PDA

View Full Version : Launch Start for Space Mountain announced (no one else noticed??)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Disney Nick
05-06-2004, 01:58 PM
While Disneyland's Space Mountain still won't have a loop like the Paris version, the ride will feature a launch start, instead of the familiar long climb to the top of the first hill

No one else seems to have mentioned this from the Disneyland update today. Maybe I'm just slow today or it's been known for some time, but it was definitely news to me. Seems pretty cool...

Gauchograd99
05-06-2004, 02:03 PM
No one else seems to have mentioned this from the Disneyland update today. Maybe I'm just slow today or it's been known for some time, but it was definitely news to me. Seems pretty cool...

That seems a bit strange... I don't recall them saying much about that during the presentation yesterday. Then again, I couldn't hear them. :rolleyes:

Was it just me or did the track layout they showed on the screen look like the one that was in place? Anyone notice this??

olegc
05-06-2004, 02:18 PM
It has been alleged on several other web sites and here on the boards as well that
1) there will be a launch start and..
2) the track will be of the original format. The changes will come from the special effect surrounding you while riding...

Disney Nick
05-06-2004, 02:23 PM
It has been alleged on several other web sites and here on the boards as well that
1) there will be a launch start and..
2) the track will be of the original format. The changes will come from the special effect surrounding you while riding...

I never heard it seriously expected to be a launch start anywhere, just more of something that would've been nice but that we wouldn't have gotten.

AVP
05-06-2004, 02:25 PM
The launch has been widely rumored for a while now. It wasn't "announced" in the event as such. And I could be very very wrong, but the press materials seemed to confirm it.

I don't have the press release in front of me, but one of the myriad sheets of paper we got yesterday mentioned an all-new start and all-new finale for the ride. From the description we got, it sounds like you'll be launched up a tunnel, (inside the ride, not from the outside like in Paris), and the first thing you'll "see" is a giant meteor you manage to "avoid" as you begin the ride. They call it a "near miss," and a "surprise in space" (Those are the phrases I remember - I'll have to check the press release again tonight)

AVP

disNeytEen
05-06-2004, 02:46 PM
and Don't forget "Rocket Mountain"

AVP
05-06-2004, 03:05 PM
OK, Disneyland *just* uploaded the press releases to the media site, so here's exactly what it says:
The boarding area will feature a new hi-tech launch port and an updated vehicle probe. Guests will feel as if they have a first-hand look into space, as a space station rotates around the earth. After launching through a disorienting tunnel, riders will have a close encounter with a large meteorite. “We call it our ‘surprise in the sky,'” added Braverman. (bold emphasis mine)

AVP

Pedro2NR
05-06-2004, 03:19 PM
What are the details of Rocket Mountain?

zapppop
05-06-2004, 03:22 PM
I wanna know what's the deal with the gold paint on the mountain, as shown in the picture @ Disneyland.com.

disNeytEen
05-06-2004, 03:45 PM
I wanna know what's the deal with the gold paint on the mountain, as shown in the picture @ Disneyland.com.

What part of the site did you see this at

lazyboy97O
05-06-2004, 04:08 PM
What part of the site did you see this at
It's on the 50th site under Disneyland if you click on Space Mountain. I think gold highlights may look rather spiffy.

MonorailMan
05-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Holy Gold, Zapppop! Your right! Look here (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/special/golden/index?id=DLR50thHomepagePage), and then click Disneyland Resort, then Space Mountain. Yuck! :(

Gemini Cricket
05-06-2004, 04:26 PM
With a launched start, the ride is not a clone of the old one. So they did improve on it a bit. This will help the line move faster. The slowest part of the ride is that long climb up...

Cool.

I'm hoping the gold coloring (if they do it) is temporary...
:)

Biscuit
05-06-2004, 04:32 PM
With a launched start, the ride is not a clone of the old one. So they did improve on it a bit. This will help the line move faster. The slowest part of the ride is that long climb up...

Awww but I loved the climb...I almost felt it was the best part of the ride (well, the only one I can remember coz in all the times I did it on my trip, I can't remember a thing about the rest of it, other than screaming!). I loved making the controllers laugh singing and doing the hand actions to "We Will Rock You" each time I went through.

