sad going into DCA today and not being able to hear Groove 66 or C2S, but life must go on, I know!

I'll state my opinion of the new show tomorrow...and I'm sure all of you just can't wait to hear it, LOL! :D

Patrick

MonorailMan
05-07-2004, 09:52 PM
I thoroughly despised Chance to Shine (I was always amazed that so many liked it) so I more than willing to give this a shot.
I saw it once, and never really liked it either.

ChipmunkStar
05-08-2004, 12:08 AM
Haven't seen Drawn to the Magic yet... But word is that it's written generically enoug hthat Snow White, Peter Pan, and Sorceror Mickey can be replaced by, oh lets say... Woody perhaps? I think there are a few more characters that they may utilize in the show, but it will only be three characters per day/show.

But no, AVP, no dragon for that boy :)

jafar
05-08-2004, 12:27 AM
The regular characters will be Woody, Sorcerer Mickey, and Cinderella, but other characters can "sub in" for each role. It's a really cute show... sort of Animazement lite, with a fun medley of Disney songs narrated by animators. And for character fans, it's a chance to meet the three most popular characters in the parks with shorter lines and a fun atmosphere (the Animation lobby). As you may have noticed if you saw it more than once, the show has multiple formats for the beginning segment, which adds some variety and fun to the "audience involvement" segment.

Simply because of the characters alone, this show will generate a lot more interest than Chance to Shine's modest audiences. But it's also a lot more "Disney", and will help generate more interest in the Animation building. If you like characters or Disney songs, definitely check it out. Otherwise, you'll probably just enjoy the energy it brings to the area.

GoldenEars
05-08-2004, 08:37 PM
I went to see the new street show today, *Drawn to Animation* and my opinion on the show was OK. It certainly didn't *WOW ME* like C2S did and like AVP stated, it really has no plot to it. The performers did their very best to be entertaining, but it also looked like they weren't very comfortable with the whole routine.

It just seemed hokey during certain parts and not timed very well. The story line was not tight and when guests were asked to help out the performers, that was dull and boring too.

I love Disney music as much as the next person, but I didn't like how they through this all together. To me, C2S was very original and had a perfect story line throughout their whole routine. The music, songs and style were a perfect theme/fit for Hollywood.

This show could have potential if they tweeked it, otherwise, I don't see them having the same crowd enthusiasm like they did with C2S. Infact, the show I saw did not have near the crowd that C2S had during each of their performances. And when the show was over that I saw, the applaud it got only seemed to happen out of courtesy.

However, what I did like about it was the actual main song they sang and the fact that Snow White, Peter Pan and Sorcerer Mickey comes out at the end. And it was very nice seeing familiar faces playing the animators. Big kudos to them for their fine performances and giving it their all.

I will see it again (and again), to give it a second chance, cuz I'm hoping it will grow on me. But the bottom line is...I can't believe they got rid of C2S for this new show. But like I said, it may take time for it to become more solid and tight. However, I remember seeing C2S for the very first time when they first started nearly 3 years ago and fell in love with it...I was hooked.

So let's hope this new show will grow and get better!!

Patrick

cstephens
05-08-2004, 09:24 PM
I'll put myself in the middle with Chance to Shine. I didn't love it, and I didn't hate it. I only started watching it periodically because there were performers in it that I knew from other shows, but after they left, I didn't watch it any more. I wouldn't have been adverse to watching it if someone else wanted to, but I wouldn't have gone out of my way to watch it.

TP2000
05-08-2004, 10:03 PM
I haven't seen the new Animator show, but I would give Chance To Shine a 6 out of 10. It just sort of seemed like pleasant, but rather predictable and slightly pointless theme park fare. It's no big loss that it is gone.

I was hoping this new show would be an improvement over CTS, but with the tepid reviews so far I'm a little worried. I need to check it out for myself.

wonderful
05-09-2004, 11:39 PM
I like just about everything about this show: Disney songs, Disney characters, and a somewhat goofy plot (a la the old DL atmosphere shows).
Yes, the show is not tight as far as plot goes, but follows a long tradition of DL Park shows that were more song and dance numbers... guests respond to that. Today, after the show, half of Hollywood Blvd followed the show into Animation! That was very nice to see, and hopefully this show will generate interest and traffic into one of the best attractions in DCA.
As for the comparison to "Chance to Shine", well, I think it's really apples and oranges. I loved Chance to Shine, but I doubt it will likely be missed by most guests (just like "DeVine" whom everyone mourned for a week or two and was never mentioned afterward). Most importantly, this show offers a lot more "Disney" to a park that needs all the Disney it can get. Not to mention a great chance for guests to meet three characters at once.
My only gripe, if it even qualifies as such, is that many guests walking by didn't know it was a show... and just kept walking. I noticed what looks like some very spiffy set pieces back stage for the show, so hopefully those will help, but I don't think it would hurt to have the costumes be a little more outlandish or over the top or have a character as part of the mix from the start (wasn't Donald a painter in the park at one point?). People see a character, they know it's a show. :cool:

LSPoorEeyorick
05-10-2004, 08:58 AM
On an ending note...how could anyone despise C2S???

Because it endlessly grated on my nerves, and I didn't think it was written well.

CoasterMatt
05-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Was Chance To Shine anywhere near as awful as Groove 66?

Bruce Bergman
05-10-2004, 10:10 AM
Was Chance To Shine anywhere near as awful as Groove 66?

Actually, CtS was an excellent little show! :D They had a group of singers who could stay on key and deliver, over and over. I'm only sorry I didn't manage to finagle some good recordings of the show. Good as in "House Mix" from the wireless mikes and the backing track, clean. (Crowd noise and reactions are fine for a one-shot, but not necessarily for archives.)

The music was canned, and the basic script pretty well nailed down (Disney loves to do that) - but they did record the music sectionally, so the Actresses could stop and play with the kids and other 'recruited actors' from the audience without worrying too much about timing. There was an Entertainment CM in Stage Blacks standing in the shadows with a Panja remote control :geek: calling up the tracks and effects as required, adjusting levels, etc.

Groove 66's (as cast at DCA) main problem was they had one or two performers in the group who couldn't hold pitch to save their life :eek: , and they would drag down the whole ship with them. And it's not just me, I could spot the other people in the audience with good ears, we were all wincing at the same semitone-off sour notes - while the tone-challenged just ate it all up... :rolleyes:

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

RStar
05-10-2004, 03:49 PM

I have to agree with you on this one Alex...........