Ahh well, I'll be back (hopefully) soon after it reopens to re-experience it. I can only hope it's not a huge FAST launch like Cali Screamin'...YIKES!

Ghoulish Delight
05-06-2004, 04:36 PM
I'm not so sure the "gold" isn't just shadow. In that drawing, the 'gold' seems to be only where shadows would be, and the shadows given off by the ribs in the front center look like they've got the same yellowish hew.

Pedro2NR
05-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Holy Gold, Zapppop! Your right! Look here (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/special/golden/index?id=DLR50thHomepagePage), and then click Disneyland Resort, then Space Mountain. Yuck! :(

I see the mountain gold on the map picture. but I think they are trying to simulate the mountain when it was painted when the New Tommorowland came out like in these pictures (http://www.cafetiki.com/space/pictures-anaheim.htm).

Not Afraid
05-06-2004, 05:07 PM
I see the mountain gold on the map picture. but I think they are trying to simulate the mountain when it was painted when the New Tommorowland came out like in these pictures (http://www.cafetiki.com/space/pictures-anaheim.htm).
The Gold is just a shadow in the drawing. Added for simulate depth. Common artistic "trick". I wouldn't worry.

cryan71
05-06-2004, 05:19 PM
I wish they would just add one unexpected dip in the track.

Cadaverous Pallor
05-06-2004, 05:44 PM
The boarding area will feature a new hi-tech launch port and an updated vehicle probe. Guests will feel as if they have a first-hand look into space, as a space station rotates around the earth. After launching through a disorienting tunnel, riders will have a close encounter with a large meteorite. “We call it our ‘surprise in the sky,'” added Braverman. Ok, this does not say that it will have a "launch start", like Screamin'. The term launch can simply mean what Space had before, with "launch" used to make it sound like you're in a rocket.

I'll believe it when we get a better quote to go from.

I said it too many times....launch launch launch....

lazyboy97O
05-06-2004, 06:28 PM
Now that its been mentioned that does lookmore like shadowing. Oh well, I still think a white and gold Space would look good if done properly.

The problem i think of with an LIM start is that it either be extremely slow or have to be done very precisely since the rest of the coaster isn't designed to take the trains starting at high speeds. It would have to make it so that you are going nearly the same speed as the chain lift at the top. That just seems a little overly complicated to do. Now maybe faster lights and a quiter chain or maybe LSM (doesn't Screamin' use LSM like a chain?) to quitely lift you up seems like the easier and more practical choice. But then again this is supposed to be Disney.

DefyingGravity
05-06-2004, 06:32 PM
So what's the deal with this "Rocket Mountain"? Is it happening? I'm just kind of confused.

MykeXero
05-06-2004, 07:30 PM
Dont read too much into "Launch". -_-

As neat as it will be if its true, i just belive they are using some themed phrasing.

Im sure as the track nears completion inside the mountain, some CMs will notice if the lifts look any diffrent.

The "Near Miss" is the same as mentioned in HK`s version of Space Mtn, their arial pics seem to suggest there is no launch...that its just the same 3 lift version.

Why go up the first small lift, go through the old meteor shower section (likely rethemed) ....launch quickly up the 2nd lift...then go up a 3rd lift slowly again...makes no sense to me. Slow QUICK slow...nah sounds silly.

If there would be a launch, it would probably remove the need for the 3rd lift, as the coaster car could coast and turn up to the highest point on the track due to the momentum of the launch. Then once at the top it could resume the classic track layout.

So when the track is closer to completion (which is pretty soon), we will know for sure.

disNeytEen
05-06-2004, 07:42 PM
So what's the deal with this "Rocket Mountain"? Is it happening? I'm just kind of confused.

Supposeply Space Mountain is supposed to turn into a diffrent type of ride at night re-named "Rocket Mountain" http://www.cinemazement.com/wd3.htm here at this website it talks a little about it. Im confused a little to so if anyone knows anything e-mail me at utjazz_12@yahoo.com please

Thank you

-D.T.

Not Afraid
05-06-2004, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the theming/effects inside Space are different. However, the track is supposed to be exactey the same. Launch is what it did before. I would guess that it is the same launch as before will new effects and theming.

cemeinke
05-06-2004, 08:36 PM
I here this time the cookie will be oatmeal raisin